Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Kid_Eternity Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default My Latest Emerald Team!!!

Okay, after days to weeks of hard work, I've finally modified my team, okay, here is my current roster.

Note: All are level 50

MAIN TEAM

Charizard Naughty Atk 134

Flamethrower
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace

Gorebyss Bold Sp. Atk 165

Ice Beam
Surf
Amnesia
Psychic

Metagross Adamant Atk 198

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Sludge Bomb

Absol Naughty Atk 193

Return
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
Shadow Ball

Jolteon Rash Sp. Atk 155 Spd. 187

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball (sorry, wasted the tutor for sub)
Agility
Baton Pass

Slaking Naughty Atk. 229 HP 230

Slash
Focus Punch or Shadow Ball (which is better?)
Earthquake
Aerial Ace

BACK UP

Swellow Naughty Atk. 135 Spd. 146

Aerial Ace
Facade
Steel Wing
Swords Dance

Hariyama Lonely Atk 179

Brick Break
Belly Drum
Earthquake
Knock Off
Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 AM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: My Latest Emerald Team!!!

So is this for competitive battling or just for fun?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Kid_Eternity Offline
Amateur Trainer

A little bit of both, why? What's wrong with that?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 PM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

It's just that if it's for competitive play, posting EVs and items would be preferred, and there would many other important things to take into consideration.

Anyways, I'm going to rate your team as if it were for competitive play.

CHARIZARD
Charizard does much better as a pure Special Sweeper. 109 Special Attack beats 84 Attack pretty badly. You shouldn't go for the Mixed Sweeper either, as Charizard doesn't have much to invest in terms of defenses. However, if you must use it as a physical sweeper (it seems like you're leaning more on the physical side), I suggest you get an Adamant natured one instead. As Charizard is not too stable on the defensive end of the spectrum, and the special-based Thunderbolt is common on all competitive teams, Charizard cannot sacrifice any Special Attack stats. The Bellyzard set is the most common physical Charizard set used today, but it requires a lot of set-up, so not a lot of people take it into consideration. So if you're planning on using purely physical Charizard, I suggest you replace Flamethrower with Fire Punch. As Charizard is fragile but fast, you might want to replace Aerial Ace with a move like Substitute in order to set up the Swords Dances. Suggested EVs are 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and 4 Defense / HP, and the Salac Berry would be a good item to use as it increases Speed when you're at low health.

GOREBYSS
To be telling the truth, I'm not too familiar with Gorebyss, as I haven't really seen many people using it. It's much too slow to be of much use in competitive battling, but if you must, I suggest the Modest nature instead of Bold. The set looks pretty good, except you should replace Psychic with Hidden Power Ground if you can get access to it. As Gorebyss is extremely fragile, you should invest at least 50 EVs into HP, 252 SAtk, and the rest on Speed. Leftovers would probably benefit it the most as it has low HP.

METAGROSS
Metagross definitely does need Swords Dance. It's too slow to be doing any sort of effective set-up, so running Agility on it is a suggested option. You can also run a Chioce Band set with MM / EQ / Rock Slide / Sludge Bomb. You might also want to consider Explosion, as it counters bulky water types like Milotic, Suicune, and Swampert.

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spd

ABSOL
Naughty nature is a big no-no. Absol is even more fragile than Charizard, so losing that extra bit of Special Defense could be fatal for it. Adamant would be preferred (it's really the only way you can go). The set looks pretty good, except for the Return. Return should only be used if it actually recieves STAB damage (so only on normal types). I would suggest Taunt (so enemies cannot use Roar / Whirlwind to screw up your setup) or Substitute (offers some extra protection for the set-up).

As a BP, Absol needs A LOT of HP
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spd
The Attack doesn't matter, as you will be getting SD boosts, and it doesn't serve as your primary sweeper. Leftovers would do fine on a BPing Absol.

JOLTEON
Why not Timid or Modest nature? Oh gee, now I see that you wasted the Sub tutor. Um, anyways, Jolteon looks okay in that case. You want max Special Attack and Speed EVs. Leftovers would work wonders.

SLAKING
This guy is pretty beast. Adamant nature is preferred again as Slaking's SDef is a mediocre 65. Really, the best way would be to go for an all-out physical choice banded Slaking. It can only attack once every two turns, so you have to make its attacks HURT. I guess Shadow Ball is a necessity, because otherwise Ghost types screw you over. Anyways, Return instead of Aerial Ace, and Focus Punch instead of Slash. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd.

I'm not really gonna go into detail with the last two.
Swellow => No SD (you don't need it THAT much) replace with Return. Not going to say anything about the natures.

Hariyama => Again, not going to say anything about the nature. Cross Chop > Brick Break as it does a hell of a lot more damage. But I guess accuracy is always good as well...you also need a Rock Slide in there to hit flying types.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Eternity View Post
A little bit of both, why? What's wrong with that?
This is not a competitive team. Competitive third gen teams involve the use of NetBattle, the battle simulator. You could still read some of what FrozenVirus said if you want to get some better natures, but the ones you have are pretty good for in-game.

But yeah, for Slaking, definitely replace Slash with Return. It should be able to knock out anything that doesn't resist. Then, the questionable slot should be Aerial Ace/Focus Punch. Personally, I don't see a use in Focus Punch since Return should take out most normal-types, and Earthquake can hit Steel and Rock types just fine, but Aerial Ace can be useful against Double Teamers if you're using him in the Battle Frontier.

Last edited by Max-Attack; 03-25-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Kid_Eternity Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenVirus View Post
It's just that if it's for competitive play, posting EVs and items would be preferred, and there would many other important things to take into consideration.

Anyways, I'm going to rate your team as if it were for competitive play.

CHARIZARD
Charizard does much better as a pure Special Sweeper. 109 Special Attack beats 84 Attack pretty badly. You shouldn't go for the Mixed Sweeper either, as Charizard doesn't have much to invest in terms of defenses. However, if you must use it as a physical sweeper (it seems like you're leaning more on the physical side), I suggest you get an Adamant natured one instead. As Charizard is not too stable on the defensive end of the spectrum, and the special-based Thunderbolt is common on all competitive teams, Charizard cannot sacrifice any Special Attack stats. The Bellyzard set is the most common physical Charizard set used today, but it requires a lot of set-up, so not a lot of people take it into consideration. So if you're planning on using purely physical Charizard, I suggest you replace Flamethrower with Fire Punch. As Charizard is fragile but fast, you might want to replace Aerial Ace with a move like Substitute in order to set up the Swords Dances. Suggested EVs are 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and 4 Defense / HP, and the Salac Berry would be a good item to use as it increases Speed when you're at low health.

GOREBYSS
To be telling the truth, I'm not too familiar with Gorebyss, as I haven't really seen many people using it. It's much too slow to be of much use in competitive battling, but if you must, I suggest the Modest nature instead of Bold. The set looks pretty good, except you should replace Psychic with Hidden Power Ground if you can get access to it. As Gorebyss is extremely fragile, you should invest at least 50 EVs into HP, 252 SAtk, and the rest on Speed. Leftovers would probably benefit it the most as it has low HP.

METAGROSS
Metagross definitely does need Swords Dance. It's too slow to be doing any sort of effective set-up, so running Agility on it is a suggested option. You can also run a Chioce Band set with MM / EQ / Rock Slide / Sludge Bomb. You might also want to consider Explosion, as it counters bulky water types like Milotic, Suicune, and Swampert.

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spd

ABSOL
Naughty nature is a big no-no. Absol is even more fragile than Charizard, so losing that extra bit of Special Defense could be fatal for it. Adamant would be preferred (it's really the only way you can go). The set looks pretty good, except for the Return. Return should only be used if it actually recieves STAB damage (so only on normal types). I would suggest Taunt (so enemies cannot use Roar / Whirlwind to screw up your setup) or Substitute (offers some extra protection for the set-up).

As a BP, Absol needs A LOT of HP
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spd
The Attack doesn't matter, as you will be getting SD boosts, and it doesn't serve as your primary sweeper. Leftovers would do fine on a BPing Absol.

JOLTEON
Why not Timid or Modest nature? Oh gee, now I see that you wasted the Sub tutor. Um, anyways, Jolteon looks okay in that case. You want max Special Attack and Speed EVs. Leftovers would work wonders.

SLAKING
This guy is pretty beast. Adamant nature is preferred again as Slaking's SDef is a mediocre 65. Really, the best way would be to go for an all-out physical choice banded Slaking. It can only attack once every two turns, so you have to make its attacks HURT. I guess Shadow Ball is a necessity, because otherwise Ghost types screw you over. Anyways, Return instead of Aerial Ace, and Focus Punch instead of Slash. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd.

I'm not really gonna go into detail with the last two.
Swellow => No SD (you don't need it THAT much) replace with Return. Not going to say anything about the natures.

Hariyama => Again, not going to say anything about the nature. Cross Chop > Brick Break as it does a hell of a lot more damage. But I guess accuracy is always good as well...you also need a Rock Slide in there to hit flying types.
Nice critique, but I must tell you, I'm very sorry to not comply entirely with your suggestions, but I have wasted all resources in setting up this team, and it really is frustrating to breed the perfect pokemon with the right natures, also, I try to see their natures fit for their moves, example: If Slaking were to have an Adamant nature, then its SpAtk. will get affected and Shadow Ball will be no good to useless so please try to understand me, as my pride as a trainer, I tend to use my own style and I know it isn't good enough but please try to understand.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

I understand that you have your own opinions about certain things, and I am merely making suggestions, so I doesn't really matter if you don't take them into consideration. I'm fine with that. Just glad to help people in need.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Eternity View Post
If Slaking were to have an Adamant nature, then its SpAtk. will get affected and Shadow Ball will be no good to useless
I think I tried explaining this to you five times, but Shadow Ball and all ghost-type moves are physical in this generation, and all dark-type attacks, including Bite and Crunch, are special.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I remember getting really pissed off when I bred a perfect Attack IV Salamence and realising that DClaw was Special.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Kid_Eternity Offline
Amateur Trainer

Haha, that's really funny, I used to have a Salamence, but it was pretty crappy cuz it had a nature for defense, I forgot what the exact nature it was though.