Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Hazmatt Offline

Default Lanturn or Azumarill?

Hey guys.

I'm training a new team, and I was wondering what you guys thought. I'm trying to decide between Lanturn or Azumarill to complete my team.

Lanturn, Lv50
Hardy, Sea Incense
Thunder
Rain Dance/Toxic
Surf
Ice Beam

^I'm not sure whether I should keep Rain Dance and teach it Toxic or not. Rain Dance will strengthen the already STABed Surf, and Sea Inc. will add onto this. That makes Surf's base power:

Sea Incense: 95 x 1.1 = 104.5
STAB: 104.5 x 1.5 = 156.75
Rain Dance: 156.75 x 1.5 = 235.125

That's a powerful surf, and Rain Dance will also make Thunder's accuracy 100%. However, Toxic is more versatile, and it means I can poison anything that tries to switch in and then get outta there. Ice Beam is there for Flygon/Hippowdon/Groudon etc, who would otherwise destroy Lanturn with Earthquake.

And then, we have...

Azumarill, Lv50
Brave, Mystic Water
Surf
Focus Punch
Ice Punch
Belly Drum

^I would like to use both Lanturn and Azumarill, but I only have room for one with the rest of the team. Azu can hit hard with Surf, but he doesn't have the Rain Dance to power it up. Belly Drum makes Ice Punch/Focus Punch stupidly powerful, but sometimes I feel that Azu can be too sluggish to get a hit in before he dies.

I prefer Lanturn, but I think that both can have their uses. Thoughts?
"DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAARGH!"
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Tasteless Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tasteless
Default Re: Lanturn or Azumarill?

Why would you use Hardy lanturn?
All neutral natures suck.

Azumarill is a physical sweeper. It has huge Power. Surf should not be the main part of its set.

Apparently 101% of all teenagers are homosexual. Who knew?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Hazmatt Offline

My mistake, Lanturn's nature is Hasty, not Hardy.

And, yes, you're right. I guess I should switch Surf for Waterfall.
"DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAARGH!"
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Tasteless Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tasteless

Aah.
Well, if you're going to use a Lanturn he is usually a special wall, so a good nature would be Calm. This one you have is sort of an offensive set so Modest might be good.

It really depends on what your team needs though. If you have a lot of attacking Pokemon with water attacks or Thunder, Lanturn would be good to set up Rain Dance. If you need a physical attacker than Azumarill is pretty good. :P

Neither is just better in general though.

Apparently 101% of all teenagers are homosexual. Who knew?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 AM
J-Dubb Offline

In my opinion I say Azumarill is the better but I prefer this set

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adament Huge Power (< That is Important)

Ev's: 252 Att/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP

Water Fall
Focus Punch
Double Edge
Aqua Jet

I like this set because choice band + Huge Power + Stab Aqua Jet = a devistating powerful move
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

Well if your looking for a attacker use Azu for sure.
Aumarill@Leftovers
Adamant nature
Huge power
Evs-252 attack/252 Hp/6 Speed
~Aqua jet
~Substitute
~Focus punch
~Toxic/Return/Waterfall
I use this set and it works very very well.

Or you can use the CB one that the other kid posted.

But if you really need a lanturn set :P
LanturnLeftovers
Volt absorb
Evs-40 HP / 192 SpA / 240 SpD / 36 Spe
~Confuse ray
~Thunder wave
~Surf
~Ice beam/Thunder bolt
Well nothing really to say except for support really. T-bolt rapes gyara but the you have a salamane problam with no ice beam.....your choice.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
nummynoisesforhire Offline
Amateur Trainer

Lantern is immune to electric attacks, and EQ is one of the easiest things to predict and switch out to. Ice beam is useful, but keep in mind that Lanturn is never going to beat the dragons in speed, and the EQ will get him. Also, I think you have your calculations wrong on Surf damage. The calculations would not be cumulative. The multipliers would value only the 95 base power of surf separately.
Clauses: species, ubers, evasion, Hacks, Hax, Sleep, OH KO
RECORD: 19-12
Current streak: +5
Member of Team Ultimate Nightmare
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummynoisesforhire View Post
Lantern is immune to electric attacks, and EQ is one of the easiest things to predict and switch out to. Ice beam is useful, but keep in mind that Lanturn is never going to beat the dragons in speed, and the EQ will get him. Also, I think you have your calculations wrong on Surf damage. The calculations would not be cumulative. The multipliers would value only the 95 base power of surf separately.
It's cumulative. :/ Otherwise there's no point getting them to stack.

Lanturn is more support and it can kill Dragons, but make sure it's not in the way of a physical Dragon. It stands a slight chance against SpecsMence, but don't count on it.

For an attacker, just take Azumarill all the way. :/

Anyway, for sets:

Lanturn: Rain Dance is fine since Lanturn should be able to set it up. Maybe pair it with a Swift Swimmer as well for more power. Kingdra sound good?

Azumarill: Aqua Tail over Surf. :/ Belly Drum is fine, but get some support for Azu since it'll die by being slow as crap. Consider packing Salac Berry for item instead, and Substitute over Focus Punch. FP does nothing for you, honestly. If you're not gonna replace it with Sub, maybe replace with Ice Punch for coverage. Either that or drop Ice Punch as well and go Earthquake/Rock Slide. If you're dropping Belly Drum as well, use Life Orb or Choice Band and stick in another attack of your choice. Water Jet/Elemental Punches recommended.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Bouncy_Pig Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
It's cumulative. :/ Otherwise there's no point getting them to stack.

Lanturn is more support and it can kill Dragons, but make sure it's not in the way of a physical Dragon. It stands a slight chance against SpecsMence, but don't count on it.

For an attacker, just take Azumarill all the way. :/

Anyway, for sets:

Lanturn: Rain Dance is fine since Lanturn should be able to set it up. Maybe pair it with a Swift Swimmer as well for more power. Kingdra sound good?

Azumarill: Aqua Tail over Surf. :/ Belly Drum is fine, but get some support for Azu since it'll die by being slow as crap. Consider packing Salac Berry for item instead, and Substitute over Focus Punch. FP does nothing for you, honestly. If you're not gonna replace it with Sub, maybe replace with Ice Punch for coverage. Either that or drop Ice Punch as well and go Earthquake/Rock Slide. If you're dropping Belly Drum as well, use Life Orb or Choice Band and stick in another attack of your choice. Water Jet/Elemental Punches recommended.
Azumaril is WAY better. it has more attacks and is faster. Focus Punch suck coz you always get hit before yo get to use it. that is how i beet normans slakings on ruby.