Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
newsborn Offline
New Trainer

Post Microsoft Unveils Latest Operating System Windows 7

Software giant Microsoft on Tuesday unveiled Windows 7, saying its latest operating system won't be as annoying. (File Photo)

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 28 -- Software giant Microsoft on Tuesday unveiled Windows 7, saying its latest operating system won't be as annoying.

At the company' Professional Developers Conference here, Microsoft said the new version will not have the rampant notifications that have irked many users of Windows Vista.

People can choose to see fewer alerts and warnings from their computers in the new Windows 7, said the company, adding that people will be able to test out the next version of Windows early next year.

The design of Windows 7 will make it easier for people to switch between open windows, files and applications. It also is supposed to give PC users faster access to recently used files, making home networking more automatic, according to the company.

And overall, the version is faster and can run on less-powerful computers, said the company.

Windows 7, the successor to Windows Vista, is scheduled to premiere in early 2010.

Microsoft expects that the new product would eliminate some of the problems that hampered Vista's premiere two years ago and continue to define the operating system's reputation.

Users have complained that the Vista system requires much more memory than its predecessor Windows XP and fails to run some applications. Many corporate users even reportedly asked to have their computers downgraded to XP.

Source:http://news.chinaassistor.com/2008/1...ws__18043.html
Old 10-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar
Default Re: Microsoft Unveils Latest Operating System Windows 7

I read about this in BBC, and I'm glad that they're launching a new operating system. Though Vista is almost flawless for me, it still tends to annoy me at times, and I wished for a OS with friendliness of XP and efficiency/speed of Vista. Looks like this may be a combination of both, thank goodness for that. =]
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Yeah, I dislike how Vista swallows half your 2GB RAM, leaving you effectively with only 1GB RAM to run things efficiently. >____>

But I'd much rather have any new com, so meh.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
I read about this in BBC, and I'm glad that they're launching a new operating system. Though Vista is almost flawless for me, it still tends to annoy me at times, and I wished for a OS with friendliness of XP and efficiency/speed of Vista. Looks like this may be a combination of both, thank goodness for that. =]
Lol, May. I almost spat out my juice when I read that, mainly "efficiency/speed of Vista".

Hopefully Windows 7 isn't going to be the disaster Vista was.

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Lol, May. I almost spat out my juice when I read that, mainly "efficiency/speed of Vista".
Well, I hardly found anything wrong with it. Of course, my computer's not used for anything but homework and surfing the internet, so it's hardly annoyed me. I found it fast and efficient. At least, that's just me. =]

Last edited by Snow Fairy Sugar; 10-30-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Well, I hardly found anything wrong with it. Of course, my computer's not used for anything but homework and surfing the internet, so it's hardly annoyed me. I found it fast and efficient. At least, that's just me. =]
On the same computer, start up time sped up drastically when I switched from Vista to XP. Shut down time went from 1.5-3 minutes to 10-20 seconds. Again, on the same computer. XP is just way more efficient and way faster than Vista. This doesn't say anything about it being good to you or not when you're currently using it, just that it's proven to be less efficient and slower than XP on a machine with the same specs. It's great that it works for you, though, since it didn't work for me. :(

Vista is like the ME of this generation of Windows...crap I wasted a hundred bucks on Vista.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
On the same computer, start up time sped up drastically when I switched from Vista to XP. Shut down time went from 1.5-3 minutes to 10-20 seconds. Again, on the same computer. XP is just way more efficient and way faster than Vista. This doesn't say anything about it being good to you or not when you're currently using it, just that it's proven to be less efficient and slower than XP on a machine with the same specs. It's great that it works for you, though, since it didn't work for me. :(

Vista is like the ME of this generation of Windows...crap I wasted a hundred bucks on Vista.
Wow, that's weird...almost the opposite happened for me. I mean, I've got a Compaq Presario laptop as well- almost the same specifications the Toshiba and the Compaq - 2 GB RAM, and all that stuff, and XP seemed to take ages to load. I'm not sure whether to credit The Processor(AMD in this one, against Intel in the Compaq) and the odds should have been for the Compaq, because this laptop's like loaded with episodes I downloaded..and nope, no viruses in the Paq.

Yep, just checked...XP took four minutes for me to load, in spite of freer memory, and all that..interesting. But then, most people find Vista fail, so I can't really argue with that. :3
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

Quote:

Wow, that's weird...almost the opposite happened for me. I mean, I've got a Compaq Presario laptop as well- almost the same specifications the Toshiba and the Compaq - 2 GB RAM, and all that stuff, and XP seemed to take ages to load. I'm not sure whether to credit The Processor(AMD in this one, against Intel in the Compaq) and the odds should have been for the Compaq, because this laptop's like loaded with episodes I downloaded..and nope, no viruses in the Paq.

Yep, just checked...XP took four minutes for me to load, in spite of freer memory, and all that..interesting. But then, most people find Vista fail, so I can't really argue with that. :3
Processor speeds, unless you have one under 1 GHz, don't matter particularly in this day and age when it's either reliant on how many cores a CPU has, or how much RAM you have (dependant on the task in question).

And if you think Vista's efficient after 2+ gigs, try Linux on 64 megs (provided you don't install any of the prettier stuff). ;)

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

XP > Vista still :P

let's just hope this one really does have less bugs >_>