Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Raquaza_rox Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default A rudimentary deck idea; help please?

[RANT]Okay, before I start, I just want to say that I'm still really new to the competitive TCG. So, if my ideas suck, please don't bash me. CONSTRUCTIVE, NICE critisizm please. No 'ZOMG dat sux, whyd u do that pkmn? u shoulda don dis 1!'

Stuff like 'hey, I think this may be better than that' would be a lot nicer :] Again, this is my first ever attempt.[/ENDRANT]

Okay, I was wanting to construct a deck around Stormfront Salamence, and I really want to squeeze in LA Luxray somewhere(because it rapes all Lv. X pokemon). I don't really know much else, especially stadiums, trainers, and supporters. Sorry; I know that isn't much

I'll update when I start making an actual deck and add cards :]

Thanks to all who take time to post! :D

Pearl:
Name-Devin FC-2793 6056 6870

Platinum:
Coming later TODAYYY~ 8D

My trading thread! :D
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ad.php?t=76164

Last edited by Raquaza_rox; 03-19-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
theEND Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to theEND Send a message via MSN to theEND
Default Re: A rudimentary deck idea; help please?

Welcome to PE2K Pokemon Trading Card Game forums. I'll be your guide, theEND, in traversing the never-ending conveyor belts of manufactured paper trading cards with one of 493 unique "Pocket Monsters" on them.

Salamence from Stormfront is a very powerful card that is reliable when you have the advantage over your opponent. A quick analysis of the card tells you that it's a sturdy Normal-type at 140 HP with a Poke-Body and two attacks. Its retreat cost is not impressive, it has an uncommon Resistance, and fortunately its weakness is rare within the metagame's boundaries.

Its first attack, Combustion (Two energies, Fire + Colorless) does 50 damage without any effects. Its second attack, Steam Twister (Four energies, Fire + Water + 2 Colorless) can deal a whopping 120 damage and has synergy with its Poke-Body, Battle Rush. Battle Rush gives Salamence's player the advantage when its opponent's deck is filled with creep crawlies that have 120 HP or more, as Steam Twister's colorless energy cost will be purged. All that's left is a consistent supply of Fire and Water energies to feed Steam Twister's side effects, and Salamence will be dealing 120 damage every turn as long as a 120 HP or above Pokemon is on your opponent's side of the field. Salamence can easily sweep all of your opponent's Pokemon with 120 HP or less, giving you a remarkable advantage over your opponent.

However, Salamence comes with a cost. You will only find Salamence efficient as long as Battle Rush is activated, meaning your opponent has to have at least one 120 HP or above Pokemon on the field of play. The metagame does not avidly support Battle Rush's needs so that Salamence is a regular in competitive play, with the exception of Kingdra (A Pokemon from Legends Awakened that sports a whopping 130 HP, two low-energy cost moves, and above average retreat costs/weaknesses/resistances). Salamence is still perfectly usable, but you must into consideration of getting Salamence out, powering it with energies, and activating Battle Rush.

Salamence can easily be called out with the help of Rare Candy, which allows Bagon to happily evolve into Salamence without needing to go through that boring Shelgon phase. Switch and Warp Point help Salamence by sufficing for its retreating/switching in needs.
-----

Luxray is indeed a Lv.X raping Pokemon, however, takes some time of set up. Unlike Salamence, Luxray's retreat cost is viable in that it may freely retreat at the cost of 20 less HP. Luxray from Legends Awakened is a Lv.X oriented disposer that sports 120 HP, twp synergized (more or less) attacks, a reliable retreat cost, and so-so weaknesses/resistances. Its Poke-Body, Rivalry, allows Luxray's attacks to inflict 50 more damage when the enemy has a Lv.X Pokemon in play, regardless of being on the Bench or as their Active Pokemon. With this, Luxray can easily dispose of Pokemon if its opponent has a Lv.X in play, but without one in play, it's only a so-so Pokemon compared to the other reliable metagame maulers.

Plasma (Two colorless energies) does 40 damage, 90 if Rivalry is active, and allows the player to attach an Electric Energy in the discard pile to Luxray. Shock Bolt (Two Electric energies + one colorless) inflicts an impressive 100 damage, 150 with the aid of Rivalry, but requires Luxray to discard all of its Electric energy. The synergy between the two attacks forces the player to attach an energy (Most preferably Electric) to Luxray the turn after so Luxray can use Plasma, which gains it a discard Electric energy. The turn after Plasma, Shock Bolt is available again.

Rivalry is Luxray's main attraction, and with the popularity of Lv.X Pokemon (Mewtwo, AMU, Dusknoir, Giratina, Dialga G, etc), it finds its niche in competitive matches. The main thing deterring Luxray from entering the competitive bay is that it's a Stage 2 Pokemon- meaning if Rare Candies are not available, one must suffice with going through the trouble of evolving Shinx into Luxio, then Luxio into Luxray. The metagame is known for its speedy nature and rough-tough composure, the latter of which Luxray is not very sure of and being fast in recovering from Shock Bolt is a dream that may never become a reality. More than Salamence, it is perfectly usable, but not without its faults.
-----

Both of these Pokemon are powerful and usable over others, but together, they may not prosper. Pokemon TCG decks, especially in the competitive arena, center around one-two Pokemon at most, with at least two types in the deck's spread. The main Pokemon of the deck is supported by Pokemon that act as mediums for the Pokemon's capabilities, such as Kingdra depending on Claydol's draw power. Salamence and Luxray have no particular synergy with each other and are better off looking at other cards for help.
-----

Common supporters in decks are Bebe's Search for its unbound Pokemon searchability and Roseanne's Research, which allows the player to search for, in combination, any 2 Basic Pokemon and basic energy in their deck (BP/BP - BP/BE - BE/BE).

Hope this was helpful. :D
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Raquaza_rox Offline
Experienced Trainer

Wowza, that's a lot! Thanks; I'll probably go and look for some different pokemon to create a deck around, now that I see that there are lotsa better cards. (and I didn't exactly research everything before posting, lol) Do you know any sites that have some well-working, commonly used deck lists? So I could maybe look at them and see if I can't find a few things to possibly put in a deck of my own.

Also, I'm going to start going to one of the leagues in Dallas in a couple of weeks; look around and see what it's like :3

Pearl:

Platinum:
Coming later TODAYYY~ 8D

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 AM
theEND Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to theEND Send a message via MSN to theEND

PokeBeach is a undoubtedly the most popular Pokemon TCG fansite. In fact, the majority of the metagame, if not all of it, is derived from PokeBeach Forums. In short, PokeBeach was designed by Pokemon TCG players for Pokemon TCG players. Popular decks, strategies, and the metagame are all found in their forums, much more so popular than PE2K's inactive TCG Forum.

For detailed card scans and informationBulbapedia's TCG Wiki is a useful encyclopedia and source, more so than the Pokemon TCG's official site, Go-Pokemon.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Raquaza_rox Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEND View Post
PokeBeach is a undoubtedly the most popular Pokemon TCG fansite. In fact, the majority of the metagame, if not all of it, is derived from PokeBeach Forums. In short, PokeBeach was designed by Pokemon TCG players for Pokemon TCG players. Popular decks, strategies, and the metagame are all found in their forums, much more so popular than PE2K's inactive TCG Forum.

For detailed card scans and informationBulbapedia's TCG Wiki is a useful encyclopedia and source, more so than the Pokemon TCG's official site, Go-Pokemon.
Thanks; I'll look into those!

Pearl:

Platinum:
Coming later TODAYYY~ 8D