Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default [WAR VII]*Drawn Art Section*[WAR VII]

WAR VII DRAWN ART SECTION

Enter into the lair of Drawn Arts, where only those who have an art major in college can compete! Aren't in college yet? Too bad, go to some other section. In all seriousness, welcome everyone, and good luck in competing. Be sure to have fun, because a drawing isn't a drawing unless it has a little spirit. Let's start off with some basic rules for this section of the WAR.

Basic Rules

--Most importantly, there can be NO plagiarism. The drawing cannot be from another source. This means that you can't print a drawing from online on advance upon it. And no, you can't use a drawing from another source and cite it. Noone wants to get disqualified for laziness. :P

--Although you are allowed to draw by hand or by use of the computer, effects such as shading and coloring should be completed by hand.

--Similar to the past, you'll probably want to have your entries PM'd to me. You don't want to give an opposing team that idea that they need to beat you.

--Make sure you works are saved under .png, .jpg, or .gif.

--Any entry submitted after the deadline will be void. Please get your entries in on time, your hard work should not be wasted.

--Make sure your work is clean. There are children about. :/

Judging
The entires will be judged on the four basic categories below.

Creativity
Have new and fresh ideas. This is pretty self explanatory, and is sometimes one of the easiest categories to get some points in.
Maximum score: 8

Color and Shading
Sensible shadings and effects are important for gaining points in the section. For example, a ray of light casting toward an object should force the object to produce a shadow facing away from the light. It's impossible to have a shadow facing toward light. The use of color is also important for gaining points. Although this isn't always the case, entries with none or partial color may suggest a lack of effort.
Maximum score: 12

Skill
Neatness and practicality are essential in drawing. Pay attention to common aspects of drawing such as perspective. Most objects in the foreground aren't smaller than those in the background, unless it's intentional. You aren't given points in this category just for trying- you'll need to get the work down.
Maximum score: 12

Themes and Extras
The remaining aspects of your entry will be examined here, as well as your ability to connect the drawing to the designated theme. Here, I will find out why your drawing has strong points over others and what can be improved.

Total possible score: 40

Themes
Week 1- "The glory of bird pokemon"
Week 4- "Strength put to the test"
There are a couple requirements that will need to be in your drawing.
*The focal point(s) have to be pokemon.
*There must be two pokemon.

Records
[Week][Team][Representing Winners][Point Gain]
[Week 1][LOUD]RocketMeowth/Latias Rider[+3]
[Week 4]

Point Distribution
Very Easy

2 points for the team with the drawing that has the highest score.
1 point for the two runner up team.

Refer to me with any questions. This post will be updated.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 06-23-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 PM
~Falcon~ Offline

Send a message via AIM to ~Falcon~
Default Re: Risk

sent my entry
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Default Re: [WAR VII]*Drawn Art Section*[WAR VII]

Just a reminder, the deadline is June 4th, at 11 pm Central.

Send your entries via PM.

--Thanks Falcon.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Alright, that snaps the deadline. No more entries at this point.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

I was supposed to have your results up hours ago. Unfortunately, the forum lagged and I lost them to the depths of Pe2k. So now, I'm not going to make them as detailed, because after all that work I just don't feel like getting back into it. Also, if I appear blunt and harsh, it's because it's early in the mroning and I needed to do it now because I was unsure of whether or not I'd be here before the deadline tomorrow. No one likes to rush. Sorry for the inconvenience. There were only three entries, and two were from LOUD so... :S

Latias Rider
LOUD

Creativity-7/8
You people and putting bird pokemon in space. Or were they not in space but just really high up? I couldn't tell.

Color and Shading-11/12
Very good. You know that shading differs between distance of points in your drawing. Obviously, shading would be heavier in the area surrounding Swellow. I'm not question sure why the moon is blue, but it looks intentional.

Skill-10/12
Great use of 2D texture. I'm glad you made something of the feathers and fur, rather than just leaving them blank. Where's the rest of Swellow's body?

Theme and Extras-7/8
You matched the theme almost perfectly. Only thing is, the work looks empty and wanting.
Score:35/40

RocketMeowth
LOUD

Creativity-7/8
Another one with the 'mons in space 'eh? I think people must this as a way to describe "a flight toward the heavens". Not worth taking off a lot points, but quite a lot of people do it.

Color and Shading-11/12
Again, no shading needed, but the vibrant colors made up for it by waking me up, seeing as I did do this at 3:45 a.m. The yellow, particularly on Pidgey's speed trail, is very captivating.

Skill-9/12
The bottom portion of Staraptor's wing should not look the same as it's top portion. I only say this because you showed nice detail with Pidgey's wings, but not with so much with Staraptor's. Other than that, you did well here.

Themes and Extras-7/8
Again, napped the theme just about perfectly. I'd just want a tiny pinch more detail on places such as Staraptor's wing and even the land portion of Earth. Doesn't even have to be overexaggerated. More detail is always better though.
Score:34/40

~Falcon~
The Underdog Alliance

Creativity-7/8
Well you didn't compose something with your pokemon flying off into space, which is good because it's original :P. Even with Pidgey in a basic background, it's always just good to not follow cliche'.

Color and Shading-10/12
I'm having a hard time telling, but it looks like you painted with watercolors. Whether you did or didn't, we've got to stay inside the lines, very important.

Skill-10/12
It was all fine until I noticed that the black polygonal shaped figures on Pidgey's cheek were deformed in a way. They're long, and ride down the connection between the tan feathers and the brown feathers. It almost looks like a moustache here.

Theme and Extras-6/8
The theme was "The glory of bird pokemon." Well, you got the bird part down but where's the glory? I just see a Pidgey chillin' out in front of a tree, which doesn't display how glorious or majestic bird pokemon can be.
Score:33/40

I added up the scores and figured that all three scores were right down the line. ._.

Latias Rider- 1st place + 2 points for team.
RocketMeowth 2nd place + 1 point for team.

PM me with any questions. See you all in Week Four.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Just to let you know, Silver, It's not outer space, just a dark night.

The moon's blue because I thought it would balance out with the birds a bit better.

I knew this part would need explaining. See the blurring between the Taillow and Swellow?
Well, That's how the Taillow is evolving. It's merging into the Swellow. (Hence the title)

I left the space around the outside so it would draw more attention to the birds. So the birds balance asymmetrically with the moon, and the space around them also create harmony within the image.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's okay. It's just a lot of art terminology. =P

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latias_Rider View Post
Just to let you know, Silver, It's not outer space, just a dark night.

The moon's blue because I thought it would balance out with the birds a bit better.

I knew this part would need explaining. See the blurring between the Taillow and Swellow?
Well, That's how the Taillow is evolving. It's merging into the Swellow. (Hence the title)

I left the space around the outside so it would draw more attention to the birds. So the birds balance asymmetrically with the moon, and the space around them also create harmony within the image.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's okay. It's just a lot of art terminology. =P
Only art terminology I see there is "asymmetrical". :P

I had no clue, but I don't think it would matter if I increased your score, seeing as you were in first anyway.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
Only art terminology I see there is "asymmetrical". :P

I had no clue, but I don't think it would matter if I increased your score, seeing as you were in first anyway.
I wasn't meaning for you to increase my score at all, unless you want to.

And fyi, balance and harmony are included in the principles of design. XP

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latias_Rider View Post
I wasn't meaning for you to increase my score at all, unless you want to.

And fyi, balance and harmony are included in the principles of design. XP
Well your balance and harmony didn't seem to appeal that well which is why you lost some points. So yeah, I'm familiar with basic art terminologyor else I wouldn't be grading this. :P

However, we we cannot continue to post here until WAR Week 4, or it may be considered SPAM. Points were added, so see ya in four weeks.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Week 4's theme is posted- remember to look at the two requirements.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Reminder, entries are due by June 29th.

EDIT: Wrong, entries were due today(Friday) because the results are posted Saturdaty, so the deadline has been reached.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 06-28-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Apologies for being so late. My scheduled was mixed up so I tried to do these as quickly as I could. Again, only two entries, so the teams already get points. :P

EmBreon
TUA

Creativity
I liked how you did it with paint, because most people just draw it. Well, you know, it is Drawn Art, but it's always nice to be original and different.
Score:8

Color and Shading
Well, one of the only things I could complaing about is that fact that Machoke is purple. If it's you're own perception, that's fine, which I why I'm not deducting much for it. I'd just like it if we could stick to the norms. Other than that, you did very well on the background, mainly the fire. When you use paint on these kind of settings, it gives you a kind of texture that you just can't get with normal colored pencils, markers, or even pastels. Well, not so much pastels. :P Well done.

EDIT: Thanks for clearing the Machoke thing up.
Score: 12

Skill
This goes back to what I just said. Again, you did awesome in the background and matched the main features of the pokemon well. Example, I liked how the Jigglypuffs were actually round. Yeah, it sounds wired, but my friends draw pokemon and show me Electrode that look like rectangular PokeBalls. The machoke could lose a little work though, I'd suggest outlining. Again, great work.
Score: 11

Themes and Extras
You did great-matched the theme and all. Although I didn't know what the dots were for, I just love how you made it seem as though Machoke lifted the heavyweights with ease while the little tiny Jigglypuffs were having trouble with the little stuff. That was a great way of snatching the theme. You did great, especially for using paint. 'Nuff said.
Score: 7
Final Score: 38-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latias Rider
LOUD

Creativity
This was pretty nice, you got this one pretty down pat.

Color and Shading
Excellent. Everything matched the original color values, shading was great in places like Elekid's head. You did great here, that's all I can say. I'd just like it if the setting was a bit more colored-beside the boulders.
Score: 10

Skill
It was really nice and neat. You didn't skip outside the lines anywhere as far as I can tell. That may seem a bit nitpicky, but try getting an art scholarship. You need to show your work, and when colors are out of the lines, it shows that you just aren't focusing. But you focused well here.
Score: 12

Themes and Extras
You got the theme perfectly as well. You showed that that Torchic and Pikachu were dependent on Elekid's ability to save them from being smashed into oblivion. I also liked the little additions to the Pikachu, pretty cute. I wish you could've done a little more with Pikachu and Torchic though, maybe have them try to help or something-just seemed a little empty that they were just scared. Well done as always.
Score: 7
Total: 37
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latias Rider gets 1 points for LOUD
EmBreon gets 2 point for TUA.

PM me or message if changes should be made.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 06-30-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Sigma_ Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sigma_

That Jigglypuff pulling up that weight is pure pwn and dare I say...Cute. ^_^
Closed Thread