Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
*Shrugs* Honestly enough, there isn't enough FOR ME (that means that no, I don't want to read lists of facts on either side) to make a thorough decision. And hey, who says that God didn't create the Big Bang? Yeah, I know, I read the Bible, but it's been translated (which leaves room for interpretation. Look at the one thread in OC about Babelfish) and it's so open it could mean tons of things.

But honestly, my view is this ...

I don't think that the matter is something of importance. Sure, people who are atheists will refute that science is right and religious matters will say that it's the work of a Divine Power (being general here). But why try to even figure it out?

As a whole, religion points to treating others nicely and being a good person. And yes, I realize that there are nuts out there who try to shove their views down people's throats and whatnot, and other such annoyances, but for every one of those there is some atheist or scientist trying to do the same (but proving their own beliefs).

So really, if religion is all about being nice and whatnot (again, in general), why is it a bad thing that needs to be disproved? Heaven knows (hah! a pun of sorts) that we need decent people here, and some people have actually reformed thanks to a newfound belief.

And so, to answer the question of the thread topic ... It. Doesn't. Matter. :D.

Just as long as people are good and honest.

There you go, an easy read. No odd facts, just an opinion and a belief that people should be nice to each other (*Gasp*).
Science is about advancement Scott, saying it doesn't matter is to deny all scientists all over the world, to claim that their motivation (money aside, but that usually sucks,) is nothing at all.

Knowing matters for humans, which is why they trash things out.

Which is why O:D exists. I mean, when you are comparing Religion to Science, there will be those who refuse to even listen to the other side, and the likelihood of actually converting everyone is next to nothing, but it will come up again sooner or later, because humans are screwed up like that.

I mean, I have nothing against telling people to be nice, but when telling people to be nice is lumped together with rock-set doctrine that denies fact, we have a problem.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
*Shrugs* Honestly enough, there isn't enough FOR ME (that means that no, I don't want to read lists of facts on either side) to make a thorough decision. And hey, who says that God didn't create the Big Bang? Yeah, I know, I read the Bible, but it's been translated (which leaves room for interpretation. Look at the one thread in OC about Babelfish) and it's so open it could mean tons of things.

But honestly, my view is this ...

I don't think that the matter is something of importance. Sure, people who are atheists will refute that science is right and religious matters will say that it's the work of a Divine Power (being general here). But why try to even figure it out?

As a whole, religion points to treating others nicely and being a good person. And yes, I realize that there are nuts out there who try to shove their views down people's throats and whatnot, and other such annoyances, but for every one of those there is some atheist or scientist trying to do the same (but proving their own beliefs).

So really, if religion is all about being nice and whatnot (again, in general), why is it a bad thing that needs to be disproved? Heaven knows (hah! a pun of sorts) that we need decent people here, and some people have actually reformed thanks to a newfound belief.

And so, to answer the question of the thread topic ... It. Doesn't. Matter. :D.

Just as long as people are good and honest.

There you go, an easy read. No odd facts, just an opinion and a belief that people should be nice to each other (*Gasp*).
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

Evolution is an important fact science in biology has to take into account. This is how we make flu vaccines every year. This is how cancer exists. This is how HIV is a powerful virus. This is how we can cause speciation. By saying that "it doesn't matter" is the same thing as denying all of those facts above. I don't mind people having religion, even if it is different from mine. But note that I defend science not for the sake of being different or "athetist" or anything of that sort: it is simply to educate. And I do believe that education IS important, no? That is, my view point is that one CAN take any stance as long as it includes evolution (either they believe in creationism and accept evolution, or just accept evolution in itself). As soon as they cross the line and stop accepting evolution, it's our job as scientists to show them the truths that we know.

As for this whole "disproving religion" thing: science does not, nor will it ever, attempt to disprove a religion. I don't even know where you got that idea from to begin with.

Fun fact: most scientists make less than a high school teacher a year. Money my butt. :3

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 02-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.