Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Crime

Do you think the police, government etc. do enough about crime? Like, the laws and stuff? How do you think it could be improved? What do you think about the length of prison sentences as well?

My mum just rang me from the bingo hall she's been at tonight and told me someone broke into her car. They didn't take it, ironically, but they stole a worthless portable DVD player which made me lol. It's not worth hardly anything. She went back in to report the robbery and called the police. She was surprised at how concerned they were and what they were going to do.

So how good are your local police?
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Maleficent Offline

Send a message via AIM to Maleficent Send a message via MSN to Maleficent Send a message via Skype™ to Maleficent
Default Re: Crime

Yes, sirree.

I think a '3 strike you're in for life system' should be bought in for serious crimes such as:

Bank robbery.
Murder.
Tax evasion ( depends on how serious).
Faking death ( some guy did it on the news yesterday, so thats where I got the idea from)

Now for my police.

They are the most sh!t police ever.

Firstly.

They've never, ever, caught somone doing a robbery or that sort.
Thier hours are from 12.00am to 3.00am
They have crashed thier cars about 3 times these past two months.
The police chief s currently under suspicion of law for drug shipping.

I feel really safe.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

The police here are decent enough. The ones on traffic duty are corrupt buggers, but the rest are good. They take their jobs pretty seriously, especially those who bust into smuggling dens and terrorist hideouts.

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Arrow Re: Crime

I have a problem with trial by jury.
12 good men and true? Not really.

Basically my argument is that because the 12 jurors are all in one group they really only count as one decision-maker.

There are 2 choices, "guilty" & "not guilty".
If it were up to one person to choose they'ld have a 50% chance of just randomly guessing a correct verdict. Now let's say we have 2 jurors, and they agree on a verdict, no surprise, they had a 50% chance of doing so, and with 3 jurors they have a 25% chance of reaching a unanimous decision.
12 jurors: now we're talkin'. If twelve people are independently offered a choice between two alternatives, the odds that they will reach the same verdict by chance alone are satisfyingly low, only 1 in 2,048.
The problem is all 12 jurors make their decisions together. It's all about groupthink on a jury. There's always 1 or 2 vocal members of the jury that massively sway the room. And there is also strong pressure to reach a unanimous verdict, which further undermines the principle of independent data.

What we need is to increase the number of independent decision-makers. Today this happens when an appeal is made, and the case is retried: 2 trials, 2 juries, 2 decisions. But it's very costly to try cases, and then you still have a 50% chance of the two of them agreeing, even incorrectly.

We could open the the courts to the public, on television or on-line, and allow literally thousands of independent jurors around the country to attend to the evidence. The mass phone-in/e-mail polling would probably be fairer outcome than a jurytrial. But unfortunately, journalistic discussion would violate the principle of independent data. So, we're back at square one.

Instead we can simply split up the 12 members of the jury into smaller groups, or isolate each juror, and seperately poll them so their data is genuinely independent?.
This would improve the statistical accuracy of jurytrial verdicts, and society at large.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

The police here in Olympia are okay. They could do much more, but they pick on the homeless people downtown though. They have plenty of other things to do, but they do that. Homeless people in Olympia have not done anything wrong, if they have been in jail, then they have served their sentence, and a lot of them are just unfortunate people, yet the police pick on them. Other than that, the police here are good.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 AM
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger

Yesterday there was a report of 22 shootings since Tuesday, where I'm currently at.... we freakin' rock!!

~Isaiah

URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref
Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Libra View Post
Yes, sirree.

I think a '3 strike you're in for life system' should be bought in for serious crimes such as:

Bank robbery.
Murder.
Tax evasion ( depends on how serious).
Faking death ( some guy did it on the news yesterday, so thats where I got the idea from)
I think murder should be a "One strike and you're in for life".

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 AM
FireBrawl Latios Offline
Elite Trainer

The police here is okay only. The reinforcement is lousy. Many laws here are just crap. Many are left behind time. You want a good example? There are almost no laws for animals. Person A smuggles one pangolin and person B smuggles 200 pangolins. The light punishment is the same for both. Here is probably the only place on earth where you can throw rubbish at a sign that says, "No littering - $5000 fine" and not pay a fine.

燒死了。讓我安息吧。

請勿觸摸,因為骨灰偶爾會動。

一旦有機會,一定會重新從廢墟中再复活起來!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

I've never had anything to do with crime and I've never been robbed *touch wood*. I think the police do a HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN THEY"RE BEING PAID. Just think, they have to curb riots, bring in the vomiting drunks, pull over complete idiots. Damn. I'd hate that.

But yeah. Basically. Laws are made to be broken. That's the trend that's happening. So... I sympathise with the policemen and women. They should be paid more and idiots need to be shocked with a tazer. They don't let people carry tazers in Australia. Only batons. Pfft.

The Brood is growing!