Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-04-2008, 03:05 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Question to christians

Note: This is not meant to attack or accuse Christians, but to merely discuss an interesting topic.

So we all know that Christians believe in a sole god, who created everything and ANYTHING.

So when I ask "who made god?", I either get "no one knows," which is stupid because the bible should tell everything, or "he always existed", which is a bit more sensicle, but still.
If god always existed, that means god coexisted with time. Time could not have been created by god because god always existed, meaning that he must have existed during time, meaning he could not have created it.

Since he did not create it, is there a higher power over him? Or am I just crazy?
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 AM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachNCheeze View Post
Note: This is not meant to attack or accuse Christians, but to merely discuss an interesting topic.

So we all know that Christians believe in a sole god, who created everything and ANYTHING.

So when I ask "who made god?", I either get "no one knows," which is stupid because the bible should tell everything, or "he always existed", which is a bit more sensicle, but still.
If god always existed, that means god coexisted with time. Time could not have been created by god because god always existed, meaning that he must have existed during time, meaning he could not have created it.

Since he did not create it, is there a higher power over him? Or am I just crazy?
You're just crazy.

The Bible tells us everything that we need to know. If it's not in there, then we don't need to know it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2008, 03:45 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
You're just crazy.

The Bible tells us everything that we need to know. If it's not in there, then we don't need to know it.
Isn't that kind of backwarding though?
We wouldn't have ever discovered medicine, communication, and air travel if we didn't try to figure out things not in the bible...
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Question to christians

Yet another reason that makes mankind question if there really is a god that's a great question and there is no right answer to it christians may try and make excuses like Wunschkind but they can't answer that question with a logical answer. I guess some people would say God created time and time didn't exist before god but that's just stupid.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Poring's Avatar
Poring Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,197
Send a message via AIM to Poring
Default Re: Question to christians

When in doubt, Google!

*googles "where did God come from"*

I guess this is your explanation.

Quote:
I guess some people would say God created time and time didn't exist before god but that's just stupid.
But why would that be stupid? You can't just dismiss an idea.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poring View Post
When in doubt, Google!

*googles "where did God come from"*

I guess this is your explanation.



But why would that be stupid? You can't just dismiss an idea.
I guess the question is how do you function without time? You cannot do anything without time. Even god cannot, I mean, it took him 7 days to create everything (or something like that) so obviously he obeys the laws of time too otherwise everything would have been at once.
If he was outside time, explain why it took him more than 0 time to make everything? Why is it that it took 1.3 BILLION years for eukaryotic cells to appear? Does god just sit around for 1.3 bil years for fun? Does he sit around for 7 days for fun?
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Orthar's Avatar
Orthar Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Away from Crusties.
Posts: 5,506
Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
You're just crazy.

The Bible tells us everything that we need to know. If it's not in there, then we don't need to know it.
Remove the cross from the Holy Bible, and you have a glorified History textbook. Sure, the Bible does actually contain some factual information in there which has been proven, but other things are up in the air. The Bible is known to contradict itself, thus making it difficult to confirm, bust, or name things as plausible. The bold statement is not well thought out, there a plenty of things outside of the Bible that you must know for day to day life.

Honestly, if God exists he had to have come from somewhere. Hell, we don't know where we got the matter particles for the Big Bang, but they had to have come from somewhere. It's a matter of personal opinion, but I don't think that anyone can really answer this question. Not even Google. :o
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:04 AM
Seercry's Avatar
Seercry Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere, nowhere, and everywhere
Posts: 138
Default Re: Question to christians

The answer: no one knows. It's a matter of faith. And I assume you believe in the Big Bang, hmmm? Well, here's a question for you. People say Big Bang was a bright point in the middle of nothing that had an immense explosion, forming the universe. Where did said point of light come from? I've heard the answer "two particles collided, forming the point, and the interaction caused the particles to explode." Where did said particles come from? No one seems to know that one. I am a Christian, believing in God, Jesus, the whole nine yards. Even I admit it's a roundabout question that I have no answer to. It is my belief that if I seek forgiveness for my sins and believe in God, I'll get the chance to ask about it in Heaven when I die. I don't expect you to believe in what I do, but I do want you to respect, as I respect what I suspect is your belief.

@Vincent Valentine:I agree with Poring. I defy you to explain to me why it's stupid. Why should my belief be stupid because I don't think similarly to you?

My five cents.
__________________

Cred for Avatar and Banner go to Anastasia-R

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:09 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seercry View Post
The answer: no one knows. It's a matter of faith. And I assume you believe in the Big Bang, hmmm? Well, here's a question for you. People say Big Bang was a bright point in the middle of nothing that had an immense explosion, forming the universe. Where did said point of light come from? I've heard the answer "two particles collided, forming the point, and the interaction caused the particles to explode." Where did said particles come from? No one seems to know that one. I am a Christian, believing in God, Jesus, the whole nine yards. Even I admit it's a roundabout question that I have no answer to. It is my belief that if I seek forgiveness for my sins and believe in God, I'll get the chance to ask about it in Heaven when I die. I don't expect you to believe in what I do, but I do want you to respect, as I respect what I suspect is your belief.

@Vincent Valentine:I agree with Poring. I defy you to explain to me why it's stupid. Why should my belief be stupid because I don't think similarly to you?

My five cents.
that's not the point. You accuse me for believing in something that was not even related.
If no one knows, doesn't anyone WONDER? It's backwarding and ignorant not to try to find out! LVC machine or whatever it's called is going out to see if big bang theory is really true - I don't see anyone trying to find out about gods existence because of ignorance and blind faith. There's a difference between educated faith and blind faith.
No one seems to know, but at least people are trying to find out.
I respect your belief. If that was not clear, I'll make it clear. I respect anyones belief, I was just pondering the answer to this paradox-ish thing.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer other than "no one knows" or "no one needs to know", get back to me.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Seercry's Avatar
Seercry Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere, nowhere, and everywhere
Posts: 138
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachNCheeze View Post
that's not the point. You accuse me for believing in something that was not even related.
If no one knows, doesn't anyone WONDER? It's backwarding and ignorant not to try to find out! LVC machine or whatever it's called is going out to see if big bang theory is really true - I don't see anyone trying to find out about gods existence because of ignorance and blind faith. There's a difference between educated faith and blind faith.
No one seems to know, but at least people are trying to find out.
I respect your belief. If that was not clear, I'll make it clear. I respect anyones belief, I was just pondering the answer to this paradox-ish thing.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer other than "no one knows" or "no one needs to know", get back to me.
I apologize. I only assumed, wrongly it seems, that you were a theorist of the Big Bang theory. That is why I brought it up. I think the main reason no one tries to find out is because, well, why need to? People have been trying for millenia to search for evidence supporting God's existince. Anyone found anything? Not that I know of. WE may not be able to see God, but it's like air. We know it is there, although we can't see it. The point of religion is faith, whether blind or educated.

By the way, Large Hadron Collider. LHC. ;]
__________________

Cred for Avatar and Banner go to Anastasia-R

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:15 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seercry View Post
I apologize. I only assumed, wrongly it seems, that you were a theorist of the Big Bang theory. That is why I brought it up. I think the main reason no one tries to find out is because, well, why need to? WE may not be able to see God, but it's like air. We know it is there, although we can't see it. The point of religion is faith, whether blind or educated.

By the way, Large Hadron Collider. LHC. ;]
Right right, LHC, my bad.

I see your point. I guess questioning god is really pointless because in the end I'm probably not going to influence anything related to it anyway.
I was just curious, it's an interesting thought. The fact that a being can exist out of time just blows my mind, I don't think it's even fathomable, but if it's possible for a god to do it, by all means, cool.

I personally don't care for the beginnings of time and life.
I prefer to think about more current things like how certain political candidates may screw us or not screw us over.

Thanks for the participation people, I guess this thread is over unless you guys want to keep discussing.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachNCheeze View Post
I guess the question is how do you function without time? You cannot do anything without time. Even god cannot, I mean, it took him 7 days to create everything (or something like that) so obviously he obeys the laws of time too otherwise everything would have been at once.
If he was outside time, explain why it took him more than 0 time to make everything? Why is it that it took 1.3 BILLION years for eukaryotic cells to appear? Does god just sit around for 1.3 bil years for fun? Does he sit around for 7 days for fun?
Who ever said that the 7 days God used to create Earth was by the 24 hour standard? The Bible literally says that the life of man is but just a breath.

As for the thread's main question, God is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. Its not hard to believe that God broke the stasis and created time to allow things to change, shape, and develop over duration. Think about it this way. If you have dough, it won't become bread unless you bake it in the oven, and allow it to change its nature. Think of that oven as the medium of time. So unless you allow the oven to cook the bread (allow time to pass), it will stay as dough.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Ranma's Avatar
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,196
Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachNCheeze View Post
that's not the point. You accuse me for believing in something that was not even related.
If no one knows, doesn't anyone WONDER? It's backwarding and ignorant not to try to find out! LVC machine or whatever it's called is going out to see if big bang theory is really true - I don't see anyone trying to find out about gods existence because of ignorance and blind faith. There's a difference between educated faith and blind faith.
No one seems to know, but at least people are trying to find out.
I respect your belief. If that was not clear, I'll make it clear. I respect anyones belief, I was just pondering the answer to this paradox-ish thing.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer other than "no one knows" or "no one needs to know", get back to me.
The LHC would have a 100% chance of proving the big bang correct...

And its hard to prove correct a divine being whos in an entirely different plane of existence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Who ever said that the 7 days God used to create Earth was by the 24 hour standard?
Exactly what I was going to say...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachNCheeze View Post
Isn't that kind of backwarding though?
We wouldn't have ever discovered medicine, communication, and air travel if we didn't try to figure out things not in the bible...
You didn't know what I meant, did you?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Question to christians

I'm not a Christian, but being a member of PE2K, I guess I'm entitled to post my views. Also, that's not a Christian belief alone...it's a Muslim belief, it's a Jewish belief, it's a Sikh belief, it's a Hindu belief, it's a belief that all religions believe in. Of course, in religions that don't believe in a single God, it's not quite the same, but it's all the same concept.

I've always believed in the Big Bang theory and evolution, but I still believe in a God, or several Gods. How? Because as Einstein said, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind". They must go hand in hand, and so all science is doing is explaining what God(s) had created.

Now to answer your question, I'd have to say that there is no answer. It's all about perception and faith, and every person will have a different answer...it's one of those questions.

Deathpspector
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com