Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 AM
theajshow Offline

Default Dragon-Like Pokémon

I wanted to start a discussion about Dragon-Like pokémon, not just Dragon type, but ones that are are "dragon-like", such as Gyarados or Aerodactyl. Lance, from Gen. I and II was the Dragon Trainer, and not all his pokémon were Dragon type.

So, what about Dragon-Like pokémon? What are your favorites? And what pokémon can fall into the Dragon-Like category? I've got some of my ideas, but I wanted to hear yours first.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Leki Fenrir Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Leki Fenrir
Default Re: Dragon-Like Pokémon

Haha, when I was little I didn't know about the Types and stuff, and I thought Charizard was a Dragon-type (despite the flaming tail).
Aerodactyl doesn't look too dragon-esque to me....Though I guess you can pull it off as a Wyvern. Gyarados does look like an Eastern Dragon, never did catch onto that until now.

[ - ] Lanturn@3412 glubglub~Zap ~ Lynx

"Oops..." | x1247 2395 4877 | "...My finger slipped..."
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

well i wished of the dragon like pokemon that charizard was a fire/dragon type, because that weakness to earth it gain is nothing compared to his problems with stealth rock taking half his health rock. Gyara would be uber if he was dragon/water type wich is not nessarly a bad thing but currently he's great in ou and i'd rather see and use him there.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Articuno Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Articuno Send a message via MSN to Articuno Send a message via Yahoo to Articuno Send a message via Skype™ to Articuno

Aerodactyl!? Are you mad?! It's a dinosaur! Even the name suggests that! XD

Don't anyone dare say Lugia either! What's Dragonish about it except the tail? (which could also be a dinosaur trait!)

I say Charizard and Gyarados are the only ones, Gyarados appears to be a Chinese dragon while Charizard is typical Western dragon style.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Leki Fenrir Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Leki Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articuno View Post

Don't anyone dare say Lugia either! What's Dragonish about it except the tail? (which could also be a dinosaur trait!)

I say Charizard and Gyarados are the only ones, Gyarados appears to be a Chinese dragon while Charizard is typical Western dragon style.

Like I said, it could pass for a Wyvern. Click

Actually, it could be a Sea Dragonish. *shrug*

[ - ] Lanturn@3412 glubglub~Zap ~ Lynx

"Oops..." | x1247 2395 4877 | "...My finger slipped..."
Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
theajshow Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki Fenrir View Post

Haha, when I was little I didn't know about the Types and stuff, and I thought Charizard was a Dragon-type (despite the flaming tail).
Aerodactyl doesn't look too dragon-esque to me....Though I guess you can pull it off as a Wyvern. Gyarados does look like an Eastern Dragon, never did catch onto that until now.

Well, Lance uses Aerodactyl, and he's all about the Dragons, right? But that Wyvern does have an uncanny resemblence to Aerodactly. Maybe we wouldn't think he looks very dragon-esque, but if someone else, not associated with pokémon, might easily think he's a dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articuno View Post

Well, dinosaurs do kinda look like dragons, so there's that.

I was surprised Lugia wasn't a Dragon-type, I mean, Latios and Latias are, so why not Lugia? In fact, I'd go as far as to so Lugia is more dragon-like than those two.

Of course, there's other Dragon-types that aren't all that Dragon-like, take for example Altaria. I mean, c'mon! It's like a cloud-thingie. What's so dragon-esque about that? Vibrava is more like a dragonfly, so I guess that's pseudo-dragon-ish.

But think about which pokémon would be confused for dragons by other people. I think Lugia, Gyardos, Charizard (heck, even Charmeleon), and Aerodactyl would easily be thought of as dragons by people that weren't into pokémon. Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I could see Onix and Steelix being seen as dragons (at least in the Eastern Dragon style) by others. I actually thought about that the other day when I was using some Dragon-type moves with my Onix. Think about it, if you saw this huge long rock thing shooting out "Dragonbreath", what would you think?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by theajshow View Post
Well, Lance uses Aerodactyl, and he's all about the Dragons, right? But that Wyvern does have an uncanny resemblence to Aerodactly. Maybe we wouldn't think he looks very dragon-esque, but if someone else, not associated with pokémon, might easily think he's a dragon.

Well, dinosaurs do kinda look like dragons, so there's that.

I was surprised Lugia wasn't a Dragon-type, I mean, Latios and Latias are, so why not Lugia? In fact, I'd go as far as to so Lugia is more dragon-like than those two.

Of course, there's other Dragon-types that aren't all that Dragon-like, take for example Altaria. I mean, c'mon! It's like a cloud-thingie. What's so dragon-esque about that? Vibrava is more like a dragonfly, so I guess that's pseudo-dragon-ish.

But think about which pokémon would be confused for dragons by other people. I think Lugia, Gyardos, Charizard (heck, even Charmeleon), and Aerodactyl would easily be thought of as dragons by people that weren't into pokémon. Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I could see Onix and Steelix being seen as dragons (at least in the Eastern Dragon style) by others. I actually thought about that the other day when I was using some Dragon-type moves with my Onix. Think about it, if you saw this huge long rock thing shooting out "Dragonbreath", what would you think?
Lugia a dragon? I must disagree as soon as I saw lugia for the first time, i thought "giant fishy bird" I was actually astonished to seeee that lugia was not a water psychic or water flying.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Gyarados and Charizard are both from gen 1. My theory is that the Dragon type was added late into development, as there are no damage-dealing moves of that type in gen 1, and only 3 Pokemon of the type. The best replacement of the type they could find was flying, which explains Gyarados, if not quite Charizard.

Then Dratini, Dragonair, and Dragonite, which appear late in the Pokedex, despite being able to be found before having 5 badges, were probably added late in the development to make one superpowerful non-legendary Pokemon with few weaknesses to be used by Lance.

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
The Admiral GiMoo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

At first, I thought Dragonair and Dratini were Flying/Water.

Credit to Anastasia-R for making the banner!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
theajshow Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malomyotismon View Post
Lugia a dragon? I must disagree as soon as I saw lugia for the first time, i thought "giant fishy bird" I was actually astonished to seeee that lugia was not a water psychic or water flying.
Ok, well maybe like a fishy dragon, eh? Try not to think like a Pokémon fan for a bit, I could see other people seeing Lugia at least sort of like a dragon. Maybe a sea dragon or something. Other people don't know about pokémon types. Just trying to think out of the box for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeBeQuieter View Post
Gyarados and Charizard are both from gen 1. My theory is that the Dragon type was added late into development, as there are no damage-dealing moves of that type in gen 1, and only 3 Pokemon of the type. The best replacement of the type they could find was flying, which explains Gyarados, if not quite Charizard.

Then Dratini, Dragonair, and Dragonite, which appear late in the Pokedex, despite being able to be found before having 5 badges, were probably added late in the development to make one superpowerful non-legendary Pokemon with few weaknesses to be used by Lance.

That makes a lot of sense though. I mean, only 3 Dragon-types? And they are all in the same evolutionary change? Lance didn't even have enough for a full team of Dragons. But I do like his picks for Dragon-like pokémon.

On another note, are there any non-legendary dragon types that don't have any evolutions or don't evolve from anything else? I can't think of any.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 AM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

Charizard definitely falls into the dragon-esque category, but if it were actually part Dragon then it wouldn't really fit as a starter. I was always surprised that one of Gyarados' types was never changed to Dragon; after all, if seems a little silly that it's part Flying. At least having it be Dragon/Water would eliminate its 4x Electric weakness and help nullify Ice attacks.

I also always thought that having Flygon be a Dragon was rather silly. If it was just Ground/Flying it would make more sense (it would probably need a name change, though), although it would still retain its 4x Ice weakness. I guess Lugia *kinda* resembles a Dragon, but to be honest I think it looks more like a giant sea bird...which would make sense, lol.

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

i agreee about the gyrados thing water dragon would definitly be a better copmbo 4 it\

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron

[QUOTE=Articuno;2633125]Aerodactyl!? Are you mad?! It's a dinosaur! Even the name suggests that! XD

Don't anyone dare say Lugia either! What's Dragonish about it except the tail? (which could also be a dinosaur trait!)QUOTE]
i agree wit ya man but calm down lol. but in a sense he does have some dragon traits
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 PM
coolmewkim22 Offline

Where do I start...
Um, I have a better theory on why Charizard and Gyarados aren't dragon types.
Maybe it's because, I don't know, IT WOULD RUIN THE GAME!!!
Honestly, you want to make a Pokemon that you can get at the BEGINNING OF THE GAME and a Pokemon you can catch IN NEARLY EVER BODY OF WATER, a dragon type, A DRAGON TYPE!!!!!

Sorry, but I'm tired of people complaining about not having easy access to uber powerful Pokemon.

Also, Lugia isn't a dragon. He's a bird.
The reason he's not a water type is because he wasn't always "The Diving Pokemon".
I think originally when the Bronze Tower got hit by lightning, Lugia got set on fire and to save him self he dived in to the waters surrounding the Whirl Islands giving him a less feathery look then Ho-oh, they just decided to not put it into the games because they didn't want to give the wrong idea to kids.

I don't know, it's just a theory.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Incandescent Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Incandescent

Charzard and Gyarados are really the only ones. :/