Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
_1337_ Offline

Default How to build a 1337 team! [Competitive Team Building]

!!!1337 TEAMZ!!!

Are you new to competitive battling? Maybe you think that beating the game and having a level 100 Charizard makes you invincible. WRONG! Good thing uncle 1337 is here to give you a hand...

Table of Contents
1. EV Training [Shortcut "EVT"]
2. IV Breeding [Shortcut "IVB"]
3. Making the Team [Shortcut "MTT"]
a. Sweepers
b. Walls
c. Tanks
d. Hazers
e. Spinners
4. Prediction [Shortcut "ANTI-NOOB"]

EV Training
["EVT"]
To start things off, you'll never get anywhere in the battling world without EV Trained Pokemn. "But 1337, WHAT THE HELL ARE EVS?!?!?" EVs, or Effort Values, are how you can control which stats your Pokemon will excell in. People always make EVs too hard to understand, so here is a very simple, yet effective, summary of it.
First, you have your little baby pokemon that has never fought in a battle before. This makes it "untouched", meaning it has zero EVs on it. Say you have an Infernape. The stats that you want to be the strongest on it will probably be its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. To do this, you must fight other Pokemon that have high attack, high special attack, or high speed. Here are the best Pokemon to fight for each EV:

Hit Points: Bidoof
Attack: Bibarel
Defense: Geodude
Special Attack: Ghastly
Special Defense: Tentacool/Tentacruel
Speed: Magikarp

Don't want to fight in the wild? Here are some Vs. Seeker Opponents to get your EVs done quickly:

HP:
Route 209 - Cowgirl Shelley - L14, 15, 15, 15, and 16 Bidoof

Attack:
Route 203 - Lass Madeline (upper area) - L38 Staraptor, L38 Bibarel
Route 213 - SwimmerM Sheltin - L30, 29, and 31 Gyarados

Defense:
Route 210 (tall grass area) - Ninja Boy Fabian (middle) - L23, 23, and 26 Geodude
Route 212 (rain area) - Collector Dominique - L17, 18, and 19 Geodude

Special Attack:
Route 212 (rain area) - Scientist Shaun (need Cut) - L53 and 53 Alakazam
Route 214 - Collector Douglas (south end of split paths) - L20, 22, and 24 Roselia

Special Defense:
Route 210 (foggy section) - Ninja Boy Davido (upper level) - L27 Dustox

Speed:
Route 205 (water bridge section) - Fisherman Andrew (second from right) - L10, 10, 10, 10, 10, and 10 Magikarp

Now that you know who to fight, here come the rules:
  1. A Pokemon may only gain 255 EVs in a single stat. Only 510 total EVs may be used.
  2. A Pokemon gains one stat point for every 4 EVs. This means 2 EV Points out of the 510 total will not be used.
  3. Because 255 is not divisible by 4, it is wise to train only 252 EVs in a single stat. This allows you to max out two and leaves 4 extra EVs to be used in a different stat. It may not be much, but every detail matters.
Now for the tips. Ever wondered what those HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, and Carbos do? They give you 10 Effort Values in each stat. HP Up give 10 EVs in Hit Points, Protein gives 10 EVs in Attack, Iron gives 10 EVs in Defense, Calcium gives 10 EVs in Special Attack, Zinc gives 10 EVs in Special Defense, and Carbos gives 10 EVs in Speed. Heres the catch: they only work up to 100 EVs. This means you can only give a Pokemon 10 of these for one stat. If you are at 91 EVs or higher, they will not work anymore. Heed my warning, before you do any training, use the Vitamins for the stats you will be training it. This will cut your training time in half.

More tips! After you give your Pokemon their vitamins, there are special items you can give your Pokemon to hold to gain an additional 4 EVs to a certain stat. Here they are:
Power Weight - 4 EVs added on for Hit Points per defeated Pokemon.
Power Bracer - 4 EVs added on for Attack per defeated Pokemon.
Power Belt - 4 EVs added on for Defense per defeated Pokemon.
Power Lens - 4 EVs added on for Special Attak per defeated Pokemon.
Power Band - 4 EVs added on for Special Defense per defeated Pokemon.
Power Anklet - 4 EVs added on for Speed per defeated Pokemon.

To double the number of EVs you get per defeated Pokemon, you can infect your Pokemon with Pokerus. It is very difficult to this disease, so I would go into the trading center and ask for a Pokemon with Pokerus. If you already have a Pokemon infected, the rest is easy.
Step one, put the Pokemon with Pokerus first in your party, and the one you want infected second.
Step two, simply go around beating any kind of Pokemon; Bidoofs and Starlys are easiest as they go down with about one hit.
Step three, after you battle about three Pokemon, check your party. Continue battling until the Pokemon to be trained has Pokerus.

What if you accidentally put the wrong EVs on one Pokemon? Well, to get rid of EVs, you can use EV reducing berries. Here they are:
Pomeg: -10 Hit Points EVs
Kelpsy: -10 Attack EVs
Qualot: -10 Defense EVs
Hondew: -10 Special Attack EVs
Grepa: -10 Special Defense EVs
Tamato: -10 Speed EVs

These allow you to start with a clean slate all over again.

Well that concludes the EV section of this guide. If you have any questions feel free to post here or PM me. Thanks! For an even more in-depth EV Training guide, check out tracctid's guide!

IV Breeding
["IVB"]
Here is where things get complicated... I am sure many of you knew already about EVs, but there are much more confused Pokemon players concerning the concept of Individual Values, or IVs. Since I can't make a better guide than this one, I won't waste my time nor yours.
Smogon Breeding Guide!

Continued on second post...

Last edited by _1337_; 11-11-2007 at 05:36 PM.
_1337_ Offline

Default Re: How to build a 1337 team! [Competitive Team Building]

Making The Team
["MTT"]
Here is where the fun begins. I will be covering the team building aspects of Over Used (OU for short) Pokemon. To see which these are, go here. First let me say this: It is often common for a new player to have a set like this for his amazing Shiny Charizard:
Blast Burn
Flamethrower
Fire Spin
Fly
While you think this will own, it will not. Having more than one move of the same type is really not a good idea.

A. Sweepers!

A Sweeper is a Pokemon that is fast, strong in either Special Attack or Attack, and has a good move pool. As just noted, the sweepers can either be Special Sweepers or Physical Sweepers. We'll start off with the Special Sweepers in OU: Alakazam, Azelf, Gengar, Heatran, Jolteon, Porygon-Z, Raikou, Salamence, Starmie, and Yanmega.

Alakazam - Just from looking at its stats you know it is a Sweeper. 135 base Special Attack ties for the highest in OU. Its movepool has gone down a bit, but it still gained two new toys with Choice Specs and Trick.
{Choice Specs - An item that boosts a Pokemon's Special Attack by x 1.5, but leaving it with only one move}
Alakazam is often walled by Pokemon such as Blissey, but with Trick it will be stuck with only ONE MOVE whilst having a rather unhelpful Special Attack boost. For the rest of its movepool, it learns Grass Knot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast along with the moves Calm Mind and Recover. The Ghost + Fighting type moves (Shadow Ball and Focus Blast) are resisted by nothing in the game, so using those two you'll put a chunk in anyones Hit Points!

Azelf - Azelf is a new Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl, equipped with a few new moves as well. The most important one being Nasty Plot. With a Timid nature it outruns nearly all Pokemon in OU, and after a Nasty Plot it'll have about 700 Special Attack. Even more gamebreaking is its move Explosion, so when Blissey (A Special Wall) thinks it can switch in and sponge Azelf, it gets blown up. Its moveset includes Psychic for STAB, Flamethrower for type coverage, Explosion, Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, and U-Turn.
{STAB = Same Type Attack Boost. If you use an attack that corresponds with the user's type, it gets a x 1.5 boost in power.}

Gengar - Ah, Gengar... One of the most OU Special Sweepers in the game, and with good reason. It recieves a two great STAB moves in Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Explosion, Energy Ball, Destiny Bond, and Focus Punch to combat Blissey. Plus it has 130 Special Attack coupled with 110 Speed... It has plenty of options.

Heatran - To cover Heatran quickly, it has enormous Special Attack, great typing, an amazing ability that is unaffected by Fire, and plenty of great moves. Throw a Choice Scarf on it and it will Sweep Teams. Its move pool includes Dark Pulse, Overheat, Flamethrower, Explosion, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Dragon Pulse, Sunny Day, and Solarbeam.
{Choice Scarf is an item that boosts your speed by x 1.5 but limits you to only one move.}

Jolteon - Jolteon plays two roles: Special Sweeper and a Baton Passer. A Baton Passer is a Pokemon that can use the move Baton Pass to pass stat increases to another Pokemon in your party. It shares the spot for the fastest Pokemon in OU with Aerodactyl, and it has 110 Special Attack to boot.

Porygon-Z - Porygon-Z is an example of a Pokemon with ridiculous attack stats, great moves, but mediocre speed. What do we do with Pokemon like this? Give them a Choice Scarf! Porygon-Z's move pool includes a STAB'd Tri-Attack, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Nasty Plot, and Agility. And 135 Special Attack. All I can say is this: PORYGON-Z = 1337!!!!!!!1!!

Raikou - Raikou has a slightly different purpose than other Special Sweepers; it is a Calm Mind Subber. This means that it uses the moves Calm Mind and Substitute (duh) to increase its stats incredibly. With the boosts along with its great Speed, Raikou can sweep teams with ease.

Salamence - Two additions to Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl make Salamence a deadly Special Sweeper: Draco Meteor and Choice Specs. With the two, it can unleash a 140 BP Move that gets STAB to make it 210 BP and with Choice Specs it will leave a dent in EVERYTHING. Main moves: Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse. Salamence has the highest Special Attack of any Dragon Pokemon, making it the best for the job. Just add the Choice Specs and watch the fireworks go boom...

Starmie - You will see Starmie alot throughout your wifi adventures. It is a great Pokemon too; it gets Rapid Spin (A great move to get rid of Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock), Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and STAB's Psychic and Surf. Starmie is a great rapid spinner since it can switch in on Toxic Spikes to spin them away, and Natural Cure heals the Poison on the switch out. Plus Starmie is very, very fast.

Yanmega - Yanmega, one of the most potent Pokemon in the game. Its speed gets increased by x 1.5 each turn, and it has 116 Special Attack to back it up. It also gets access to Hypnosis and two great STAB moves with Air Slash and Bug Buzz, the former 2HKOing Cresselia. If it can also get a good Hidden Power, it can be even deadlier.

Last edited by _1337_; 11-08-2007 at 05:23 AM.
_1337_ Offline

Reserved.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 AM
_1337_ Offline

One more reserved just in case.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 AM
cyl3x Offline
Master Trainer

A Pokemon may only gain 252 EVs in a single stat and only 510 total EVs.

Just so you know, It can gain 255 Evs in each stat, but it isn't divisible by 4, so 252 is required for max stat.

Call me Cylex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grievous is king View Post
That was my point erlier, do not realy on blissey to take out physical sweepers, use a skagmory insted.
SKAGMORY!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Blaziken Fan Offline
Experienced Trainer

Good guide so far. Can't wait to read the rest.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:36 PM
_1337_ Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyl3x View Post
A Pokemon may only gain 252 EVs in a single stat and only 510 total EVs.

Just so you know, It can gain 255 Evs in each stat, but it isn't divisible by 4, so 252 is required for max stat.
>.< Thanks a bunch man! I fixed it and made it as understandable as possible..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziken Fan View Post
Good guide so far. Can't wait to read the rest.
Thanks! I love the compliments man!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Hyper Blaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

If you have 91 in a stat, and usu the Vitiman, it will go up to 100. And also, if you have 101 or more EV's in a stat, 1 berry will make it go down to 100, an than the rest go by 10.

Credit to Scyperior for the banner and avvie.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 AM
_1337_ Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Blaze View Post
If you have 91 in a stat, and usu the Vitiman, it will go up to 100. And also, if you have 101 or more EV's in a stat, 1 berry will make it go down to 100, an than the rest go by 10.
Can I see where you found that out?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
chadi Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1337_ View Post
Can I see where you found that out?
It works, I tested it. I took my EV'ed Garchomp with 252 Atk EV's, used 2 Atk lowering berries, then used a Protein, and Atk was boosted. In other words, the first brought it down to 100, the next to 90, thus allowing Protein to be used.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Azurite Offline
Experienced Trainer

I approve of this thread. It is awesome.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

This guide's good... but don't we already have stuff like it?

Anyway, nice going on the training spots and things. I'm sure I've read most of them on GFAQs tho.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:06 PM
skate4242 Offline
Banned

I have these pokemon in my team please tell me what changes i need(only 1337)

Metagross
Umbreon
Garchomp
Porygon-Z
Shuckle
T-tar/roserade

I ev'd them all but i need some help. please help me
Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Jet226 Offline
Master Trainer

Hmm...this is good ^-^
Mind if I PM you my future team?
So I could get it rated the 1337 way?
lol
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
16BitAlex Offline
Experienced Trainer

It's better to train for Special Attack by fighting the Golducks surfing in the Resort Area's pond, but then again they're very high-leveled and require the National Dex to get to the area.