Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Armageddon, Apocalypse, End of the World, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djax94 View Post
Eurgh. This is dumb. How can you predict something so huge as the end of the world? >>;

Because a lot of people think it'll happen soon, and don't you think it would be a good thing to discuss this kind of stuff? It's not dumb; it's smart.

.::GD::.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post

Because a lot of people think it'll happen soon, and don't you think it would be a good thing to discuss this kind of stuff? It's not dumb; it's smart.

.::GD::.
Well no, because people are saying "Oh, the world will end on <insert date here> because <insert name here> said so!" and it's annoying. How can anyone predict the exact date the world will end? In that case, it's not smart at all. It is dumb. >>;
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
suzyK Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

When the sun explodes, we all die, along with the Earth. Is that good enough?

It won't be till a long time, though.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Hakken Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Hakken Send a message via MSN to Hakken Send a message via Yahoo to Hakken

I believe in global warming, and I believe we have made it worse. CO2 levels have never been as high as they are now, or at least not in recordable history, and they're still on the rise. Yes, the heat spikes are cyclical. That's true. It's a natural phenomenon... But we've made it worse.

Would that be the end? Perhaps. It may not bake the earth to death, but it might have other effects. Africa, for example, would be screwed. The ice caps would melt, causing arctic ecosystems to collapse and die. Sea levels would rise, putting coastal land underwater. With the Earth already overpopulated, it would cause even more global warming. Perhaps there's nothing we can do.

If you think that may be the end, that's up to you. I'm not sure. But I believe something like this is coming, and coming soon. I don't really believe Al Gore, as you can see, but most of my opinions come from other sources and books. I don't even think Al Gore is really relevant to this conversation. He may be a fake, but there are a lot of scientists with a lot of different theories.

Do I believe in the "end of the world"? Maybe, but not as a *direct* result of Global Warming.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Fishy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Fishy

There is no question when or how the world is going to end. It could end a weird way then what people figured out. And as for dating the happening,-who knows! Maybe it will even be tonight. There is a endless possiblity. As for me I'm trying to live life the fullest because I know where I'm going when I die-Heaven with my family and God.

People shouldn't be worried about it! It takes chunks out of your time. As for the "death" part-thats a fate we all share.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:12 AM
silverlugia2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to silverlugia2

Taken from spacescienc.com:

The future looks bright for the Earth – but not in the way we’d hoped. The slim chance our planet will survive when the Sun begins its death throes has been ruled out.
In a few billion years, the Sun will fuse the last of its hydrogen into helium, turn into a red giant and expand to 250 times its current size. At first, the Sun’s loss of mass will loosen its gravitational pull on Earth, which will allow the planet to migrate to a wider orbit about 7.6 billion years from now.
This process has led some to speculate that the Earth might escape destruction – but survival now seems impossible, says Peter Schröder of the University of Guanajuato in Mexico and Robert Smith of the University of Sussex in the UK.
They created the most detailed model to date of the Sun’s transition to a red giant, based on observations of six nearby red giant stars. Sure enough, they found that Earth’s orbit will widen at first. But Earth will also induce a “tidal bulge” on the Sun’s surface, with its own gravitational pull. The bulge will lag just behind the Earth in its orbit, slowing it down enough to drag it to a fiery demise.
There is one last hope for anybody still living on Earth, the researchers say. In the past, some have suggested that Earth’s orbit could be tweaked by arranging the fly-by of a nearby asteroid to tug at it. This method could potentially maintain Earth’s speed enough to keep it in a widening orbit, they say.

I believe this is how the earth will end