Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Alexh614 Offline
New Trainer

Default RMT. (Or what I have of it.)

I know how cliche this sounds, but I'm pretty new to competitive battling and I realize you guys must go over tons of these noobish teams, but here's a new one!

Without further ado...

Aerodactyl@Focus Sash
Jolly
252 Attack/252 Speed
- EQ
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Ice Fang

Standard lead Aero, basically functions simply to get in there, lay down SR and get in an attack or two.

PorygonZ@Choice Specs
Timid
252 SpA/252 Speed
- Tri-Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Shadow-ball

My special sweeper...He worked well for me in Diamond, but I might scrap him depending on what you guys say.

Metagross@Life Orb
Adamant
112 HP/252 Attack/12 Def/132 Speed
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch/Explosion
- Agility

Pretty much Agility and sweep...Not sure if I'll keep this guy either depending on how many counters there are for him now.

Umbreon@Chople Berry
Careful
252 HP/164 Def/92 Sp. Def
- Wish
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Yawn

I was thinking of giving it some Attack EV's and using Payback rather than Yawn, Idk though. Input here please. Basically it's just Mean Look and then BP to a counter.

Aaand as for the last two I'm not sure what I need. Maybe a physical wall and/or Rapid Spinner? You guys tell me, I realize this is probably a pretty crap team, but I welcome all criticism as harsh as it may be. I need it. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: RMT. (Or what I have of it.)

Wow. Another Aerodactyl lead without Taunt. Please replace either Ice Fang or Earthquake with Taunt, preferably EQ because your Metagross has already gotten EQ covered quite well. Taunt allows you to stop your opponent from setting up entry hazards and making other sorts of set-ups. Aero is pretty fast, and with 394 speed pretty much the only thing it won't outrun is Ninjask. Rock Slide is good because of the potential flinchhax, but then again, Stone Edge only has 10% less accuracy, has 100 BP, and a nice critical hit rate. It really is a question of accuracy vs. power. You can try using both of them and see how they work for you.

So Porygon-Z should have Dark Pulse instead of Psychic/Shadow Ball. Psychic has horrible type coverage and should not really be used outside of STAB. Dark Pulse nails both Ghosts and Psychics, and has a nice flinch rate as well. You might also want to consider replacing Thunderbolt with Hidden Power (Fighting), and having a Starmie as a Rapid Spinner that can use T-Bolt. HP Fighting will allow you to OHKO Tyranitar and Weavile, and certainly nail Heatran where it hurts.

Your Metagross set looks decent. I would go for Thunderpunch over Explosion though. AgilityGross works well as a late game sweeper, and it's better to go for more coverage.

It should be noted that there are better options than Umbreon in the OU tier. Although Umbreon isn't that bad of a pokémon, the only thing it is capable of doing (that is not performed better by other pokes) is trap-passing. With so many pokemon with Close Combat and other Fighting-type attacks around, Umbreon will definitely have a hard time surviving. Perhaps you can replace it with a Physical Tank, like Hippowdon or Gliscor maybe?

As for the other two pokes, you want a spinner. I suggested Starmie before, but Tentacruel will also do. Tentacruel can also set up entry hazards of its own (Toxic Spikes) and can wall special attacks pretty effectively with base 120 SDef.

If you use Starmie, then you'll need a Special Wall on the team, and there's nothing that performs that role better than Blissey does. Or maybe you can pick a mixed wall, like Bronzong. Heck, even Dusknoir or Spiritomb might work as they can act as physical-attacker cripplers (with Will-o-Wisp) and spin blockers all at the same time.

Don't worry man, just play a lot (on ShoddyBattle / NetBattle) and you'll get used to the gameplay and what to expect from specific pokémon.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Alexh614 Offline
New Trainer

Default Re: RMT. (Or what I have of it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenVirus View Post
Wow. Another Aerodactyl lead without Taunt. Please replace either Ice Fang or Earthquake with Taunt, preferably EQ because your Metagross has already gotten EQ covered quite well. Taunt allows you to stop your opponent from setting up entry hazards and making other sorts of set-ups. Aero is pretty fast, and with 394 speed pretty much the only thing it won't outrun is Ninjask. Rock Slide is good because of the potential flinchhax, but then again, Stone Edge only has 10% less accuracy, has 100 BP, and a nice critical hit rate. It really is a question of accuracy vs. power. You can try using both of them and see how they work for you.

So Porygon-Z should have Dark Pulse instead of Psychic/Shadow Ball. Psychic has horrible type coverage and should not really be used outside of STAB. Dark Pulse nails both Ghosts and Psychics, and has a nice flinch rate as well. You might also want to consider replacing Thunderbolt with Hidden Power (Fighting), and having a Starmie as a Rapid Spinner that can use T-Bolt. HP Fighting will allow you to OHKO Tyranitar and Weavile, and certainly nail Heatran where it hurts.

Your Metagross set looks decent. I would go for Thunderpunch over Explosion though. AgilityGross works well as a late game sweeper, and it's better to go for more coverage.

It should be noted that there are better options than Umbreon in the OU tier. Although Umbreon isn't that bad of a pokémon, the only thing it is capable of doing (that is not performed better by other pokes) is trap-passing. With so many pokemon with Close Combat and other Fighting-type attacks around, Umbreon will definitely have a hard time surviving. Perhaps you can replace it with a Physical Tank, like Hippowdon or Gliscor maybe?

As for the other two pokes, you want a spinner. I suggested Starmie before, but Tentacruel will also do. Tentacruel can also set up entry hazards of its own (Toxic Spikes) and can wall special attacks pretty effectively with base 120 SDef.

If you use Starmie, then you'll need a Special Wall on the team, and there's nothing that performs that role better than Blissey does. Or maybe you can pick a mixed wall, like Bronzong. Heck, even Dusknoir or Spiritomb might work as they can act as physical-attacker cripplers (with Will-o-Wisp) and spin blockers all at the same time.

Don't worry man, just play a lot (on ShoddyBattle / NetBattle) and you'll get used to the gameplay and what to expect from specific pokémon.
Wow, this has helped so much. Aerodactyl with Taunt is genius, and I see what you mean with putting Dark Pulse on P-Z rather than Psychic. Glad I got something right with Metagross. Starmie sounds like a good idea, but my only concern with it is that it's so fragile that with one Rapid Spin it'll be down and out. Would Foretress be a better Rapid Spinner or is Starmie the better option? As for Blissey, I've never really given it a chance, I've always figured that it's used so much there would be a ton of counters for it. I also might do what you said and go with a Bronzong or a Spiritomb.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, it'll be taken heavily into consideration.