Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Chaos Rush Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default "Game" Fics...

What are your opinion on Fanfics based on the actual Pokemon video games? I'm not talking of the spin-off games, I'm talking about the REAL Pokemon games, such as Red, Gold, Sapphire, Pearl...there, I named one from every generation.

I mean, all the games aren't so big in plot, and if it were a Fanfic it could definately be expanded. A great example of this is a certain Fanfic that I know of that somebody wrote at SPPF called, "Pokemon Revelation: Cross of Fates". I know that the tile is REALLY lame, but the general story is based on Pokemon Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen, but everything has been expanded into something "story-like".

Usually they're cliche and very boring to read, but if someone were to do it right it would be interesting, seeing as they would know how to alter/expand the plot line of the games. Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C/FR/LG obviously weren't that big on plot, but any Fanfic could expand them into large things. And Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Diamond/Pearl already have a nice plot to either change or build upon (especially R/S/E).

So do you think "game" fics are cliche/boring? Or do you agree that if they were done right, they could be something very interesting?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator
Default Re: "Game" Fics...

Almost any idea can be great if done correctly. However, the majority of people who do a fic based exactly or near-exactly on the games do so out of laziness and lack of originality, and thus the fics have a fair amount of stigma attatched. Unfair, perhaps, though I do still believe strongly in making original plots, even when using canon, so I tend to have an aversion to those fics. Even if they expand on the ideas, I have a definite "been there, done that" feeling, and mostly can predict where the plot goes, which is boring.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

If done correctly, someone could even do an Animal Crossing game if they think about it. Many people just don't put time into their stories, and end up just taking another one. Same goes with stories based off of shows. Expand off what is given, or give an ending to a cliffhanger.

Example for R/S/E: What happened to Team Aqua/Magma after their defeat? Where did Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza go?

Any game can be made into a story, you just need to use imagination.

An example? Tyrell made a Brawl fic, but instead of using Tabuu/characters in the game, he's basing his AFTER Tabuu was defeated, and with not only the original characters, but with others from the same genre. THAT is what a story should be made of.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

I think these kinds of stories can be interesting if they are done well, and there are lots of plot twists and such. I haven't read any yet, though, so I'm not entirely sure about how I feel about them yet. But like I said before, I do think they can be done well.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Team Devastation Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Team Devastation Send a message via MSN to Team Devastation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
I think these kinds of stories can be interesting if they are done well, and there are lots of plot twists and such. I haven't read any yet, though, so I'm not entirely sure about how I feel about them yet. But like I said before, I do think they can be done well.
Yes, I agree people who write fanfics based on these games (ie. journeys) usually give up after one or two chapters, as they lose intrest very quickly and start another.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Rekhyt Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

These 'game' fan fics that you're referring to are called OT fics, which stand for Original Trainer fics, but I just call them Journey fan fics as that's easier to understand.

Also, I don't see how you can say that they're boring when you're talking about Pokémon Fan Fiction. Just about everything in Pokémon Fan Fiction is taken from the games; movesets, locations, characters, where certain Pokémon appear, the location of Legendaries. The anime has also had a hand, but its the games that lead the way. I know where you're coming from though, because it's mostly all the same; the trainer gets his/her first Pokémon and goes on an adventure like what we've played ourselves, it's not going to grasp our attention for too long, now, is it?

In truth, I dislike them because nobody can really write them that well and the rare person who can normally gives up after a chapter or two.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Raichu View Post
These 'game' fan fics that you're referring to are called OT fics, which stand for Original Trainer fics, but I just call them Journey fan fics as that's easier to understand.
Um, no.

OT fics are fanfictions about a trainer that the author has made up, and they take that trainer on the typical trainer journey; fighting against gyms and defeating the Elite Four and the like. The Game fanfictions that are described here are fanfictions that follow the plot of a game, most commonly using characters from that game and they use the region of the aforementioned game. Are you saying that a trainer fic about the Orange Islands isn't an OT because it's not from a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Raichu View Post
In truth, I dislike them because nobody can really write them that well and the rare person who can normally gives up after a chapter or two.
Ever heard of Dr Skottie? Phoenix004? Saber? These are all authors who didn't give up after the first chapter or two. It's not easy writing a game fanfiction, but they did it. Who says other people can't?

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Any idea can be made into a good fic, short story, or novel if the right person is behind it. Even a really really stupid idea is good because it can be turned into crackfic, which everyone loves. The only reason I avoid this genre is because you have to be at a higher caliber than most in order to write it well.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
Any idea can be made into a good fic, short story, or novel if the right person is behind it. Even a really really stupid idea is good because it can be turned into crackfic, which everyone loves. The only reason I avoid this genre is because you have to be at a higher caliber than most in order to write it well.
That makes sense. I know where you're coming from. But to be completely honest, Game fics are really what started the whole Pokémon fanfiction craze, so we have to give them credit. xP

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Yeah, I agree that any fic is good, whether the fic is based off a game, anime, etc. Pretty much every fic is of a trainer starting on a journey, though some are better quality than others and also only a few are finished.

As for me reading them, I did and a few are very good.

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Giratina Offline

Actually, part of the point of my story is to remove a cliffhanger of a character that just goes *poof* into thin air, and how life has changed in the character's absence.

I don't like to write stories based on the carbon-copy barebones plotline, even when I try to make them as bizarre as possible - a fanfic on another forum demonstrates this. I just lose interest and the story dies.

But when you throw a fanfiction with some of my favorite Pokemon and characters into the mix (as well as cameos from a few I made nyself) it gets more interesting and fun to write. Plus, if you consider all of those one-episode filler Trainers without a real place, and try to insert them into your story, it's even more fun, in my opinion.

So if you like the idea of a young kid running off to be a Pokemon Master defeating a usually failistic antagonist orginization in the process, go for it. I'm not stopping you. But if it's not something you are looking forward to writing, thinking about how to continue it a lot in your non-computer life, that you're writing just for the sake of having a pretty banner or bragging rights or a chance at fame, don't even bother.

I know, I haven't published a good fanfic yet, but many a shattered fic has died in my computer due to the simple fact I saw no point in doing them.

If you like Trainer fics, do a Trainer fic. Just don't make it a cliche Trainer fic.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)