Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Yeah, that's true, but it's annoying when a lot of christians, and do not deny that a lot of chrstians do this, believe their way is the only way, and if you don't you're either evil or retarded; that's the main cause for athiests in the first place.
A lot of people who question god wouldn't question god if christianity didn't manage to barge into so many things like politics and education. America, at least, is a free country with religious tolerance, and I don't think it should be okay for politicians to base their campaigns around their religion, and also for schools to be teaching the christian way.
I hate this view so, so much ...

First off, blame the PEOPLE, not the religion. Yes, there are PEOPLE in ALL religions who try to barge into things they don't need to, argue with people, etc. But there are atheists who are just as bad. It's the person who is the jerk, and blaming anything but the person for being a jerk is dumb. It's like ... blaming a high school for having a few jerks.

And how come you are just talking about Christians? Every religion thinks their answer is the only one, usually :-/.

And some atheists are just as bad, they fight that there is no God, which is just as bad as someone fighting that their is one and not believing anything else. I hate atheists who are all 'OMG CHRISTIANS ARE SO MEAN THEY ALWAYS TRY TO TURN ME INTO ONE AND THEY NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE! But hey, you should be an atheist for these reasons, and your religions are wrong.' Though don't get me wrong, I hate most everyone who does this :P.

Personally, I'm tolerable as long as people are nice. Atheist? Buddhist? I really don't care, as long as you're a nice and cool person.

Quote:
He did it in like stages
one day he made light, he like snapped and bang light, which doesn't make sense since he made stars and planets AFTER that, and we all know light comes from the sun, but hey. lol. Then he made humans and animals.

Somethjing like that.
Yeah, we don't know what happened. There's no way anyone can claim they know exactly how it happened.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
I hate this view so, so much ...

First off, blame the PEOPLE, not the religion. Yes, there are PEOPLE in ALL religions who try to barge into things they don't need to, argue with people, etc. But there are atheists who are just as bad. It's the person who is the jerk, and blaming anything but the person for being a jerk is dumb. It's like ... blaming a high school for having a few jerks.

And how come you are just talking about Christians? Every religion thinks their answer is the only one, usually :-/.

And some atheists are just as bad, they fight that there is no God, which is just as bad as someone fighting that their is one and not believing anything else. I hate atheists who are all 'OMG CHRISTIANS ARE SO MEAN THEY ALWAYS TRY TO TURN ME INTO ONE AND THEY NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE! But hey, you should be an atheist for these reasons, and your religions are wrong.' Though don't get me wrong, I hate most everyone who does this :P.

Personally, I'm tolerable as long as people are nice. Atheist? Buddhist? I really don't care, as long as you're a nice and cool person.

Yeah, we don't know what happened. There's no way anyone can claim they know exactly how it happened.

You are right *sigh* one of the reasons I held back saying that I was an athiest was how bad of reputation athiest can get for being just as singleminded as religous folowers can be in that they totaly ignore all oppions but there own.

But now I am an athiest officaly and I refuse to be like that, but if someone trys it on me, don't expect to get scot free with out a fair arguement!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Seercry Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malomyotismon View Post
but if someone trys it on me, don't expect to get scot free with out a fair arguement!
Heh, "scot free". Dr. Scott....random moment hilarity.

But yeah. I'll admit that some Catholics, Buddhists, Jews, etc., say that their way is the only one and try to sway you. But, as the incredible Dr. Scott said, so do many atheists. It's the person, not the beliefs.

Cred for Avatar and Banner go to Anastasia-R

Old 10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

God is time, space, and everything. He is not some old man in the sky.

^^
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

It's ironic, since one of the main arguments by Christians against scientific theories like the Big Bang is that science can't explain where the Big Bang came from, or, in more general terms, where the universe came from. Pretty funny.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Seercry Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
It's ironic, since one of the main arguments by Christians against scientific theories like the Big Bang is that science can't explain where the Big Bang came from, or, in more general terms, where the universe came from. Pretty funny.
You're close. Chrisitians argue that scientists may be wrong about the Big Bang because they can't prove it. They don't say that since scientists can't prove it, the Big Bang never happened, though many believe that it didn't.

Cred for Avatar and Banner go to Anastasia-R

Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

What my dad has always said, which I found interesting, is 'maybe God started the Big Bang?'

Really, a 'week' in the Bible (God making everything) could have been who knows what length of time in reality. 'Making it' could have meant starting things in motion.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Yeah, that's true, but it's annoying when a lot of christians, and do not deny that a lot of chrstians do this, believe their way is the only way, and if you don't you're either evil or retarded; that's the main cause for athiests in the first place.
A lot of people who question god wouldn't question god if christianity didn't manage to barge into so many things like politics and education. America, at least, is a free country with religious tolerance, and I don't think it should be okay for politicians to base their campaigns around their religion, and also for schools to be teaching the christian way.
Like Scott said, plenty of Athiests do the exact same thing, but taking people AWAY from their relgion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
I think the theory is that there was a universe before us, then the sun ASPLODED when it ran out of OJ. So yeah. They predict that it'll happen again. I also heard that you can still hear the Big Bang echoing in space, which is a little odd, as there is nothing for it to echo off?
So where did the unviverse before us originate? Finding the answer is like finding the square root of -1.

And nice sig Scott. ;)

Last edited by Ranma; 10-06-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
God is time, space, and everything. He is not some old man in the sky.

^^
Ok, but how do we know that? Do we have any physical proof besides that we're here? How do we know we even exist? Our lives could be but a dream and none of this is really happening. Or it cold be like the Matrix and we don't know it.^^

I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Ok, but how do we know that? Do we have any physical proof besides that we're here? How do we know we even exist? Our lives could be but a dream and none of this is really happening. Or it cold be like the Matrix and we don't know it.^^
There are some things that can't ever be known by anyone, and in my opinion its a great thing we don't have the answer to this.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
There are some things that can't ever be known by anyone, and in my opinion its a great thing we don't have the answer to this.
And why is that? That's very backwarding, as I've said countless times in this thread.
The point of our existence is to discover and advance. Eventually we will be able to learn these types of things. Religion is slowly drifting because a lot of it is used to answer things we do not undertstand yet - but Science is learning many of those things!

==
==
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Hoshika Offline

Quote:
And why is that? That's very backwarding, as I've said countless times in this thread.
The point of our existence is to discover and advance. Eventually we will be able to learn these types of things. Religion is slowly drifting because a lot of it is used to answer things we do not undertstand yet - but Science is learning many of those things!
How do you know, though?

Just wondering, I decided to pop in and see what this was. :\
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Like Hoshika stated, how would you know thats the point of our existence?

And just because the science we have makes sense to our knowledge doesn't make it correct. (Like ancient astronomers proposing celestial sphere and circular orbits) As we learn new things we may find many of what we thought was correct now was, in fact incorrect.

I don't think I stated that well...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Like Hoshika stated, how would you know thats the point of our existence?

And just because the science we have makes sense to our knowledge doesn't make it correct. (Like ancient astronomers proposing celestial sphere and circular orbits) As we learn new things we may find many of what we thought was correct now was, in fact incorrect.

I don't think I stated that well...
I guess it's one purpose of our existance. Why else would Humans be so curious and witty, creative and smart? I doubt if God "didnt' want us to know" that he would make us like that!

==
==
Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seercry View Post
You're close. Chrisitians argue that scientists may be wrong about the Big Bang because they can't prove it. They don't say that since scientists can't prove it, the Big Bang never happened, though many believe that it didn't.
Big Bang epically fails at explaining how water got on Earth. According to Big Bang, Earth should still be nothing but a big ball of flaming magma and radioactive lava. Apparently, these same scientists think the water came from rocks which, don't mind me saying, sounds awfully stupid. I could spend all day squeezing a meteorite like its an orange, I'm not going to get any Evian to cover 70% of the planet with it. In contrast to that, their "life genesis" theories on how the first microorganisms were created aren't so hot either. With all that's going on with Big Bang, it would have taken a miracle for something like Earth, a living planet with ideal temperatures, environments, and balance to have happened.

Look at all the millions of things on Earth that keep everything in balance and keeps everything alive. That was no accident, that needed a genius mind, a master architect, and a supreme being to create and bring to life. And that's God.