Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma
Default Re: Darn Tree Huggers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Though that may be true, trees are, and i know this is MAJOR corny, but they are "The lungs of the Earth." And if we cut some of them down people will think it okay and cut more down and that may lead to burning them for energy and that may lead to global warming, and trees were not meant for that, and anyway, if someone cannot afford pertrol[gas] they do not moan about it they look for an alternative, for example riding bikes or walking.
Although some humans are really stupid, most are smart enough to know we need trees to live. And besides, we have much better things to use for energy than trees.

And I'd like to see you ride a bike if you are one of the people who live over 30 minutes away (driving) from a grocery store. =P

There are some places in Wyoming (I think) where someone may live many hours away from just a town. =P
Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

First off, Dragon_Master, it's spelled environmentalist. Second of all, if we drill for oil right now, it won't matter at all. The reason oil costs so much has nothing to do with a lack of oil, it has everything to do with the fact that we have oil, we just can't refine it. Oil=/= gas until it is refined. And, for some reason I can't fathom, people think it would be smarter to drill up mor oil that we won't be able to refine and destroy the environment even MORE than to build more refineries. Yeah, but don't ask me. I'm just another darn tree-hugger.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
First off, Dragon_Master, it's spelled environmentalist. Second of all, if we drill for oil right now, it won't matter at all. The reason oil costs so much has nothing to do with a lack of oil, it has everything to do with the fact that we have oil, we just can't refine it. Oil=/= gas until it is refined. And, for some reason I can't fathom, people think it would be smarter to drill up mor oil that we won't be able to refine and destroy the environment even MORE than to build more refineries. Yeah, but don't ask me. I'm just another darn tree-hugger.
It's amazing why we don't drill here in America. Are we just too perfect to drill in our own backyard? We keep depending on these two words; foreign oil. Our government KNOWS we could get cheaper oil by drilling in our own nation. Yet those foreign countries keep jacking up the prices.

We either drill in our backyard, or depend on alternative fuels, which I'm not exactly sure about...

I used to be a tree-hugger, but I am no longer completely one. Sure, we have the special lightbulbs, and we recycle, but we aren't obsessed with keeping our earth green. Why? Our family doesn't believe in global warming, unlike the majority of the nation, who are saps who skipped their third grade science lesson; the Earth's crust SHIFTS. The reason why the ice caps are melting is because the ice caps are MOVING. We have done damage to our earth, which is undeniable, but global warming isn't the answer.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post
It's amazing why we don't drill here in America. Are we just too perfect to drill in our own backyard? We keep depending on these two words; foreign oil. Our government KNOWS we could get cheaper oil by drilling in our own nation. Yet those foreign countries keep jacking up the prices.
Is it our job to go into their country and get their oil?
We either drill in our backyard, or depend on alternative fuels, which I'm not exactly sure about...

I used to be a tree-hugger, but I am no longer completely one. Sure, we have the special lightbulbs, and we recycle, but we aren't obsessed with keeping our earth green. Why? Our family doesn't believe in global warming, unlike the majority of the nation, who are saps:\ I'm pretty sure most of America aren't saps, and iirc, you don't learn that in third grade. =\ who skipped their third grade science lesson; the Earth's crust SHIFTS. The reason why the ice caps are melting is because the ice caps are MOVING. We have done damage to our earth, which is undeniable, but global warming isn't the answer.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
My comments are in bold.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that tree huggers only affect cutting down trees, and not drilling oil, which is what this topic is coming too.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to c-wooper

Its all because of the democrats and environmentalist that let our ******* lands be drilled by others but not us.
gas=4$ a gallon
woohoo!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wooper View Post
Its all because of the democrats and environmentalist that let our ******* lands be drilled by others but not us.
gas=4$ a gallon
woohoo!!!!!
=\

Care to explain? Random bashing doesn't really ever help anyone.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wooper View Post
gas=4$ a gallon
woohoo!!!!!
Like SE, care to expain? I see nothing wrong with people not wanting to slowly destroy the earth. =P
Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Eevee View Post
My comments are in bold.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that tree huggers only affect cutting down trees, and not drilling oil, which is what this topic is coming too.
Tree-hugger is a general term used for environmentalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wooper
gas=4$ a gallon
woohoo!!!!!
Okay, you want to elaborate? Back that up? Do something other than blame us environmentalist folks? Not swear incessently?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Alright, alright I'm going to "elaborate".
What I meant was,
this last year, many of the democrats in the senate have voted against drilling in places around our own lands like at the tip of florida or colorado(those are just some examples.)
The reason they voted against it was that they said it was harmful to the environment.
But the environment is being harmed because other countries are drilling in those spots.
So, KFC: It's destroying the earth, even though we arent drilling there.
While we sit around and do nothing but wait for Obama to make things run on solar and wind power.

Last edited by c-wooper; 07-17-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Except, with the rize in gas prices, people are driving a little less on average. If the price goes down, people might start driving more again, and release more harmful gases into the environment.

Plus, we can save the unmined oil until most countries nearly run out, then we can sell our oil which could be worth a lot if others run out. =P
Old 07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Except, with the rize in gas prices, people are driving a little less on average. If the price goes down, people might start driving more again, and release more harmful gases into the environment.

Plus, we can save the unmined oil until most countries nearly run out, then we can sell our oil which could be worth a lot if others run out. =P
Yes, won't that be an amusing change of pace.

And yeah, higher gas prices aren't actually all that bad. As KFC just said, the more costly gas is, the less people will be driving, and the less people drive, the better for the environment. Then, get this, the price of gas will then lower, and lower, and lower, and by then people will have gotten used to walking or biking to work, or taking public transportation, and will continue to enjoy the free-extremely cheap modes of transportation. And guess where all that now much cheaper oil is going. Yep, you guessed it, airlines, who will then proceed to lower airfare, allowing people to fly regularly. You see how nice that all will be?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post

Yeah but if we wanted to sell it we would have to drill.
And that's what your against, right?

Quote:
And yeah, higher gas prices aren't actually all that bad. As KFC just said, the more costly gas is, the less people will be driving, and the less people drive, the better for the environment. Then, get this, the price of gas will then lower, and lower, and lower, and by then people will have gotten used to walking or biking to work, or taking public transportation, and will continue to enjoy the free-extremely cheap modes of transportation. And guess where all that now much cheaper oil is going. Yep, you guessed it, airlines, who will then proceed to lower airfare, allowing people to fly regularly. You see how nice that all will be?
People wont start driving less anytime soon.
Trust me, the people of america are not going to start riding there bikes everywhere.
And If we don't drill we wont have that "much cheaper oil".

Last edited by c-wooper; 07-28-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

1) I'm against drilling when it is almost completely unassecary. Nobody will die because of the prices we have now. If people really need to, they can use other sources of transportation.

2) People are driving less already. Most aren't riding bikes, but a lot are taking less 'Joy rides' and using their cars less.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant527 View Post
iam kinda a tree huger. and i do live on the atlantic coast lol. but iam no redneck haha. i think all trucks should be banned to save oil. unless you really need a truck. most ppl dont though
I lol'd at this.