Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Bioshock vs. Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO
Quote:
Halo 3 is not as good as Bioshock anyway

Halo 3 is as good as bioshock. Im sick and tired of hearing people trying to crown Bio shock the "halo killer".

Halo 3 rating on Gamespot.com is a 9.5.

The Good: Satisfying storyline that simultaneously provides closure while making you wonder what will happen next Four-player online co-op is a lot of fun Forge mode map editor lets you do some extremely crazy and unexpected things Web integration makes sharing new maps and custom modes easy.

The Bad: Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours) Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

Bioshock rating on Gamespot.com is a 9.0.

The Good: Absolutely amazing atmosphere and visual design Lots of character customization options to play around with Great voice cast really sells the storyline.

The Bad: Suffers from some fairly nasty technical issues on some PCs, up to and including a total lack of in-game audio Lack of death penalty keeps things fun, but also keeps things a little too easy.

Let me check IGN.com to see what they say. This is what one of their reviewers say:

There is no cliffhanger ending that will have you screaming at your television, no doubting that this is Chief's tale and everyone else is along for the ride, and no question that it is a worthy conclusion to the most successful trilogy in videogame history. But just like that girl you dated in college, Halo 3 has some issues. Don't' worry; the good far outweighs the bad. This is Halo 3, and it is indeed the game you've been waiting for the past three years.

Full rating from IGN:

10 Presentation
An amazing replay editor, four-player online co-op, map editor, and community support make this the most robust feature set ever in a videogame.
9.0 Graphics
Despite a few moments of slowdown, this is a gorgeous game, especially considering the demands of the replay function. And it's to die for in 1080p.
10 Sound
This is the reason God created Surround Sound. Halo's theme is a futuristic anthem that inspires the troops. The chatter during combat is fantastic.
9.0 Gameplay
There are a few questionable design choices in the campaign, but this series remains the most fun first-person shooter on the planet. Multiplayer and the Forge are fantastic.
10 Lasting Appeal
The campaign won't take you long to complete, but this is a game that can be played for years. There are so many things to do, and it's so much fun to do them.

And wow, Bioshock comes out on top at IGN with a 9.7.

10 Presentation
An intriguing, well-written story delivered with at a precise sense of pace. It doesn't get any better than this.
9.5 Graphics
It may not be as technically impressive as Gears of War, but the art style, animations, and special effects create an unparalleled sense of mood and believability.
10 Sound
Top-notch voice acting, spectacular ambient effects, and overall some of the best sound design ever built into a game.
9.5 Gameplay
Superb control, intelligent enemies, and a wildly entertaining mix of weapons and plasmids.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
A lengthy adventure, 20 hours or so if you don't rush it, yet there's enough variation in the gameplay to bring you back for another round.

I would say they are about even. I just get annoyed at you Bioshock fanboys that feel it required of you to bash Halo When I being a Halo 3 fanboy never have bashed Bioshock.

Although to me BioShock looks almost too much(storyline wise) like the FarCry games did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamer Marco
Well, one of the major reasons why Bioshock is generally better percived better is because of a few reasons, that are justifiable, but easily countered.

-Despite it having multiplayer, what Bioshock does in the single-player campaign is signifigantly better than Halo 3's campaign.

-Bioshock blurs the line a bit between FPS and RPG genres.

-It isn't a trilogy, and doesn't truly have the backing and support of a multi-billion dollar company we all know as Microsoft.

If you want to put it as plainly as possible, Bioshock had more quality, where Halo 3 had more quantity with the multiplayer aspect.

Don't get me wrong, they're both awesome games, but there are others that will be better than both of them.

GTA
MGS
Crysis
COD4
Mass Effect

And...Orange Box has five games for 60 bucks... you can't beat that. Also, I hope none of you have forgotten Assassin's Creed. :P
Quote:
The reason I like Halo's story line more then Bioshocks is because Bioshocks takes place in one place and one place only, in a big city underwater, cool. Thats it though. Halo 3 on the other hand gives you many different environments to play in, and a huge variety of beautiful mountains on the horizon and huge giant parts of the Ark construct your on that you can see going for thousands of miles.

Bioshock is fine, don't hate it. But just because Halo doesn't throw all its details in your face for the story doesn't make it less in depth. It has many many little hidden things that bungie has put in it that you would probably be suprised. All of the symbology and hidden messages. Theres really too much to talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
Halo 3 is as good as bioshock. Im sick and tired of hearing people trying to crown Bio shock the "halo killer".
Rest assured that I never called Bioshock a "halo killer". I just say that Bioshock is better than halo.

Quote:
I would say they are about even. I just get annoyed at you Bioshock fanboys that feel it required of you to bash Halo When I being a Halo 3 fanboy never have bashed Bioshock.
And what I find funny is that I'm playing an FPS game when I hate the entire genre. It's clear that Bioshock is doing something right, and that something isn't reproduced in halo. You have to remember that I personally am an RPG player. I don't give a crap about the biggest FPS of the year. I'd take Star Ocean 3 or Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria over any FPS any day. The fact that Bioshock is capable of drawing me in enough to play it is enough for me to state that Bioshock is better than Halo. Of course, you also forget that the mere statment like that does not constitute "bashing" halo either. It is simply a comparison statement.

Quote:
The reason I like Halo's story line more then Bioshocks is because Bioshocks takes place in one place and one place only, in a big city underwater, cool. Thats it though. Halo 3 on the other hand gives you many different environments to play in, and a huge variety of beautiful mountains on the horizon and huge giant parts of the Ark construct your on that you can see going for thousands of miles.
The point of Bioshock IS that it's the one world though. The sense of isolation and continued insatiable nature was what made Bioshock so much deeper than Halo. The fact that you are to explore this undersea world and plunge deeper into the lives of your enemies that makes it so much more atmospheric. While gameplay-wise this is a terrible thing to do, it is much stronger in showcasing the descent into insanity. If I have to compare an environment that is as rich as Bioshock, I'd have to say something like Silent Hill 2 would fit the bill best (though Silent Hill 2 still would kick Bioshock's butt in storyline).

Quote:
Bioshock is fine, don't hate it. But just because Halo doesn't throw all its details in your face for the story doesn't make it less in depth. It has many many little hidden things that bungie has put in it that you would probably be suprised. All of the symbology and hidden messages. Theres really too much to talk about.
Sander Cohen is deeper than anything Halo has. And he's just one boss character. Face it. Halo 3 is an action movie blockbuster, it was never meant to deliver anything deep no matter how you slice the pie. Bioshock, on the other hand, was made by copying Ayn Rand. When you consider the complexity of Ayn Rand's work, you can very much see how much more complexity Bioshock has. I call what I see, remember. FF12 is an action movie blockbuster for the RPG market, but its storyline isn't nearly as powerful as old SNES games like Chrno Trigger.
Quote:
Quote:
You have to remember that I personally am an RPG player. I don't give a crap about the biggest FPS of the year. I'd take Star Ocean 3 or Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria over any FPS any day.
Thats fine with me, understand that.

Quote:
Isn't COD4 not in World War 2?
Yeah, I know it doesn't take place in WWII, ive seen some video footage, doesn't look all that changed. Graphics are much better, but besides that the game mechanics seem pretty well the same.

Quote:
Sander Cohen is deeper than anything Halo has. And he's just one boss character. Face it. Halo 3 is an action movie blockbuster, it was never meant to deliver anything deep no matter how you slice the pie.
Uh, thats what the Media deemed the game. The actual creators would never give it such a superficial term. Halo has a much bigger story then its given credit for simply because people blow through the game and skip the cutscenes and then say "yeap, the stories crap".

There are MANY MANY things that are beyond the game that have to do with the story. Theres a whole corellation to biblical events throughout the game if you noticed. The Ark, The Covenant, The Flood? The Ark is used as refuge against the Flood.

And thats only one thing.

www.ilovebees.com

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Iris

Skim through that second page alone and tell me that Halo isn't deep.

This one is quite interesting.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_%...rences_in_Halo

And there are countless other things. Im not going to continue to try and prove my point. But if you have never ever touched anything to do with Halo don't write it off as "not deep". Its plenty deep and more involved then people know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002
Quote:
Uh, thats what the Media deemed the game. The actual creators would never give it such a superficial term. Halo has a much bigger story then its given credit for simply because people blow through the game and skip the cutscenes and then say "yeap, the stories crap".

There are MANY MANY things that are beyond the game that have to do with the story. Theres a whole corellation to biblical events throughout the game if you noticed. The Ark, The Covenant, The Flood? The Ark is used as refuge against the Flood.

And thats only one thing.

www.ilovebees.com

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Iris

Skim through that second page alone and tell me that Halo isn't deep.

This one is quite interesting.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_%...rences_in_Halo

And there are countless other things. Im not going to continue to try and prove my point. But if you have never ever touched anything to do with Halo don't write it off as "not deep". Its plenty deep and more involved then people know.
You keep forgetting that I don't judge what I don't see. So how am I judging Halo? You are correct in me not playing Halo much if at all, but that didn't stop me from watching it on Youtube/while watching other people play. The game isn't built like Bioshock, where you absolutely must play the game in order to go deep into the storyline. Audio diaries by even minor characters breathed life into them. Halo 3 didn't do any of that. It was not, simply said, psychologically pleasing. No, reappearance of glyphs and "7's" (even if a good number of them are random) don't count as "deep", since if that were to be true, a great number of stupid things would have to be considered "deep" as well. References to the Bible is simply proof that Bungie's just being lazy and wanted to put religion into the storyline to make it appear deep. At least Bioshock's team took their "deepness" from something other than the Bible.
Quote:
Heh, lazy for adding biblical stuff? Last time I checked Bioshock has some references as well-----> a la ADAM and EVE.

And like I said, the plotline seems very similar to FarCry Instinct's plot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Correct, Irrational Games was lazy in just using Adam and Eve (because cybernetic modules don't work in context) in their GAMEPLAY MECHANICS, but also remember that Bioshock heavily borrows from Rand, not the Bible. And the plot, aside from ripping off Ayn Rand, is based on System Shock 2 as well (replace zombies with splicers), which is likely what Far Cry ripped off in the first place. What they did, however, was add personality to the splicers, something that gave the game a different and more personal feel to it. By no means do I say Bioshock is "the game" when it comes to plot, it's just better than Halo's plot.

Speaking of that, Halo's a triology, which hurts its plot potential rather than help it. Triologies tend to always have the same problem where plot-wise people who aren't on the boat the whole way through wouldn't be able to pick up the storyline. That is a con in plot design, as you want the plot to always be understandable to everyone. That's not to say that all trilogies are bad at that, it's just that Halo isn't exactly one like that either.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco
Default Re: Bioshock vs. Halo

Well, I'm sure we all know Bioshock had much more quality, just not enough quantity (multiplayer) for the loyal Halo fans.

Irrational Games department heads even said it themselves. Multiplayer would ruin the deepness of Bioshock.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger

Seems to me, you all are comparing apples and oranges. Get over it

~Isaiah

URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger View Post
Seems to me, you all are comparing apples and oranges. Get over it

~Isaiah
OrexxerO wanted to enlighten us that the apple can be more of an orange than an orange, actually." Notice the progression never talks about how much of an apple the apple was. Yes, I do state that the orange is better than the apple.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Along with just about every other Halo fan/Bioshock fan on some random message board. :P

Its inevitable that they be compared.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 PM
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
OrexxerO wanted to enlighten us that the apple can be more of an orange than an orange, actually." Notice the progression never talks about how much of an apple the apple was. Yes, I do state that the orange is better than the apple.

Brother. Just wanted to prove that Halo's story is deep, just doesn't do the job of explaining every detail in the game. Which while isn't necessarily a good thing, it allows them to do other things besideds just a game. It has Four novels now as well as many graphic novels.

They are probably writing a few more novels, all of which have actually been pretty good at making the characters seem alive and real. They made Master Chief more of a person instead of a guy in the armor. Heck, in the books it speaks of one point during the first Halo game where he had taken off his armor at basecamp.

And Bioshock isn't the only game to use sound recordings. Doom 3 did it as well. If you ever played that, although you probably haven't since you don't like FPS's. I understand you liked Bioshock simply because it had many RPG elements in it.

Conclude the discussion! We both like our game more then the other. We can at least agree they are both good and fun to play. They are just different.

The end?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to c-wooper

why don't you guys make a poll>?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Clutch Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Clutch

*Didn't read any of that*

BioShock's Campaign>Halo 3 Campaign
Halo 3's Multiplayer>BioShock's Multiplayer
BioShock>Halo3

BioShock's Campaign is just too great compared to Halo 3's. But you can't really compare the multiplayer modes, because Irrational really only focused on the Campaign mode, rather than the multiplayer, because it would've taken away from the actual Story Mode.

End of discussion.

*LOCKED*

Black Ops | K/D: 2.69 | W/L: 2.96

Last edited by Clutch; 10-27-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: So I could prove my point. ;)
Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

I read a review and saw a few screenshots on Bioshock. It does look good graphic wise, though the theme location looks...scary. No offense, but I think Halo 3's better/
Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Bioshock is the world of Bioshock.

Halo is the Halo Universe.

In terms of how good the games are, no doubt that it is an apple vs. orange issue. However, if you offered me all of the Halo games including the upcoming Halo Wars against Bioshock, I would pick Halo in a heartbeat.

Halo is just... Epic... Er.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Norman View Post

I read a review and saw a few screenshots on Bioshock. It does look good graphic wise, though the theme location looks...scary. No offense, but I think Halo 3's better/
You can't exactly have a horror game without the location being scary... >.>