Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Obama Drama or McCain Pain?

I don't believe I saw another one of these, so seeing as election time draws nearer, let's discuss. A lot of you guys aren't old enough to vote, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on Presidential Election 2008.

So from what I hear, a lot of people think McCain crushed his chances of winning when he chose Palin as a running mate. Why? Not simply because she's a woman, but people look at her family. They're looking at how her daughter is 17 and pregnant, and how her son has a "drug problem". They say, "How can she run the country if she can't even run her family?" People also complain that McCain talks too much about the fact that his family has been in the military for generations. They say they don't care about that, rather what he's going to bring to the table.

People often say that Obama is very well spoken and can bring this country up, despite the fact that he is black. As a matter of fact, many people look past that, including the black community itself. However, some believe that he is very inexperienced and may be in over his head in this election. He is also sending out many commercials and ads that McCain plans to increase taxes and provide little or no health care for the working class. McCain says that these messages are false, and that he never proclaimed them. What are your views?

Keep in mind that these are not my ideas, rather what I've been hearing from a lot of people. Just a little something to get the conversation going.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua
Default Re: Obama Drama or McCain Pain?

Mc Cain did himself no favours by picking her as his vice, I may think Mc cain is the beter presidential canidate but if I include obamas and mcain potential vice presadent, Obama wins not because of all the contaversy surounding Palin but do to the fact omba and his vice complement each other beter they back up the others weakness.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Obama picked Biden specifically because people criticized his capabilities in foreign affairs. I'm not sure why McCain picked Palin, though.

I find it odd that people say that Obama is a good pick despite him being black. I wasn't aware that being black is an automatic disadvantage in terms of capacity of being a leader. I am aware that being black does invoke the notion of racism particularly amongst the working class white man and especially in the southern states. This is, of course, unfair to Obama. Fairness, however, has never been part of the electorial process anyway.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Skarmory View Post
So from what I hear, a lot of people think McCain crushed his chances of winning when he chose Palin as a running mate. Why? Not simply because she's a woman, but people look at her family. They're looking at how her daughter is 17 and pregnant, and how her son has a "drug problem". They say, "How can she run the country if she can't even run her family?" People also complain that McCain talks too much about the fact that his family has been in the military for generations. They say they don't care about that, rather what he's going to bring to the table.
I'd rather know how she could run the country if she can't figure out two plus two...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

I am not able to vote yet but personally I would not vote for either McCain or Obama. Really in my mind you are voting for either Democrat or Republican. Obama and McCain are really just a figure head for their political machine. So yeah I would vote independent even though none of them has a chance.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Even before I knew what Liberal was, I always agreed with the ideas of them naturally, so I would definitely vote for Obama if I could (only 14... NEXT ELECTION ILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!).
I don't mind McCain but some of his policies are very against my ideas, and the fact that he chose Palin makes my liking for him go into negatives. The fact that mccain could very well die (low chances, but it's possible) during his term making Palin the president, scares me to death.
>_>

==
==
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Damien Grey Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Damien Grey Send a message via MSN to Damien Grey

McCain makes chips. Vote chips.
Too bad I don't live in the USA.

I've been trying to keep up with all the American debates and stuff, but we're having our elections at the moment, so the news is swamped with our own stuff.

I agree with the accusation that McCain ruined his chances by picking Palin. She's a lot like somebody running for Prime Minister in our country. Says something then does something completely different. Kinda like an organic oxymoron. Like how she's wearing those expensive clothes.

I'd probably vote for Obama, just to see how America faces a President with Hussein for a middle name.
And look! His signature is on Wikipedia!

...as my veins turn to wires, my friends turn to liars
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
I'd rather know how she could run the country if she can't figure out two plus two...
Didn't George Bush manage it for like eight years? O_o Why can't Sarah Palin do it, then?

Anyway, about the campaign(s) undertaken by them...I wish they can make it a lot less personal. They're just launching personal attacks on each other, and then denying it, claiming that they had been misunderstood or whatever.

I may have supported the Republicans, but...after Sarah Palin was chosen, I just think the campaign has sunk.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

I think Sarah Palin was their attempt at getting some of the Hilary Clinton supporter vote. Unfortunately, they failed to realize that:

A) The Hilary Supporters are DEMOCRATS.
B) Hilary specifically told her supporters after she gave up on her campaign to support Obama, and has been clearly supporting him since.
C) Hilary's a LOT different than Palin personality-wise.

So, essentially, they pulled an epic fail, and their campaign is going down hard because of it.

As you can probably tell, Obama all the way. His lack of experience is offset by Biden, and his charisma is exactly the thing we need to regain our standing in the eyes of basically every foreign country in the world; weeeeeedon'texactlylookgoodrightnow. His race is also a factor in my support, actually. We've been going somewhat backwards in the area of race since the great civil rights movement of the 60's, and having an African American president would be the perfect death blow to that problem.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Didn't George Bush manage it for like eight years? O_o Why can't Sarah Palin do it, then?
At least Bush knew where to show up for work. :P
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
At least Bush knew where to show up for work. :P
Yeah, the Crawford Ranch.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.