Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt
Default Dumbledore is Gay

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...VrA_g5tqh-xBQA

Quote:
TORONTO - The aging "Harry Potter" wizard Dumbledore might as well have posed for the cover of "The Advocate" in a leather harness for all the controversy that's erupted over J.K. Rowling's recent revelation that he's gay.

While gay Potter fans around the world were rejoicing Monday about Rowling's outing of the kindly Dumbledore in New York late last week, others were miffed that she didn't make his sexuality more obvious throughout the blockbuster series and questioned her motives in doing so now, months after the final book was published.

"I'm a gay fan and I'm not amused," Griet Verlinde, a 26-year-old psychologist from Belgium, said on the AfterElton.com blog, a site devoted to gay and bisexual men in the entertainment and media industries.

"Firstly, how very 'nervy' of her to out him after all the books have come out and it won't harm her sales," she wrote. "Secondly, not a single rumour of this in the books. Nothing."

Predictably, right-wing Christian groups in the United States have also weighed in following years of assailing the "Harry Potter" series due to its focus on witchcraft. This time, Rowling's alleged crime is making homosexuals seem normal and kind-hearted to young readers.

Scott Dagostino, managing editor at Toronto's Fab Magazine, scoffs at the naysayers, saying Rowling did a courageous thing by making it clear to stunned fans at Carnegie Hall on Friday that Dumbledore is gay and was once in love with Grindelwald, something he says was long suspected anyway by some canny Potter fans.

Potterheads have pointed to lines like this one, from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," as providing clues to Dumbledore's sexuality: "'You cannot imagine how his ideas caught me, Harry, inflamed me."'

"The thing I find amusing about the whole thing is that Harry Potter has been loathed by the Christian right from the get-go - they see it as indoctrinating children into witchcraft and evil - so saying that the headmaster of the children's school is a gay witch, that's pretty much their worst nightmare," Dagostino said with a laugh.

"I think she was being very funny and quite brave in not backing down from these people."

Dagostino said Rowling did nothing wrong in keeping Dumbledore's homosexuality subtle.

"Part of the theme of the books is the fact that the adult world is very secretive. Book by book, Harry Potter finds himself drawn into these adult machinations, and Dumbledore is presented as a man of great secrets, so this just adds one more layer to him," he said.

"J.K. Rowling is a smart enough woman that she knows if she'd waved the rainbow flag, it was just going to draw attention in a way that she didn't want; it would have taken away from the story and become a distraction. I think the way she's handled it is perfect."

But Verlinde finds the out-of-the-blue revelation to be suspect.

"The timing does indeed seem odd," she said in an e-mail exchange from Belgium. "Rowling said: 'Oh, Dumbledore's gay' in response to someone asking if he ever found true love ... my question is, would she ever have told us if that question hadn't come up? When? When it was time for a reprint, perhaps?"

Canadian children's author Eva Wiseman, who's nominated for a Governor General's Award for her book "Kanada," wondered why Dumbledore's sexuality was relevant at all in an adventure series of children's books about wizardry and witchcraft.

"If you have a character and if the fact that he's gay is important to the plot, of course you would mention it. If you needed it to make the book more relevant or advance the plot, then you would mention it ... but if it doesn't make any difference to the plot or it's insignificant to the story, then why bother mentioning it?"

Wiseman has her suspicions.

"Maybe she needs more money!" she said with a laugh of Rowling, who is the second wealthiest female entertainer on the planet, after Oprah Winfrey.
I was utterly surprised. I can't honestly see why she would mention this at this point in the Harry Potter franchise, with two movies still in the works. What do you guys think?
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Hatchet Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Hatchet
Default Re: Dumbledore is Gay

:O
I didn't know this. I'm surprised.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

It explains so many things...

-Why he favored Hagrid so much
-Why he was protective of Harry
-Why he kept switching defense against dark arts teachers
-Why Unbridge was fired abnormally quickly
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 PM
silverfrost Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to silverfrost Send a message via MSN to silverfrost Send a message via Yahoo to silverfrost

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought someone was just spamming or something. :P

I really had no idea either. :o But yeah, I suppose once it's pointed out to me, the relationship with Grindelwald seems somewhat suspicious. Before now, however, I just thought he was an intelligent wizard, and that Dumbledore admired him immensely.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Hatchet Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Hatchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfrost View Post
When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought someone was just spamming or something. :P

I really had no idea either. :o But yeah, I suppose once it's pointed out to me, the relationship with Grindelwald seems somewhat suspicious. Before now, however, I just thought he was an intelligent wizard, and that Dumbledore admired him immensely.
Ah, me too. I thought the post Matt made was to give the thread maker a punishment.
It makes sense now that I think about it. I never expected this though.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Lady Of The Lake Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Lady Of The Lake Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Of The Lake Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Of The Lake

yeah i saw this

Made by me
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Kick the Moon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Kick the Moon Send a message via Yahoo to Kick the Moon

I found this yesterday. xD
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Hahaha, Harry Potter just gets more interesting. :P
Old 10-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Smurf Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Smurf Send a message via MSN to Smurf Send a message via Yahoo to Smurf

Score one point for slash writers.

Charbok, you're a moron.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 AM
TayyabX Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I heard this in the car, on the radio.....

I never knew what they were talking about, but this?!

Yeah Matt...
What will happen, since 2 movies aren't even out...
If people keep thinking this, they might not get alot of people watching the movie 6 or 7... -_-
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

XD

I thought maybe this was some ridiculous accusation by some newspaper or another at first, much like the "purple Teletubby is gay" accusation. But, lo and behold, Rowling sneered at the ridiculous Christians accusing the books of spreading witchcraft. I applaud her.

Quote:
This time, Rowling's alleged crime is making homosexuals seem normal and kind-hearted to young readers.
Laughed so hard at that. Do these people think that gays are in the league with Satan and are out to kill everyone? Hahaha...
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

It is not a big deal. Get over it.

EDIT: I honestly fail to see how this is newsworthy. Getting all up in arms about a fictional character's sexuality is... a little ridiculous, honestly.

Last edited by Seawolf; 10-23-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

OMG! i never knew... [nobody did l0l]

this explains why she killed him off.... that homo-hater! jk.... (my uncle is gay, so i dont mean any disrespect to ya'll)

@Megumi:

1st of all, The HP books were like one of the best-selling series of all time, so naturally it would be a big deal for this little revelation..

2nd off: C'mon, if they report something about Britney Spears texting while driving (pointless crap in other words) then of course they are going to report about this... =P

BRYCExKAT
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Light Manaphy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
It explains so many things...

-Why he favored Hagrid so much
-Why he was protective of Harry
-Why he kept switching defense against dark arts teachers
-Why Unbridge was fired abnormally quickly
You, my friend, have one wacked out mind. XD

j/k

I'm surprised at this, btw.

:~Paired with DarkSalamence~: :~Big Brother of: KFC and stardyab~: :VPP Status:
Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

I really don't have much of a reaction. I don't think this was some lame attempt to boost sales. She really doesn't need anymore money, and if she really wanted to appease the fandom she'd go ahead and declare Sirius as the gay one, and announce that there are clues to his and Lupin's secret love affair if you circle every fifth world in Chapter 21 while holding it up to a mirror upside down.

In retrospect though, I suppose I can imagine it. There are a few suspect lines in DH, but I didn't give them a second thought until now.

Hi