Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Third Generation

Third Generation Discuss the third generation Pokemon games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia
Default Diary of a First Time Trainer

Hey hey, thought I'd start some kind of discussion bout this, for all the trainers who've actually trained pokemon for competitive battling friends and family.

Since Emerald, which I purchased a month ago, is my first Pokemon game IRL (*cough*), I felt like I severely underestimated the pain of being a cart user.

After all, Emerald had all these neat features for easier breeding and whatnot (Personality passing... *drool*), and yet, here I am, 60 hours into the game, and just ready to start training.

Since I do extensive reading into each game (mechanics and whatnot), I more or less knew what I was getting into. As such, I ran through the plot part of the game with a Linoone and a Sceptile (And 4 more in tow). Sceptile quickly lost use after the first thumping of the Elites, while Linoone was at a nice Lv73, enough for Candies, but not good enough yet.

For a whole week, I did nothing in the game except Linoone Training. For all that effort, I have now one Lv 63, two Lv 70s, two Lv 80s and a Lv 91 Linoone, enough for all the TMs I want via Pickup.

And then hell began.

Breeding. While GSC breeding was moderately simple (Find a DV 15 Def Ditto which had either 15 or 7 as its special DV, and you're more or less set, kinda...), RS breeding seemed to be very spotty in terms of data. The only real data I gathered was that parents will pass 3 IVs to the offspring, randomly. This meant that it could be mom 3, dad 3, mom2+dad1 or mom1+dad2. Oh hell. The IVs weren't even set. Mom could either pass that 31IV attack, or that 0IV defense.

So, ditto hunting. I feel sorry for RS users, since Emerald had DITTO, and after catching around 50 Dittos, I've got at least 1 Ditto with a 31IV in each given stat. (Proud accomplishment: 2 Jolly Dittos with 31 Atk IV. mmmm....) Oh, and I've got 3 Metal powders too O_o.

Ok, now I'm ready to breed! I chose Doduo as my first target. I wanted to try that Subflail Dodrio as a sweeper, and it's a pretty leet bird too. Doduo hunting was... not simple, since they were all at the SAFARI.

Thousands of dollars later, I amassed around 10 Doduos. To my extreme delight, I managed to luck out on an Adamant Doduo with a 31 IV in speed. Though seeing as I wanted Jolly, the Adamant part wasn't so important after all.

I was almost set to breed, until I realized I forgot two things:
Slugma
Everstones.

Off I went with Linoones, coveting every rock I saw (Geodude/Graveler). I went through a stretch of more than half hour without seeing either pokemon... but I eventually got one. Got another one off the Dewford cave, in a place I didn't see until I flashed =O

Slugma was pretty simple, so not important >=(

So, Doduo and Ditto went to bed together. About 3 hours later, I'm still riding back and forth between Veneturf (sp...?) and Mauville, with a Slug and five eggs in my pocket.

Score! I finally got a Decent Doduo! Lucky enough, the random generation of IVs gave it a 31 in spDef, and since it got the 15 in speed as well, and is jolly, it replaced the adamant monther in the daycare, and took the second everstone.

Bout an hour later, I got another Doduo, this time with 31 in attack and speed! Out goes ditto, in goes doduo with everstone.

And now I'm patiently waiting... If only that freaking doduo didn't have a 0 in HP, I'd actually use it for the atk/speed.

And this, my friends, is only the first pokemon... Oh the horror.

Feel free to share your horror stories and experiences about breeding and training the perfect team here.

(And I haven't even started EVing the doduo... gawd)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Guilder Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Guilder
Default Re: Diary of a First Time Trainer

Well, I really don't use strategy in the games. I always train my starter to lvl. 60, my second poké to lvl. 50 and then I have a few more around level 30 when I beat the E4. Basically, beatdown.

I don't have the patience to keep on breeding and training in the games, especially not as extensive as you do. I'm proud to finally be training a well-rounded team of 4 pokémon around the same (reasonably high) level.

Sage
level 25 @ 87. level 50 @ 162
Old 06-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Nemesis Offline
Master Trainer

What does Slugma do for breading?

Well... ...I'm getting ready to catch about 60 dittos... ...though right now I'm working on breeding a koffing with 30+ defence ivs (I'll settle for 30 because I'm somewhat lazy and that one point really doesn't make to much of a difference)... ...and I really wish I had emerald for nature passing, but I don't so I have to bread hundreds of eggs before the apropriate ivs are passed (no seriosly; hundreds I bread at the very least 250 bagon before settling for one with 17, 30, 18, 30, 1, 3... ...after all of that work, and unfortunatly for me its attack and speed aren't even max >_<)... ...and soon I will train another Ursaring dew to the fact mine is a brave one with 30 (why always 30 instead of 31?) speed ivs and I have no idea how many attack ivs (I thought I gave it 200 attack ivs, but at level 100, which it is at now, it has 382 attack... ...and if I gave it the remaining 52 attack ivs which would add a total of 13 to its attack power, it would have 295 attack power, which is exactly one above the maximum attack for a max iv max ev level 100 Ursaring, so in other words my memory is wrong) and since it is over all faster than its zero speed iv adamant counterpart I decided to train it, though recently I remembered that I can breed it ad hope it passes down its attack and speed... ...worst of all IMO is the fact that once my team is complete the only reward I get is having an awsome team, ie I don't have anybody to play with it... ...over all when I get a nice ditto most of my troubles though will hopefully be over, well all I'd have to do is run back and fourth and hope I get a good nature and the proper ivs where passed down... ...though the only team of mine I will be doing this with would be my OU team and my Ursaring (not worth doing for a UU, or semi OU team IMO, since if there is a tournament or something I'd obviosly use my OU team over my UU team, and anyway an OU team is just, well, has higher expectations, and therefore I'm much more compelled to meat them... ...and Ursaring is my favorite pokemon so I'll do that with him...)... ...later I'll continue my babbling...

uhh... ...Mlugia do you have a link to a web site that says all the breeding mechanics, etc...?

Thank you, Daniella Defines Divinity, for this banner.

Come not between the Nazgűl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. But bear thee away to the houses of lamantation, beyond all darkness, where thy flest shal be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked before the Lidless Eye!

-Witch King

Practice makes perfect but since nobody is perfect, why practice?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:59 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Well, I read mine from pokefor.greenchu.de/meowth346/gba , and uh, yeah =/

Luckily for the Nature passing, and some decent luck, I've found roughly 60% of my eggs end up with the right natures, and half of them not having Run away as the ability ._.

Right now I'm getting greedy, having a Doduo with 31 in atk and speed, but I'm breeding for more because its Defense is in the single digits, and HP is only mid-pack around 15-18ish. (But it has 31 special atk! w00t!)
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Nemesis Offline
Master Trainer

currently I'm going ditto hunting (lol, I found ones at level 67 in currilean cave), and am going to repeatedly bread to get as many maxed ivs (I'm not settling for 30 anymore) as possible on one ditto (I already have one with 31 attack ivs, and am beggining to search the 35 I cought for one with max speed...)... ...hopefully I will be able to buy emerald soon (when I found out about the having to walf half the steps if you have a pokemon with flame body/ magma armor on your team I began drooling while thinking how much time it would save)... ...I'm probably later going to train a new Salamence later that actually has max attack and speed (though the one I have now has decent ivs, the crappy sp def doesn't matter since its not like it is going to be taking to many ice beams anyway... ...and it doesn't have any attacks that run off special either...)...

Thank you, Daniella Defines Divinity, for this banner.

Come not between the Nazgűl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. But bear thee away to the houses of lamantation, beyond all darkness, where thy flest shal be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked before the Lidless Eye!

-Witch King

Practice makes perfect but since nobody is perfect, why practice?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Heh, since you have an AR, you could always use a fast Hatch code. From what I've tested, it makes the game think you took 256 steps per step you take, so Doduo + Magma body = 11 steps (5160/2/256 round up)

It's so awesome, that I kept getting eggs from the old man with it (since the checker for egg is more often because I take so many ******* steps).

But IMHO, the best aspect is still perso breeding, and the Battle Frontier Breeder, who tells you IVs of your pokemon.

On a related note, I've got now a Doduo with moderately high HP and max atk/speed. Defense is ok too, but spD blows hard. Should I keep trying?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 AM
fogogrego Offline
New Trainer

i know some about breeding and the hole extra points thing

what dose iv stand for

what dose dv stand for

like when you say max 31, do you mean like if you look at the summary, the stat will be at 31 when it haches?

also what dose slugma do?

thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 AM
fogogrego Offline
New Trainer

sorry to post again, but i was checking out the link you gave, and they have the iv calculator

what are the ability and effortlv, it shows 2 stat spots for each attribute, EX

attack etc
ability/effortlv

what are you supposed to put in each slot?

and when you hit calculate, how come it shows multiple numbers for each thing? like for defense on my ghastly it shows 0,1,2,3,4 so which one is it.

sorry to ask so many questions.

thanks for the help
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Well, next time you post, you may notice there's a little "edit" button under each post, try to utilize that as opposed to posting two consecutive posts please. (It seems to be frowned on at this forum)

Now, onto the questions...

Quote:
what are the ability and effortlv, it shows 2 stat spots for each attribute, EX

attack etc
ability/effortlv

what are you supposed to put in each slot?
Level is self explanatory.
Attack is the actual attack stat of that pokemon. Eg. my Doduo has a 15 in attack at Lv 5.
Ability/Effort Level is how many EVs it has in that stat, divided by 4, rounding down. Basically how many extra points it will have at Lv 100. (EVs adjust your stats, it's the equiv of stat experience in GSC)

Quote:
and when you hit calculate, how come it shows multiple numbers for each thing? like for defense on my ghastly it shows 0,1,2,3,4 so which one is it.
It means your level is too low to check conclusively. But based on that stat, its best estimate is that range. This will happen all the way till you reach around Lv 50, where the IVs would be more apparent. However, your Gastly has horrible defense IVs :p

Quote:
i know some about breeding and the hole extra points thing

what dose iv stand for
IV is Individual Values, and can take anywhere from 0-31 per stat. It's basically the gene of your pokemon in each stat. At 31 attack with 252 EVs in attack trained, a Mew will attain 299 attack. However, for each IV you decrease, its max attack goes down by 1 as well. eg: with a 30 attack IV, Mew's max attack can only go to 298, and so forth. The higher the IV, the better. Side note, it can also affect the type and power of Hidden power on a pokemon, but if this is in-game, it's more or less pointless, b/c HP is almost impossible to attain, at least one that is ideal.

Quote:
what dose dv stand for
Same as IV, but that was the term used in RBYGSC (Deter Values), and they go up to 15 instead of 31, and each DV controls 2 max stat points as opposed to 1.

Quote:
like when you say max 31, do you mean like if you look at the summary, the stat will be at 31 when it haches?
No, it'd reflect the pokemon's attack stat with a hidden gene of 31. My Doduo, with 31 attack IV, has 15 in attack at Lv 5. However, with a 0, I believe its attack is 13. (But at Lv 100, the difference will become 31 points)

Quote:
also what dose slugma do?
Magma Armor/Flame body halves the hatching time of eggs, provided a pokemon with either of the abilities is in your party with the egg. However, this trait is not stackable, so you can't have one of each and expect 1/4 hatch time.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 PM
fogogrego Offline
New Trainer

thanks that helps alot, now do you use the iv calc on pokemon forever? i just wonder what you supposed to put in the 2 spots,

are you supposed to put the current stat number (like the one listed when you hit summary of the pokemon) under the ability stat?

but the effort lv, if you can see the effort points how can you put them in, i just want to make sure im using it right.

ya i know that gastly have low def, but according to the iv calc it has 31 for special attack and speed, and he has a modest nature so i think hes a keeper.
(is it possible to get 31 iv in all of the 6 attributes?)
good to know about the slugma thing time savin stuff is sweet.

thanks lol found the edit button