Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Vanilla Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Vanilla
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Wow, this is a trainwreck.

There's a lot of confusion going on here; cigarettes and alcohol are both drugs, and whilst I appreciate people are trying to distinguish between "hard drugs" and those legally available (with restrictions), that's problematic for a few reasons.

First of all, the legality does not change the potential harm of these substances. Note that the laws were drawn up for both alcohol and tobacco many years before "we" we were fully aware of the risks. To put it another way, the modern day demand for both is so great that a ban now (that would be legitimate following the logic that has caused the illegality of substances commonly thought of as more "dangerous" drugs) would simply not stand alone as a health issue, but would undercut a huge wedge of our culture. Hell, if you don't believe me just find yourself a history book. The US tried a ban on drinking. Look up how that turned out. Add into the mix taxes on tobacco taken by most western governments and you've got yourself quite a sticky situation!

The other reason why lumpingthese things together as "legal drugs" and "illegal drugs", or hard drugs as they're being labeled itt is that the effects of most of them are different. Different things are taken in different ways and affect different parts of the body and are therefore harmful (as well as potentially beneficial, in a small minority of cases) in different ways.

I would also like to point out that whilst cannabis has been hailed for its niche medicinal properties, smoking anything will damage your lungs. Breathing at all is harmful to your respiratory system (did you know it's safer to breath solely through your nose than through your mouth or both?), but clogging it up with the fumes and waste products of combustion willingly is harmful on a completely different scale. This is also nothing to do with the properties of the drug and the effects on the brain following consumption, it's simply how matter works.

On that note, however, the only thing I can say with any degree of certainty is that it has been known to kick off dormant schizophrenia. This is truly one of those "never happen to me situations"; you can't know what will and will not happen to your brain following exposure because a dormant condition such as this will display no symptoms at all.

So uhh.

Don't do drugs, kids.

EDIT: Oh and haha, don't get me started on mushrooms.

I'll admit, it was exceptionally interesting, but the left and right side of your brain trying to work completely independent of each other is pretty much the best analogy I can think of.

Oh and whilst they're melting, too. 8)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
ThEcHaMpIoNoFsApPhIrE Offline
Banned

these drugs, although we may make jokes about them (mushrooms, meds, etc.) are dangerous and directly or indirectly kill more people then all the nuclear bombs exploding on every major city in the world.
thats my thought.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

While I do agree that excessive drinking isn't good, and I wouldn't drink myself (merely due to taste. An incident when I was five made the very smell of alcohol disgust me), a beer or glass of wine every now and then isn't a bad thing. As long as you don't drink enough to completely intoxicate yourself and don't get behind the wheel of a car then I see nothing wrong with drinking. Besides, the last time we bothered to ban alcohol all it lead to was the birth of the speakeasy.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
LugiaAeroBlast Offline
Banned

my brother says if you want to drink it drink it, but not underage.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 AM
CHAMPION Victoria Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to CHAMPION Victoria Send a message via MSN to CHAMPION Victoria Send a message via Yahoo to CHAMPION Victoria

One cannot count herself truly cultivated unless she has an appreciation for wine. Children are excepted, of course.