Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default The Ethics of Abortion

I'm assuming since we're allowed to talk about gay marriage here, we can talk about abortion. What do you think? Right? Or wrong?

I, for one, am against it. Sorry to sound like the typical Republican that is pro-life, against gay marriage, and supportive of the war in Iraq, but it's just plain wrong; it's inhumane. It's disgusted many Americans. Ever heard of partial-birth abortion? That's what a woman does when the baby's close to being born. They suck the brains out of the baby to kill it. Now doesn't that sound wrong? In a certain state, I forget which, they asked Obama about making a law where if the baby survived the abortion, would it be required to save the baby? Obama disapproved of it. Doesn't that sound messed up, wasting a life? When the Democrats mess up, the press never OR BARELY mentions it. However, when the REPUBLICANS mess up, it's FRONT PAGE NEWS.

The only time abortion should be made legal is if the woman absolutely MUST have an abortion, because it would be bad for her health in any way, OR if the woman is raped. Those should be the only times abortions should be made necessary, and when the women should have a choice. Don't want the baby? Put it up for adoption; someone will want him/her.

So, PE2K... what's your opinion?

<TheSorrowOfPE2K>
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao
Default Re: Abortion? Right or wrong?

I'm completely for it. If a woman wants to abort her baby, it's her choice. The government doesn't have the right to decide that for her, it's her body. Being completely honest, if the government made abortion illegal I'd be right out there on the street with a picket sign.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
SuperSmashBrawl Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to SuperSmashBrawl

Imo, Adoption > Abortion. Unless the mother is like, dying of cancer, where a birth would probably kill her, or the baby is like, almost dead(I heard this one story about a fetus w/o a head, and it was stealing the live baby's food). Otherwise, there's no excuse to NOT having the kid, and just going to an adoption agency.

Last edited by SuperSmashBrawl; 07-12-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmashBrawl View Post
Imo, Adoption > Abortion. Unless the mother is like, dying of cancer, where a birth would probably kill her, or the baby is like, almost dead(I heard this one story about a fetus w/o a head, and it was stealing the live baby's food). Otherwise, there's no excuse to NOT having the kid, and just going to an adoption agency.
How about the excuse that if a woman doesn't want to have a baby she shouldn't be forced to? Sure, she could put it up for adoption, but I still think that's completely the choice for her to make. It's not all about raising the baby, some women just aren't emotionally ready for the birthing process itself. Pregnancy is a hormone rampage.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
SuperSmashBrawl Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to SuperSmashBrawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
How about the excuse that if a woman doesn't want to have a baby she shouldn't be forced to? Sure, she could put it up for adoption, but I still think that's completely the choice for her to make. It's not all about raising the baby, some women just aren't emotionally ready for the birthing process itself. Pregnancy is a hormone rampage.
At the risk of sounding like a douche; If she isn't prepared to have a baby, why not just take extra precautions? Of course, some situations, like rape, there's no possible way to protect herself, that's understandable. Of course, I'm against abortion nonetheless. It's bad enough that's even an option. People complain about slaughter of animals, what makes this any different? You're basically saying this kid doesn't deserve to live, before he is even born. That is my opinion, and I choose to stick with it.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post

The hormone rampage is true, I've witnessed it twice; but in my opinion, IT'S MURDER. Sure, when it's still in the wound, it's not human, but it will be one someday. What's more important? Emotions of a human being? Or the human being itself?

<TheSorrowOfPE2K>
Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post

The hormone rampage is true, I've witnessed it twice; but in my opinion, IT'S MURDER. Sure, when it's still in the wound, it's not human, but it will be one someday. What's more important? Emotions of a human being? Or the human being itself?

<TheSorrowOfPE2K>
First of all, since you'll never be pregnant and have to deal with the troubles it brings, you're acting very righteous to judge others.

Second, there are many reasons why people resort to abortion. In islamic countries, someone who gets pregnant out of wedlock will be stoned to death, and the baby will be killed too. Is it not better for the woman to save herself with an abortion? The child is going to be murdered either way, at least she'll live.

Then there's the other possibilities that lead to unwanted pregnancies too early, like rape and incest. No one should be forced to carry a kid, though with the morning after pill, abortions shouldn't really be needed too often in these situations.

And finally, the health of the mother is important. Partial birth abortions, IIRC, are now allowed only if the mother's life is in danger. That's something we need to not get rid of. Speaking from a religious standpoint, I stand behind allowing this kind of abortion if the mother is in danger. You can't know whether it's life threatening, either, so any serious threat to health ought to be enough to allow an abortion. I can't speak for christianity, but while Judaism does place a lot of emphasis on having kids, but the life of the living mother comes before the life of the unborn child. So if there's a problem or illness, then it should be allowed.

A better option might be to save the baby without making teh mother carry it. Science is working now on transplanting and freezing embryos. If a reliable method of this is discovered, then someone who didn't want to give birth could have the kid implanted into a Pro-life person willing to carry it for them. Heck, there was a story in the news a while back, about a nun who felt that extracting human eggs was wrong, since those eggs / embryos would never be fertilized, so she had some fertilized, then implanted in her as a surrogate, so she could 'give birth' to them/be a surrogate parent.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

Eh..I'm kind of neutral on this. Some situations I can fully support abortion, some I do not. Mainly the petty teenage sleeping around and winding up pregnant only to run and get an abortion; those are stupid. But who could compile a rule book about when it is necessary and when it is not? Who has the right to judge which mother may be permitted to have one?

That's why I lean towards the choice. Making it illegal won't solve the problem.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Abortion...depends on the individual. I don't care about what arguments are up- Ethics, human lives, this, that, whatever. Abortion's legal, and if voluntary, it's fine.

I don't get why others want to interfere in an area that does not concern them, or about a mentally and psychologically disturbing phase, to which they only have a third person's point of view. And on top of it, guys like to interfere, thinking they know all about it, and talk about ethics. Pathetic, if you ask me.

So my point- It depends on the individual. Right or wrong is out of the question.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Flygon Ruler Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Wait...There actually a thread about abortions..............On a pokemon forum? About such a serious topic???

Wow.

Well, here's my side. I understand how its wrong to take a baby's life and all that, but if a person doesn't want to have a baby, they shouldn't have to. Its not their fault, well...mostly their fault, that they got pregnant. I mean, it may be wrong, but you should still have the right to avoid all that pain (thank god I'm a boy). Besides, if we're talking aout teenage pregnancies, you can die from giving birth if your too small.
Therefore, abortions may not be the best idea, but shouldn't be illegal. I mean look at Juno (good movie) and Jamie Lynn Spears (and it was a good show too...) they chose to have their babies (even though they had to cut Jamie open to save the thing) but not all women may want to go through the pain and open tomachs. Their choice.

Its not a serious thing to me, being a guy and all, but I do have a strong point, even though I may not go out there and publicly support it.

FC: 4425-2653-4349

~Current VPP~

Done:1144

Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

There was an abortion thread made a long while, ago, Flygon Ruler, it's not that much of a shocker.

I'm all for legal abortion.

It should not be illegal, but it should not be pressed as an only resort for the trampy teenagers who go around sleeping with a lot of boys. It should be an open option, however, seeing as outlawing it would stir up a whole batch of unnecessary and easily avoided issues.

I do have a problem with it being used as just another 'pregnancy-avoidance' with teenagers, but it should definetely be up for option for women who can't bear or maintain the stress of taking care of a baby if they're already in a tight spot with finances, or their life is too busy, anyway.

This is difficult to word, seeing as this is just not one of those topics where you can say it's right or wrong and be done with it.
There'll be moments when I'm supportive for it, and there'll be times when I want all clinics that practice abortion to be out of reach of the young tramp who got pregnant, as a serious life lesson. It's not my fault she can't keep her legs crossed.
And yes, I'm that cold with underaged pregnancy.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Abortion is murder. Abortion is killing the fetus. A fetus is still a phase of human development; a human fetus, but still a human nonetheless.

$10 will buy you a pack of condoms. If you can't afford condoms, you can't afford a baby, and therefore you can't afford sex.

I understand that rape pregnancy is a different set of circumstances, but it's still no reason to abort; it's not about whether the child was conveived in love or hate, it's about whether the child is raised with love or hate.

Azumao, you're wrong; during pregnancy, no matter what the cause, the womans body is no longer her body, it's her child's body, and it's her duty to protect herself and take care of herself, thus taking care of the child who is dependant on her body for 9 months. If she can't handle it, too bad; she should of thought about that before having sex. Again, if it was rape, it wasn't her choice, but it becomes her choice whether to make the best of the situation or to kill the child.

Remember, under the circumstances of rape, the child isn't asking for life any more than you're asking for the child.

And in the case of accidental pregnancy, abortion is unfair to the partner who may want the child. It's 50% the man's, 50% the woman's. The woman being the childbearer is just life; in almost every scenario, the man wishes he could share in the pleasure and pain of child bearing. So don't say it's just the woman's choice.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 07-12-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

I'm against it unless it was a rape, or it's something serious like having the baby is gonna kill the mother or something like that.

I'm not gonna argue a lot, that's just my thoughts.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Abortion is murder. Abortion is killing the fetus. A fetus is still a phase of human development; a human fetus, but still a human nonetheless.
It is an undeveloped human infant. It has no thoughts or developed brain. This is a harsh term to compare it to, but if you think about it, babies are parasitic in the womb of the mother. The only benefit that a woman really has during pregnancy is that little hint of joy that 9(-) months later, and that sucker's going to be out of her. Yes, it is a human in all reality, but it is also nothing more than a leech at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Azumao, you're wrong; during pregnancy, no matter what the cause, the womans body is no longer her body, it's her child's body, and it's her duty to protect herself and take care of herself, thus taking care of the child who is dependant on her body for 9 months. If she can't handle it, too bad; she should of thought about that before having sex. Again, if it was rape, it wasn't her choice, but it becomes her choice whether to make the best of the situation or to kill the child.
It's not her child's body, as said previously, it is being developed in the woman's body, with her being the host to 'care for', and nurture the baby's development. Little do people realize, motherhood takes place once the semen fertilizes the egg, for you have have to care for the baby's development in your body.

A harsh reality, babies are parasites in the woman's womb during pregnancy. Yes, nine months later they will be human beings, but I'm not one to look too far into the future, I live in the present :/

I'm not challenging, merely voicing my opinion on what you've stated.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Siris Avrage Offline
Experienced Trainer

I (like everyone else) am against it...
mainly because your basically killing someone. and sure it may not be fair to the mother but its more on the baby for not even having the joy of life? (most of it anyway). For all we know the baby you "Aborted" (don't know if thats how you say it or what) could be the one who finds the cure for cancer, AIDS, etc...
so in my word
"Think before you act"