Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahjmer
You seem to be missing the point Wunschkind. He's not blaming Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, he's blaming Christianity for crimes committed in the name of Christianity. There's a difference. I disagree with him greatly, the blame should be placed on the people who committed the crimes, but I see where he's coming from and I respect that.
They were committed in the name of Catholicism. There are over 9000 branches of Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94
That's the best thing I've heard in a while. Religion doesn't make crazies... Pfft, ever heard of the Taliban my dear Wunschy? They committed 9/11 because their 'God' told them to. The Witch Hunts of the Medieval times? The numerous Crusades? People have gone INSANE because of religion. True. Keyboards don't make typos, it's the fingers that slip, but religion isn't a keyboard. It's not a finger either. Religion is a powerful force and in the wrong hands can be the most dangerous weapon on the planet, because it is the people. People believe in religion because it gives them faith, it's a power they can relate to and it explains some things for them, whether or not the explanations that religion gives are true or not is up to people to believe.
Of course, since we all know that the Taliban are possessed, and the people themselves aren't to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Wunschkind started it!
No u.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Religion... Again

Stromdancer?

Religion didn't say that witches had to be hunted. Religion didn't say that the WTC should be smashed into by a plane. It's people. People made that happen, and they have the audacity to use religion as an excuse. Do me a favour? Comb through the Koran, and show me where exactly it said that Muslims must bomb America?

Deathspector
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
That's the best thing I've heard in a while. Religion doesn't make crazies... Pfft, ever heard of the Taliban my dear Wunschy? They committed 9/11 because their 'God' told them to. The Witch Hunts of the Medieval times? The numerous Crusades? People have gone INSANE because of religion. True. Keyboards don't make typos, it's the fingers that slip, but religion isn't a keyboard. It's not a finger either. Religion is a powerful force and in the wrong hands can be the most dangerous weapon on the planet, because it is the people. People believe in religion because it gives them faith, it's a power they can relate to and it explains some things for them, whether or not the explanations that religion gives are true or not is up to people to believe.
Well I don't think religion is the main cause for those people. Yes it strongly influence them, but I think they were already crazy to begin with.

I have a question, why "extreme" muslims feel that they need to kill a chirstians, when the other have doesn't? Well I'm going to answer that myself, it's just because of how people's minds work. You could even say that the religion didn't turn people crazy, people turn religion crazy. If you get what I am saying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Stromdancer?

Religion didn't say that witches had to be hunted. Religion didn't say that the WTC should be smashed into by a plane. It's people. People made that happen, and they have the audacity to use religion as an excuse. Do me a favour? Comb through the Koran, and show me where exactly it said that Muslims must bomb America?

Deathspector
Thank you, I totally agree.
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Last edited by scubasteveE; 10-01-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Stevee View Post
I have a question, why "extreme" muslims feel that they need to kill a chirstians, when the other have doesn't?
It's not just the Christians, though. It's the Hindus and Sikhs as well, especially in India. But in India, all religious extremists blow each other up. ><;

Deathspector
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Religion... Again

You're right Khajmer about religion being good but people have ruined I love the teachings of the bible about how we should all be good and respect everyone those are rules that everyone in general should follow I just never could believe that there is a god for multiple reasons. Also I do agree that people made religion crazy it's not there to cause death and pain it's to help better mankind but mankind failed it so horribly.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Demon_Shiron's Avatar
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Deadzone
Posts: 512
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
Wunschkind! I should've known you'd pop up the moment I saw this thread. Oh wait... I did. And don't think I'm discriminating against you by mainly responding to your posts, it's just easier for me because yours are shorter.



I don't. I want someone who will challenge my views, who's views I can challenge. If I'm going to be with someone for the rest of my life I want us to be able to learn from each other, and religious views are some of the best things you can learn from, in most cases (not all, see Nazi Germany)





You seem to be missing the point Wunschkind. He's not blaming Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, he's blaming Christianity for crimes committed in the name of Christianity. There's a difference. I disagree with him greatly, the blame should be placed on the people who committed the crimes, but I see where he's coming from and I respect that.



Shiron, don't. Wunschkind has as much right as you or me to post here. See, flame-fests require multiple people. All everyone has to remember is, don't get into a flame war with him. I'm sure he doesn't want flaming any more than the rest of us.

On the topic of religion in general, and blaming it for everything, no. Religion is actually an excellent thing, it gives people answers to the world around them and gives them faith in the future. For instance, a good Christian has nothing to fear from death because he knows he'll go to heaven. A Hindu has nothing to fear from death because he'll simply be reincarnated, and as long as he has good karma it'll work out for the better. And a Buddhist has nothing to fear from it because not only will they be reincarnated, but they'll also be one step closer to reaching nirvana and breaking the cycle. But what do atheists and other non-religious folk like me have to look forward to? Nothingness. And empty void of absolute despair and darkness that would be far worse than the deepest depths of hell itself because in the end, assuming we still have conscious thought, the loneliness and suffocating darkness would drive us mad. Hm... why do I want to go listen to death metal now? I hate death metal.

Likewise, we have religion to thank for most modern laws. Many American laws, for instance, are based off of Jeudo-Christian values. Let's face it, if religion had never existed the world would be in chaos. True, we could probably function without it now, but still...

Anyway, now it's Khajmer's turn. I'm an agnostic, which, for those of you don't know, basically means "I don't know." I don't know if there is a god, and I don't presume to know if there is and if so which one(s). I don't pretend like any one religion can have all the answers. I will never forget one very interesting afternoon in middle school where I was asking the Gods (which I use to refer to every single god of every religion out there and then some) for it to snow so I wouldn't have to take a test, and some girl walked up to me and said "There's only one God." I asked her "How do you know that?" And her reply was "Because I'm a Christian." To this day, those people sicken me. I won't knock religion and believing that your faith is right, but don't automatically assume that that makes it true. It's an opinion, not a fact.

And now, for a special piece on Christianity. I apologize to any I may offend.

Christianity confuses me. You believe yourselves the followers of Jesus, but at the same time you don't follow many of his teachings (most predominately being "Judge not lest ye be judged", as most of you condemn the rest of us to hell, a judgment on your part), you believe him to be the son of God and also the incarnation of God at the same time, you believe he established the Christian Church (so I'm told) and yet historically that was St. Paul, and you blame the Jews for Jesus' execution but a) that was supposed to happen in the first place as the great sacrifice and redemption of mankind, not to mention the fact that he was executed for the crime of sedition and nothing of a religious sort, not to mention a bunch of other stuff that I don't even know as I have yet to take the time to pick up a Bible and read it. If anyone who knows the Bible wants to challenge this then go ahead, I won't stop you. I'd actually be pleased to learn.
Meh, even though I don't wanna admit it, I will by saying that you are bringing up good points...
__________________


I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 AM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post


It's not just the Christians, though. It's the Hindus and Sikhs as well, especially in India. But in India, all religious extremists blow each other up. ><;

Deathspector
I know I just use those as examples.

Now this seems more like a discussion then arugument. Wonder why?
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Demon_Shiron's Avatar
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Deadzone
Posts: 512
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Religion... Again

Cause people are actually wising up (me too).
__________________


I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Pokol DaErran's Avatar
Pokol DaErran Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: To the Batcave!
Posts: 1,288
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
So you think religion is to blame for some spinarak's insanity?
No, and I'm actually going to talk about it later in this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
If personal attacks make you feel big, go right ahead. I'm not the one trying to convince a whole forum that religion should be condemned.
No, you're the one trying to convince a whole forum that they're violating your right to practice religion. You're obviously very passionate about this, but I would like it if you didn't take everything so personally. Flame off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Stromdancer?

Religion didn't say that witches had to be hunted. Religion didn't say that the WTC should be smashed into by a plane. It's people. People made that happen, and they have the audacity to use religion as an excuse. Do me a favour? Comb through the Koran, and show me where exactly it said that Muslims must bomb America?

Deathspector
:D
You hit the nail on the head. My point was that evil people are trying to use religion as an execuse to do evil things, and it really needs to stop. It's not really that religion-related, but it was the most religion-related thing I could think of that doesn't flame a forum member...
And now, to continue my anti-terrorist rant, since it got a good reception.
This time, we cover how the terrorist prevention units are at fault!
First up, I'm going to cover a point Wunschkind made. People seem to assume that people are terrorists just due to a certian religion, way of dress, ethnicity, etc etc. and have punished thousands of innocents in such a matter. And THEN, they employ the EXACT methods of torture that they claim to condemm on said innocents until they confess, often to something they had absolutely no involvement in. Oh yeah, and you know how politicians say that they're changing lives in the Middle East? Well, that might have something to do with all that carpet-bombing that's DESTROYING their lives. With this kind of stuff going on, you can see why all the other nations hate us.
The question of who's the "evil" side in this is widely disputed. I belive I have found the correct answer.
Both sides.
That's all for now.
__________________
98% of teens won't post irritating religious fads in their signatures. If you're in that 98%, please continue to do nothing.

Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 AM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokol DaErran View Post
No, you're the one trying to convince a whole forum that they're violating your right to practice religion. You're obviously very passionate about this, but I would like it if you didn't take everything so personally. Flame off.
No, they're not trying to violate anything. They'd like to though...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
No, they're not trying to violate anything. They'd like to though...
I'd say you're paranoid. ._. For once, can you read people's post before you post? kthxbai.

Mao Zedong said "Religion is the opiate of the masses." (Just in case you don't know, opiate = opium = drug) Now opium is a good drug. You get morphine from it, and without morphine, we wouldn't have things like general anaesthetia, and you'd scream during operations then faint. Of course, abusing opium is bad for you, since it's like taking drugs: You get hooked, money gets sucked, whatever.

Religion is about the same thing. Religion provides answers, and a good way of life. It's been mentioned before, and I'll say it again: The laws of America were founded on Judeo-Christian principles. Now, the laws of America would not exist without Christianity right?

Now, with every other organisation, you have fanatics, including religion. Basically they're on an overdose, and they are either already crazy when they get into the religion or they have been influenced by a fanatic. Then they go and start offing people. There're a lot of cases where these fanatics are all "Oh, look at this verse, tells us to go off the people! Rawr!" without looking at the context in which the statement was made. It's happened for homosexuality in Christianity as well, where this guy is all "look at this verse, it says something about how two men lying together is okay" when the context is like "as brothers/sisters/family of God we should help each other".

Blame the people. Not the religion. The religion didn't do anything wrong. It's the people that are being nutters and trying to kill stuff, and then they use religion to cover their tracks. Nice try.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 284
Default Re: Religion... Again

I'm okay with religion actually. Just as long as they don't try to forcefully convert people, fight or do stupid things to one another, it's fine with me.
__________________
Oh yeah
I'm back
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Tory vs Meaty II's Avatar
Tory vs Meaty II Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 4,445
Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm okay with religion actually. Just as long as they don't try to forcefully convert people, fight or do stupid things to one another, it's fine with me.
You've got the first post in this thread that PWNs. Wow, I haven't used the phrase "PWN" in a while
__________________


~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Cause people are actually wising up (me too).
Well I was meaning because Wunschkind hasn't been here for a while, well until a couple of post ago.

@wunschkind: Dude just relax. Don't think I'm out to get you, on the other hand I'm with you because I'm a chirstian.People is going to disagree with our beliefs forever and sitting here arguing with them is not going to do anything except get tempers up and turn this into a flame war. Hey thats sweet that your so passionate about your beliefs, but don't take things so personally.
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Last edited by scubasteveE; 10-02-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com