Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Stardy Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy
Default Re: The Metal Legion v2.0

5 Favorite bands: Carpathian, The Haunted, Dying Fetus, Slipknot (I'll get heat for that, guarenteed. :P) and The Sorrow.
2 Favorite genres: Death and Melodic Death
Reason For Joining: It was there and I was bored.

EDIT:
Changed one of the bands.

Stardy = awesome

Last edited by Stardy; 03-20-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardy View Post
Slipknot (I'll get heat for that, guarenteed. :P)
And Zach never goes back on his guarantees. :3

Anyway yeah, I heard Fimbultyr and Finsterforst. They are heart. <3

Never heard the other two though. I'll check 'em out.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardy View Post
5 Favorite bands: Carpathian, The Haunted, Dying Fetus, Slipknot (I'll get heat for that, guarenteed. :P) and The Sorrow.
2 Favorite genres: Death and Melodic Death

EDIT:
Changed one of the bands.
Yeah, I'm going to have to say no. As stated in the rules, there is no nu-Metal allowed. If you cannot follow the simple task of reading rules, I don't think you should be allowed in.

Sorry.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Stardy Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
Yeah, I'm going to have to say no. As stated in the rules, there is no nu-Metal allowed. If you cannot follow the simple task of reading rules, I don't think you should be allowed in.

Sorry.
Who's Nu-Metal, Slipknot?
Because most sites I go on used to class them as Nu-Metal up untill their newest album All Hope is Gone, where they are now classed as Heavy Metal. Meh, whatever, it's your Metal Legion, and if you want them banned or whatever, fine. I can change them if you want. =|

Oh, and I JUST NOW have relized The Sorrow is a Metalcore band. I always thought they where Heavy as well. Damn. I can change them if you want, like I said, I like more stuff. x:

Editted Sign-Up Sheet (Bolded the changes):
Quote:
5 Favorite bands: Carpathian, The Haunted, Dying Fetus, Metallica and Alestorm
2 Favorite genres: Thrash and Melodic Death
That being IF i'm allowed to. >_>

Stardy = awesome
Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Album: The Dreadful Hours
Band: My Dying Bride
Year: 2001
Genre: Death/Doom Metal

Tracklist:
1. The Dreadful Hours
2. The Raven And The Rose
3. Le Figlie Sella Tempesta
4. Black Heart Romance
5. A Cruel Taste Of Winter
6. My Hope, The Destroyer
7. The Deepest Of All Hearts
8. The Return To The Beautiful

My Dying Bride is a band that revels in their darkness. Doom Metal is what they do, and My Dying Bride is masterful with the genre. "The Dreadful Hours" weaves a complex and emotional web that is as touching as it is dark, and the sheer conviction and confidence shown here really draws you in.

"The Dreadful Hours" begins with the title track, a soft, sorrow-filled dual-guitar passage over rain and thunder. When the distortion kicks in and the drums enter, you just know you're in for a treat.

"The Dreadful Hours" is filled with moments of gloom, sorrow, and hopelessness; A Cruel Taste Of Winter is slow and heart-wrenching, and aches with scarred beauty; it's really quite passionate and even the heavier middle-section is more depressing than evil.

My Hope, The Destroyer pours gorgeous sweeping strings over more upbeat, marching drumming and some emotional twin-guitar riffs. It pauses for a moment of strings-only before breaking into a slow-paced section with some beautiful guitarwork, though the vocal line is admittedly a bit awkward sounding when vocalist Aaron chokes out "People...". It just doesn't sound as sad as he feels, but this is only a minor subtlety. The song surprisingly (and effortlessly) switches gears for a few tough riffs and goes right into a very victory-ish section (like you conquered a battle) which is a nice touch before slipping back into the excellent beginning section to end.

My Dying Bride are also very familiar with the darker side, and in The Deepest Of All Hearts they lure you in with a creepy, atmospheric intro before stomping into some evil ground. The song goes into some very heart-felt lyrics that really feel like a story, and you just feel Aaron's heart pouring out. It's just beautiful.

The Raven And The Rose features some catchy black riffing and fun drumwork. Certainly one of the heavier songs here, it's full of contempt and anger and like everything else here, the emotion is right out front for you to embrace. My Dying Bride can certainly carry out some terrific heavy sections very fluidly, and it really shows here.

La Figlie Sella Tempesta is a slow and creepy number with some dark atmospherics and a dirty, almost disgust-like tone. Like most of the album, it'll take it's time to work into you but is certainly rewarding and worth the time invested to understand it's mood intricacies.

Black Heart Romance is just as the title suggests. It begins with an almost Folk-ish riff and some delicate, cool reverbed guitar over some well-placed double bass rolls. The song emits a very dark, sensual feeling, and at times almost grooves.

The album ends with the monstrous, monolithic 14:24 epic The Return To The Beautiful. It is a perfect culmination of everything "The Dreadful Hours" achieves, and with some fantastic riffage, dark lyrics, and tasteful drumming. Aaron's growls are unique; they are undeniably dirty and aggressive, vile and vomitous, yet most of his lyrics are understandable. He never exactly shows his clean range, but his Death Metal vocals are diverse, and often will overlap growls and screams for some devastating effects.

My Dying Bride have created a phenomenal work of art; beautiful, seductive, and dark all at once. "The Dreadful Hours" is a display of inspired guitarwork, technically and artistically proficient drumming, pained vocals and dark lyrics. There really isn't a bad song here; almost every moment is terrific. Aaron is a great vocalist - decent at clean but excellent at aggressive - but he never takes risks, and that is really the only flaw My Dying Bride have. Mostly, the music doesn't call for loud, high-pitch opera lines, but a few more vocal risks could of further developed the already fantastic collection of songs here.

If you like Doom Metal, this one is a no-brainer; if you like Metal in general, this is well worth your time. Either way, "The Dreadful Hours" is an album with real, dramatic passion and depth and is to be experienced from the first note to the last. An absolute must-have.

Quality: 9.5
The production here is superb. Crisp and clean, every note can be heard, and no single element is overpowering

Musicianship: 8.5
Everything is tight with enough room to breathe. The drumming is technically impressive, the riffs and harmonies are often challenging (but don't take too many risks, for better or worse), and Aaron's vile aggressive vocals are varied and well-done. Too bad his clean voice never soars.

Writing: 9.5
There is great depth in these songs. Nothing feels forced, and the many sections within the well-written numbers never overstay their welcome. Emotion just pours through here, so much so that it's inspiring, though a solo or two might of been nice. Beautiful, memorable, sentimental, and catchy to boot.

Ingenuity: 8
My Dying Bride aren't new and neither is the genre, but the whole album feels fresh and energetic, even in it's calm moments. The use of strings here should be studied by many other Metal bands; they're subtle and enhancing, never stealing the show but always making it better.

Overall: 9.4 (94%)

Highlights: The Dreadful Hours, Black Heart Romance, The Return To The Beautiful (no sample available)

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 06-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Album: Watershed
Band: Opeth
Year: 2008
Genre: Progressive Metal (with Death and Folk influence)

Tracklist:
1. Coil
2. Heir Apparent
3. The Lotus Eater
4. Burden
5. Porcelain Heart
6. Hessian Peel
7. Hex Omega

Let me begin by saying that for any band to release 9 albums, each with it's own unique tone and atmosphere, while retaining all the qualities that make them stand out, is an absolutely phenomenal achievement that deserves a salute from anyone who considers music to be of any importance.

Now combine that with the fact that this band is rooted in Death Metal and tends to effortlessly create epic 10 minute musical journeys, completely disregarding radio suitability, and you have true art.

Ever since their 1995 debut Orchid, Opeth have been challenging what music is, and that could very well be the theme of their 9th opus Watershed, because it challenges you in ways you wouldn't expect.

Opener "Coil" is soft and mystical and eases you in. Mikael's voice complements the wonderful acoustic passages, and for the first time ever, a female singer (new drummer Martin Axenrot's girlfriend) is featured, and she caresses her sections as if she were a female Mikael Akerfeldt (in case you actually don't know, he is the founder and main songwriter/vocalist/guitarist).

But "Coil" is no preparation for "Heir Apparent", a monstrous Death Metal number full of furious riffs and Mikael's signature terrifying growls and screams. New guitarist Fredrik Akesson (previously of Arch Enemy) shreds an incredible solo that creeps forward ominously before entering a frenzy and finishing in a way that will make your fists soar.

Arguably the most interesting number, "The Lotus Eater" opens with Mike humming gently before twisting between singing melodically over furious blastbeats and growling over some deliciously dark riffage that will guaranteed fuel insane moshpits when played live. The song changes directions many times, including a beautiful solo from Mike, eerie slow sections, and an evil carnival-esque march. The song remains interesting everytime, and just like all of Opeths music, little flourishes tucked away become noticeable the deeper in you dig.

Next is "Burden", which might be their most beautiful song so far, which certainly is saying something. It starts with a sad piano and sweeping strings, and Mikael sings with a sadness and determination unlike anything before. The vocal arrangement is perfect and the lyrics are sentimental without ever getting cheesy. Keyboardist Per Wilberg surprises by permorming a psychadelic Rock 'N' Roll solo that is absolutely awesome. The song plays with your emotions and Mikael and Fredrik trade off perfect Blues soloing with remarkable fluidity. The song ends with Mike fingerpicking a pleasant Folk melody while someone manually detunes his guitar at the same time - who has ever done that before?

"Porcelain Heart" is a dark lullaby that was written during the Ghost Reveries sessions, thus the similarities in tuning and writing style. It's dark and very moody; the least challenging of the 7 movements of Watershed, yet it contains one of the most interesting parts of the album - a drum solo that appears to turn the song to a mess, but repeated listens reveal that it's in the same time signature as the riffs and it locks in perfectly. Another genius move.

"Hessian Peel" definitely begins Folk like "Burden". It burns with melody and unbelievable hooks that you could not predict. The song is an 11 minute journey, and halfway through it sinks into darkness and explodes in possibly the best piece of Metal this year. Another perfect solo by Fredrik, riffs any other band would kill for, silky-smooth bass, tasteful but vicious drumming and commanding vocals; "Hessian Peel" is simply monumental.

Closer "Hex Omega" is just mindblowing. Even after repeat listens it can't be accurately described. Let it take you over and revel in it's majesty. It ends the album leaving you wanting more and itching to start all over again, yet completely satisfied at the same time. Remarkable.

Opeth keep topping themselves without ever nullifying their previous work. Watershed brings together more melody, more brutality, and more intimacy than ever before into the most defining album of Opeths career. This seductive adventure is not only a superb Metal effort, but a gorgeous musical journey, and must be played front to back to fully experience. This is an album that paints a picture that is immediately visible, but only understandable after repeat listens, with more attention to detail than many bands' whole careers. Simply, there are few other bands that reward you quite like Opeth does. With as much praise as I give Opeth, know that I absolutely do not give praise lightly. Opeth has earned their credentials and respect, and Watershed is more proof to the already stone-written fact that Opeth do not fail. If you like music, you will buy this masterwork of art.

Quality: 10
The mix is incredible. Every little detail is noticeable and new sounds are discovered with each repeat play. Each instrument and every layer they create can be heard, and they all work in unison to achieve greatness.

Musicianship: 10
Mikael and Fredrik perform with intimidating perfection. Martin Mendez is easily one of the most talented and tasteful bassists around. Per Wilberg adds more to Watershed than most other keyboardists do to the band in general. Martin Axenrot is just as good as Lopez was and never sounds likes he's imitating him.

Writing: 10
Mikael's lyrics are poetry, and every word, caressed or hissed, is essential. The songs are detailed and nothing is sacraficed to achieve the vision. Other bands should be studying the guitarwork here.

Ingenuity: 10
Opeth have no boundaries. Watershed sounds neither like any other Opeth album nor like any other album in general, and other bands would kill for their chemistry and brilliance.

Overall: 10 (100%)

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 03-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Album: Helping The World To See
Band: Vehemence
Year: 2004
Genre: Melodic Death Metal

Tracklist:
1. By Your Bedside
2. Kill For God
3. Trinity Broadcasting (Know Your Enemy)
4. To The Taste
5. You Don't Have To Be Afraid Anymore
6. Alone In Your Presence
7. Spirit Of The Soldier
8. Darkness Is Comfort
9. What Could Go Wrong?
10. We Are All Dying
11. Her Beautiful Eyes

"Helping The World To See" by Vehemence, the group's sophomore album, is a satisfying slab of Melodic Death Metal, firmly rooted in Death but never afraid to show a bit of heart. The album is full of gutteral growls, furious snare and double bass attacks, and some vicious riffage, just as you'd expect from a Death Metal band. There's nothing new here, but rather interesting is the chemistry; Vehemence is very convincing.

By Your Bedside opens the album with a bouncy riff and eases you in. The riffs are catchy and will stick with you and have you asking "why hasn't this been done yet?". That is an accurate description of most of what follows, for better or worse (but usually better).

For the most part, the songs twist and turn between dark ferocity and some truly beautiful melodies. The Melodic parts come naturally and the Death parts hit as hard as any other band in the genre. Blastbeats are satisfying and not overused, the excellent guitarwork is sharp, precise, and locked in well. Nathan Gearhart wanders through the standard Death Metal belch and some harsh barks. He isn't the most original vocalist to come along within the genre, but he gets the job done and writes some fun vocal lines to boot.

Vehemence puts a ton of effort into each song, and it really shows; some of the writing here borders on genius. What Could Go Wrong? has a riff that's all but guaranteed to go down as one of the catchiest in Death Metal; Spirit Of The Soldier is as epic as it sounds, layering some great harmonies over fast-paced percussion assaults. We Are All Dying might be the best one here; incredibly, within it's complex riffing and dynamic arrangement, it's full of great hooks and stands as the song that best defines Vehemence.

Some of the songs sound similar in parts, and the lyrics and vocals, while fitting, are nothing to write home about. The music, however, is the excelling factor here, and there really isn't a bad song to be found. "Helping The World To See" is an album I'd easily recommend to anyone who swings on the harder, darker side of Metal and wants a fun, groovy, catchy Melodic Death Metal album with depth you wouldn't expect. It's not original, but it's solid, and for the excellent writing and catchy riffing, this one is money well spent.

Quality: 6.5
The tone is dark and murky and definitely fits the music. Some of the leads are a bit too low in the mix though. Hearing the bass is nigh-impossible.

Musicianship: 8
Vehemence play hard and show off some strong skills. Impressively, everything is precisely executed and locks in tightly without losing the raw feel of Death Metal. The guitarists net every note with a pinpoint precision and the drummer never misses a beat. Too bad the limitless riffing comes with a limited vocalist.

Writing: 8.5
Catchy is a term not necessarily associated with Death Metal, but these riffs will get stuck in your head. Blastbeats are tasteful and plentiful but not overdone. Some arrangements are simply terrific, but the lyrics aren't anything you'll wanna quote, and the vocal lines are standard Death Metal fare (albeit with more hooks).

Ingenuity: 5.5
Their sound nor their style is anything new. Nathan Gearhart is mostly a throwaway vocalist and does nothing to stand out. Thankfully, the riffing is much more memorable than many of their contemporaries.

Overall: 8.2 (82%)
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

You're reviews have been added.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

You don't have a Folk Metal archive?

Dude! o__o

Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

I'm really loving the band Divinity. Their song Plasma is incredible, the video can be found here - the song is so dark, but the solo is one of the most beautiful I've heard in a long, long time.

Zach, if you could add them under Melodic Death Metal, that would be nice.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Orthar Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Mitch View Post
I'm really loving the band Divinity. Their song Plasma is incredible, the video can be found here - the song is so dark, but the solo is one of the most beautiful I've heard in a long, long time.

Zach, if you could add them under Melodic Death Metal, that would be nice.
Not a problem, they have been added.

So, to spark some sort of discussion is anyone seeing some shows in the near future?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

So, to spark some sort of discussion is anyone seeing some shows in the near future?
Cattle Decapitation is coming to my city April 12th, so I'll be all over that. Hopefully the "core" kids will go so they can see what a real Death Metal band is all about.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Tombi Offline

I wanted desperately to go to HammerFest or Bloodstock Open Air (B-O-A), but alas, I'm not allowed.

Maybe Sonisphere, if I can get over the agony of Linkin Park headlining along with Metallica. *shudder*

Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Orthar Offline

Let's see, these are some possible shows which I may be attending:

-Cannibal Corpse w/ The Faceless
-Kreator/Exodus/Warbringer
-Maryland Death Fest

Obviously I can't attend all, but I am definitely going to see the Warbringer show.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:

Nah, unfortunately, I can't. =( I want to go to the Maryland Death Fest though. Asphyx, Pestilence, Mayhem, Pig Destroyer, Atheist, Napalm Death, and Devourment are gonna be there!