Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Chaos Rush Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default I just realized a certain problem...

I'm relatively new to writing (I've made some bad attempts at Serebii before), but I have one problem. Its that whenever I want to write a new Fanfic, I type it up, and then I start thinking something like, "Oh God, am I actually going to have to do this for at least 25 more times!?!? Screw this!".

What I'm saying is that once I write a chapter, I never publish it because after I finish writing the chapter I get all of my inspiration taken out of me, no longer having any enthusiasm for writing. That ALWAYS happens. The most chapters I've ever actually written in a Fanfic was 2, because I quit after that because it slowly drains all the desire to write a Fanfic out of me.

Any help on how to keep inspiration on writing a Fanfic? Last night I wrote half of a chapter of a possible Fanfic, but I ended thinking, "Screw this".
Old 07-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Rekhyt Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Default Re: I just realized a certain problem...

It just seems to me that you're losing inspiration. If I were you, I'd think of a scene that you really want to write, and do not allow yourself to write it until you reach it. Other than that, I suggest going threw completed fan fics and noticing how the authors there managed to finish them, listening to music, hanging out with friends or whatnot. Anything that can inspire you. If you get bored of writing, don't write, but don't give up either. There'll come a time when you decide to poke into your documents, find what you gave up on and give another shot at it, I can assure you.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

I agree with Oni, it takes time. I couldn't believe I started my fan fiction! Descriptions and getting the area down are what drain people the most, but once you get past it, it is fun to write things! I'll use my story as an example.

SonicX ended inconclusively. It left some things unknown, leaving out a new character even. I took that, and thought "How can I make this into a good story?" I took things that I have always wanted to do:

Wanted to make Sonic go insane...How often does a hero become a villain? Not often, actually.

Cami- What can I say? This character has been in my head for around four years, and has gone through many changes. Unlike other made up characters, she has a lot of detail around her, and I put a lot into making her a functional character.

Nazo- This character was left out of SonicX. He looked evil, so I decided to make a super villain...

Lastly, I wanted to kill Sonic in the end.

So, with those goals in mind, I had to figure out where they would fit in. I focused on the plot; saving Sonic from insanity and defeating Nazo so he can't take over the world. So, how would these characters fit in? What role would they play, how would I keep things interesting?

I then began to put important scenes in the story, figuring where they go. Once I was pleased with the storyline, I began to fine tune it, figuring what would happen and how. Then, I began to post chapters.

Basically, you can find inspiration in many things. Why do birds sing? Why do pokemon evolve? Why does the world spin? You can make up many theories for many of these things. You can also take ideas from shows/movies (as I did), or even videogames, expanding on them.

Choose something you love, and create a storyline around it. Don't force inspiration, inspiration will come to you.

And I just said something TOTALLY wise XD
Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 AM
scalec Offline

I used to have the same problem. I would start off a story, look at it, then bury it under something else so I would never look at it again. XD.
Like Grassy Aggron said, make up theorys and ideas, and see where it takes you.
What started my fic was that I was always annoyed with the story line ending of PMD games. You figure out the mystery, save the world, and then disapear. You then come back, and then we have a backstory. But what we never learn is what your life was like before turning into a Pokemon, and what happens if you die as a Pokemon. It seemed boring just to say your a 'budding young trainer' or 'person from the future' and then you just live your life as a Pokemon.
So I pieced togethor the first person to be a Pokemon, added some more mystery, brought him back as a Pokemorph, and BANG! I had all the inspiration I needed.
Once you start and get rolling, you can't stop. Just don't force yourself to do it. If you can't write something without forcing yourself to do it, leave it for another day.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Chillaxed09 Offline
Experienced Trainer

I know how you feel. When I started "I'm Sixteen..." the first time, I was like, "Crap, I'm going to be doing this until I get out of college..." and left it to rot. But I came across it again last month and, after rereading parts of it and recalling how enjoyable the actual writing of it was, picked it up once again.

Along with what everyone else has said, I find it easier to complete a fic when you know where it's going. You don't have to know every detail, but you should have an idea of how it will end and how you will get it to that end, as well as a couple of things you know you want to have happen in your story. Once you have that figured out, just enjoy the ride there. <3
Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

When I wrote my first fic, I loved it. Believing I would get praise for my writing, Iposted it on Serebii.

EPIC FAIL!

I got harsh criticism pointing out how bad my story was.

I gave up at that time.

I had always wanted to write a novel, and I had the idea in my head for the lonbgest time. I realised that my writing really was bad and I had to practise some more. THen I took a fic idea, somthing which I had been sitting on for the longest time.

I started writing Pokemon Infinity.

And believe me, the plot I have for it now is nothing to the plot I had when I first started writing it.

And it turns out, people do like the story. The positive reviews that I've been getting is really fuelling my desire to write.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have an idea that you really like and can fully devote to it, don't write.

Because then, you won't put your best into your fic.

And once you get some meaningful praise, it'll fuel your hopes.

I'm done rambling.

~P.P.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Chaos Rush Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke Poke View Post
When I wrote my first fic, I loved it. Believing I would get praise for my writing, Iposted it on Serebii.

EPIC FAIL!

I got harsh criticism pointing out how bad my story was.

I gave up at that time.

I had always wanted to write a novel, and I had the idea in my head for the lonbgest time. I realised that my writing really was bad and I had to practise some more. THen I took a fic idea, somthing which I had been sitting on for the longest time.

I started writing Pokemon Infinity.

And believe me, the plot I have for it now is nothing to the plot I had when I first started writing it.

And it turns out, people do like the story. The positive reviews that I've been getting is really fuelling my desire to write.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have an idea that you really like and can fully devote to it, don't write.

Because then, you won't put your best into your fic.

And once you get some meaningful praise, it'll fuel your hopes.

I'm done rambling.

~P.P.
Yeah, I learned the hard way, "Never post your fic at Serebii until you're ABSOLUTELY SURE that people will like it!"
Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

Yeah, same here. When I work on longer stories (The Experiment is 52 pages long by now), I'll often get writer's block. Brutal writer's block, as in I have no ideas for almost two months, XD
Usually, it's around that time that I take a break from writing so I don't ruin the story. But, yeah, like past replies have been advising, the best way to avoid screwing up your fics is to avoid making yourself write. I think most of us write because we like to, and I don't find it anywhere near as easy to write if you're being forced to.

One of the best things I do is take breaks from writing if I don't like the ideas I've had. Either that or listen to music while writing, it helps quite a bit. And, as already said, it's also a good idea to borrow ideas from other sources... so long as you don't copy them word for word. That wouldn't be good, lol.

Last edited by Michelle8936; 01-23-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRushXx View Post
Yeah, I learned the hard way, "Never post your fic at Serebii until you're ABSOLUTELY SURE that people will like it!"

I know. And it really surprised me when people in Serebii liked my story.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Yeah. It's important to WANT to write your story. Of course, mine has been brooding in my head for around a year or so...But yeah, when I look at the plot I had at the beginning, it has changed very little, but the way of getting to it has changed a lot. You never know how your story will change, it just will.

You'll find that as you write, it will evolve. And as they say; you can't stop evolution.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRushXx View Post
Hm...I've never tried to post a story at Serebii...I don't think I'm a good enough author yet though.

As for writing my story, well...I just think of ideas for a basic plot at first, and then get more and more ideas as I go along. I guess whenever I get a new idea I get excited and look forward to writing it, so that keeps me excited about the story. When I get writer's block I try to think of new ideas or listen to music.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

I thought the same thing before with "Nothing, Everything." Before at first I was excited about it and I just kept writing that story. However, I then look back at it and I thought it sucks, so I quit and thought I won't ever think about that story again.

However, one day after playing Diamond and reading another fanfic at Serebii, I decided to try my hand again with that story, this time changing many things. Now that story is finished, though I'm revising the chapters at the moment before I post them.

Yeah, like Oni said, sometimes you might forget that story for a year or so, but eventually you'll go back to it. :P

As for inspiration, many times. I get them from real life, books, movies, games, music, and TV. Yeah, inspiration is everywhere.

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

You should know where you're going with the story before you start writing it. If you are even capable of writing one chapter and thinking "Aw, I can't be bothered to write more," you clearly aren't really going anywhere and to you the chapter is just an excuse to write something. You shouldn't do it that way. Care about what's going on. Think about the story - get to know the characters in your head, love them for who they are, and get yourself to care what happens to them. You don't need to know every detail of what happens in the story, but you should know - and care - about something that's going to happen in the future of the story, preferably multiple things, and know vaguely how the characters are going to get there. If you can do that, you'll really want to go on.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:53 AM
james_gotex Offline

You should write the first 2-3 chapters before you post it up, if your like me [which from your first post it sounds like it], I like to think of part of the sorty I really want to do, well mostly several, I have already done one, I did it early to egg me on.
I sometime sit at work with a cup of Tea in my break and think about my story, I think what I will do next to keep the reader interested, and keep me interested at the same time, If you dont have a job, then think about it whenever really.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Giratina Offline

Do you have a favorite character from the series you're writing a fanfiction about? Maybe consider using that character in your fic, perhaps as some sort of main character. (The reason being that if they just leave the story before it ends you might get uninspired again and who wants to have some character poofing in and out all the time?)

I haven't actually gotten past the first chapter of any fanfic I hve ever attempted except for one, which included one of my favorite human characters from the Pokemon games. (Guess who it is! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
You'll find that as you write, it will evolve. And as they say; you can't stop evolution.
Well, technically you can, but...

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 09-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.