Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 AM
charizard ex Offline

Send a message via AIM to charizard ex Send a message via Skype™ to charizard ex
Default Sat

hey i am going to be taking the SAT soon and i was wondering what score is passing and i heard that the higher your g.p.a. the lower you can score on the SAT so i have a 2.50 g.p.a. what can i score to pass the SAT i am starting to study for it i just want to know the info because i am a junior in high school this year and i have been offered a scholarship to a university and all i need to do is take the SAT i am on track for everything else please if you don't know what the SAT are don't post here thanks

My FC: 4297-6886-2794

My trade thread:
http://pokemonelite2000.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108706

Credit goes to Neeno

Battle Frontier Double Challenge Points: 40

Help get the pe2k Olympics approved by the mods

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 AM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

Default Re: Sat

A 600 or higher should be sufficient.

edit: That happens to be the minimum score, since you can't really pass/fail.

Last edited by pseudopseudo; 10-23-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 AM
charizard ex Offline

Send a message via AIM to charizard ex Send a message via Skype™ to charizard ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudopseudo View Post
A 600 or higher should be sufficient.
ok thank you and do you know how many questions are on the SAT

My trade thread:

Credit goes to Neeno

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

Haha. Um wow.

To start, it's not pass or fail. The only factor is that most colleges will not let you in if your score is too low. The score ranges from 0 to 2400. An average score is around 1400, and most colleges would like to see a 1600 or better. Here is all the information you need regarding the test: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...sat/about.html

Frankly, if you don't improve that grammar, you will fail miserably. Study hard.

There is no school that will give you a scholarship with a 2.5 g.p.a., unless it is athletic.

Regarding its relation to your g.p.a., mine is a 3.8, and I scored a 2250 on the SAT. It obviously didn't hurt me to do well in school.
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Haha. Um wow.

To start, it's not pass or fail. The only factor is that most colleges will not let you in if your score is too low. The score ranges from 0 to 2400. An average score is around 1400, and most colleges would like to see a 1600 or better. Here is all the information you need regarding the test: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...sat/about.html

Frankly, if you don't improve that grammar, you will fail miserably. Study hard.

There is no school that will give you a scholarship with a 2.5 g.p.a., unless it is athletic.

Regarding its relation to your g.p.a., mine is a 3.8, and I scored a 2250 on the SAT. It obviously didn't hurt me to do well in school.
I guess they changed the scoring around? Back when I took it, 1600 was a perfect score.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
I guess they changed the scoring around? Back when I took it, 1600 was a perfect score.
Yeah, they added a "writing" section.

To be honest, a lot of colleges still look at your score out of 1600, between the math and critical reading sections only. I had 1470; pretty much all of my points on the entire test were lost in critical reading...
------
Old 10-23-2008, 04:07 AM
charizard ex Offline

Quote:
Haha. Um wow.

it is for athletics and i have good grammer i just don't like to use it when i am typing because there is no need to have perfect grammer online to prove it i have an A in english

My trade thread:

Credit goes to Neeno

Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charizard ex View Post
it is for athletics and i have good grammer i just don't like to use it when i am typing because there is no need to have perfect grammer online to prove it i have an A in english
It reflects on your social life more than you'd expect, not to mention the impression that you give us and the help that we are willing to give you.
------
Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Yeah, they added a "writing" section.

To be honest, a lot of colleges still look at your score out of 1600, between the math and critical reading sections only. I had 1470; pretty much all of my points on the entire test were lost in critical reading...
Meh, I actually wish they had the writing section while I took it. I scored a 1020 (writing and math were even), but writing is a strong point of mine and I definitely would have benefited off of it.

I didn't take the SAT very seriously either though. My next hurdle is the GMAT, which looks just as moronic as the SAT.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

There's an American girl in my school, and according to what Ski can glean from her, we could have taken the SAT and aced it when we were four years younger than now without studying except maybe for the American History parts.

Yeah, it's moronic.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
There's an American girl in my school, and according to what Ski can glean from her, we could have taken the SAT and aced it when we were four years younger than now without studying except maybe for the American History parts.

Yeah, it's moronic.
There is no American History section on the SAT.

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
There is no American History section on the SAT.
I meant those questions relating to American history and stuffs. Geog would be a problem too, but nothing that can't be solved in a jiffy or with an educated guess.

Unless you're telling me there's no such thing there? :O

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 AM
CHAMPION Victoria Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to CHAMPION Victoria Send a message via MSN to CHAMPION Victoria Send a message via Yahoo to CHAMPION Victoria

The SAT is a joke, and the new SAT is even more of a joke. I took the old test and scored a 1520/1600--and while the new test does add an 800 point writing section, it's generally graded much more generously than the old SATII writing (remember, it's on a ball curve). The math was simplified and the analogies were removed from the verbal section because they were apparently too difficult.

If you want to get into a halfway decent school, though, you'd need close to a perfect SAT score (2400 these days) and stellar recommendations. A 2.5gpa is below a B average, and many high school students have weighted GPAs from honors/AP/IB courses.

Try to get a good SAT score, but to be honest, I think you'd be best served concentrating more on your GPA. Try to get it to at least a 3.0, if not higher.

EDIT: There are no questions even remotely related to history on the SAT. Some of the passages in the verbal section are adapted from various areas and fields, but they require/presume no knowledge on the part of the test taker aside from reading comprehension. The point of those passages is to see what meaning the test taker can glean from the text, and whether the test taker can identify arguments and threads of reasoning.

There are SATII subject tests that deal with US history and the like, but they're completely different.

Last edited by CHAMPION Victoria; 10-26-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

To answer your question: as close to 2400 as you can get it. There isn't such a thing called "enough" when it comes down to scores on the SAT. The higher your SAT scores and GPA marks are, the better your scholarship is, even if it is athletic. Besides that point, I know several people who got an athletic scholarship only to be sent back before their freshman year was done precisely because they couldn't make team, or got an injury, etc. It's in your best interest to get those scores up so you wouldn't be stranded when something goes wrong. Besides that point, the extra 800 points really help you out if you type well with good grammar.

Also remember that the SAT is on a bell-curve, so the higher the score, the harder it is to increase the score. A score like 600 would put you like in the 5-10th percentile (that's the bottom 5-10% of the people taking the exam), which would reflect terribly on you.

Neo:
I wished the MCAT included the essay writing section with the scores, cuz I had an astronomical score in that, only for it to basically not count towards anything (all medical schools don't look at your writing mark as long as you get some middle-of-the-road mark on that). Good luck on your GMAT though, I heard its awesomeness is awesome. If there is any comfort in knowing this, I took the MCAT, which is definitely much more moronic than the GMAT. :3

Victoria:
Recall that not all people are created equal in terms of IQ. Just because the SAT is easy to you, doesn't mean it's easy for everybody else. I know many people who struggled with the SAT, after all.