Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KelDragon Send a message via MSN to KelDragon Send a message via Skype™ to KelDragon
Default Major Stumbling Block For Me and Writing Pokemon fan Fiction

I'll try to keep this short. I love Pokemon, and have for years. Some of you may remember me (bck in 2004) as being a pretentious adolescent named Keltron. (Amusingly, my unfinished piece-of-crap that I thought was a story is still here if you look for it.)

I've wanted to write Pokemon fanfic for quite a long time. However, there is a huge block that largely prevents me from doing so. That being my blindness. Now, because I'm blind I have absolutely know idea of the following:

1) The appearance of a great number of the Pokemon.

2) Likewise, the appearance of nearly all of the attacks.

and 3) I have no idea of the geography of any of the regions.

Obviously, the only way for me to not get things hopelessly wrog is ... to not write. I really would like to try and write some stuff and put it up for critique, but I just don't know how to get past this.

I would /greatly/ appreciate it if anyone could offer any help or advice.

Paradoxes, by there very nature, cancel each other out. This logically means that they don't exist. But saying something that must exist doesn't exist is a self-contradiction. So say good-bye, folks, the universe is about to go through a total existence failure.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Major Stumbling Block For Me and Writing Pokemon fan Fiction

It's extremely unfortunate you have that disability, but I'm really glad to see that hasn't stopped you from writing, as that is an outstanding passion to hold on to. You can definitely do this and write a great fan fiction.

This may sound tough to do, but try to imagine the Pokemon is next to you. See with your sense of touch instead. For example, imagine you're next to a Pikachu (my favorite Pokemon of course). Instead of trying to focus on what color his fur is or what color his cheeks are, focus on what you would feel after you touched his short, soft fur, his jagged, thunderbolt-shaped tail, his small feet and hands, and his long, slender ears, as if you were petting him. Also imagine that he's standing one foot four inches from the ground, so he would only be a little bit shorter than where your knee is. Getting a Pikachu plush doll would actually be a big help so you would be able to feel these things with your hands, understanding what their shape and features are like. I know, not all Pokemon have a plush doll made after them, but this is a good place to start. Meanwhile, with a good written description, it is possible to imagine what the Pokemon would be like shown in actual size, as if it was really real.

As for the attacks, again, using adjectives to describe shape and size can do the trick, and are even stronger in text than ones that simply describe visual elements. Think of the following description in terms of what it would feel like and sound like, rather than what it would look like:

The Pikachu gathered his energy and let loose his Thunderbolt attack, forcing jagged, forking bolts of thunder and lighting from his cheeks into the surrounding area, overwhelming his opponent with a powerful, rumbling force of electricity.

Try to imagine this furry Pikachu with his jagged tail, long slender ears, and small hands and feet leap into the air, let loose this awe-inspiring, overwhelming blast of thunder, and almost imagining you're feeling this and hearing this loud, booming thundering noise as if you were really there when it happened. Can you feel it?

And lastly, as for the regions, understand that almost every region in the Pokemon world is mostly made up of towns and cities all connected by roads. All of these roads are walked on by foot, as very, very few motor vehicles actually appear in the games. Rather than thinking about what the region itself looks like, the main important elements are to understand what is connected to each other, such as Pallet Town in Kanto being connected to Viridian City in the north. Also know that almost every single area in the Pokemon world is generally of a temperate climate. The only exceptions are the northern area of Sinnoh, which has a snowy, cold climate, and the Orange Islands, which are more tropical.

Good luck with writing that story, and I hope this helped you.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Gah, this is going to sound so pale comapared to Neo's help. ^^;

Like Neo said, you have this disability and yet you still want to write Fan Fiction. A true writer if I ever saw one.

Everybody mostly knows how most pokemon look like. Charmander is an orange lizard, simple. Imagine the lizard, are teh scales rought when you tocuh them or smooth?The flame on its tail, was it burning brightly, showing that it is healthy or does it look like a flame that could be blown out by any gust of wind?

About the attacks, you know, for example, that Hyrdo Pump is virtually a big blast of water, an extra powerful Water Gun. Imagine the attack coming right towards you. Does it it look imtimidating, can you hear the roar as it gets closer? Do you feel water laready hitting your face, stinging you eyes, even before it comes towards you? Same thing with, lets say, Giga Drain. Can you see the fangs of the pokemon ccoming closer, glinting in teh sunlight? When it bites you, do you feel pain or merely a loss of energy? Imagine your the pokemon that's being attacked.

I hoped this help you at least a little and good luck with Fan Fiction. :)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Psychic Offline
Master Trainer

D'you know, you are incredibly brave and strong-willed to be doing this when you have a condition that that hinders the sense that so many writers rely on the most. This is what really separates the ordinary writers who just write because they're bored from those who are truly passionate about writing, and so I proudly applaud you.

Out of curiosity, how do you play the games, or watch the shows, then? Do you have any bit of sight? How do you enjoy a franchise that requires so much looking and seeing? I am just incredibly impressed by all this, so please excuse my curiosity. ^^;

Anyhow, Neo really said it best. The focus on feeling and shape will be a huge help and heck, it can really liven up a description better than the repetitive "it had red scales, its belly was yellow, its eyes were green" and can certainly be a refreshing. Also talking more about sound can do wonders; from a soft, whistling breeze to the sound of tiny paws scampering through a patch of grass to the sound of an Earthquake attack shattering the ground and cracking tough concrete to a Flamethrower choking the oxygen out of the air as it ignites everything around it, causing trees to crackle as they're consumed by the inferno and hot bits of ash land on your skin, searing and burning the tiny area. Sight and looks aren't everything, and without it I think you can still do a great job putting the reader into the scene, allowing them to feel what the characters feel, smell what they smell, hear what they hear. It will leave them a lot to the imagination sight-wise while their other senses will be engulfed by your descriptions, using the different senses more than other authors and giving reader a better experience.

But actually, I have a fic idea for you that would be perfect, and if someone who didn’t have to rely on sight did it, well…have you ever read the Silverwing series? It was written by Kenneth Oppel, and the books are told from the point of view of a bat. While bats aren’t blind (as many people) think them to be) they are unable to see colour and use echolocation to “see” everything around them. The books were awesome and incredibly interesting, and I think you’d be able to pull it off with Zubat. Not following the plotline and such per say, but just telling the fic from the point of view of a bat Pokémon – might not be to your taste or anything like that, but I’m just throwing it out as an idea. Imo, it’s harder for a person who can see to write in a style that doesn’t require description of colours and so many sight-related things, and trying to describe echolocation as a new sense is fascinating, but probably harder to imagine for people who can properly see since they’d imagine it being so similar to sight.
Lord knows I'd read a Silverwing-like fic. :)

Anyways, whatever you choose to do I say you go for it. Any author who just attempts to overcome an obstacle that may make it difficult to write, such as blindness or a learning dissability should be highly commended, and I say that if you put your mind to it, you could make an awesome fic.

Good luck!

~Psychic
Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 PM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KelDragon Send a message via MSN to KelDragon Send a message via Skype™ to KelDragon

Well here's how it works.

I came in contact with Pokemon when I was only about six years old. I was instantly hooked. The concept was, and still is, enormously appealing to m| I have no sight, but I did watch the show. My siblings or friends would help me play the games, and for a long time, Pokemon was a major passion. However, about the time Fire Red and Leaf Green came out, I began to have less interest. And, well, the sixth-eighth seasons of the show frankly weren't that good4 (Don't even get me started on how badly they've gone and mutilated it now.)

I really appreciate all your advice; honestly, I never quite thought of writing that way. Your suggestion for a fic who's protagonist is a Zubat is intriguing, and I may look into that.

However, my first fic is actually just getting underway. It will be (oh no, you don't mean it!) a trainer fic. However, I'm going to try and weedle out all the cliche tropes that are being overused. I truly want this one to shine above the rest. (I'll say this with some cander; most of the Pokefics I've read here are franly quite bad.) I've got the Prologue to my trainer fic nearly finished.

Let me know what you think of the idea... is it even worth *trying* to write another trainer fic? They are the kind that most attract me, but I cannot say I have found *any* that are good. Do you have any recommendations?

Well, I'll stop rambling now, and get back to work. :)

Paradoxes, by there very nature, cancel each other out. This logically means that they don't exist. But saying something that must exist doesn't exist is a self-contradiction. So say good-bye, folks, the universe is about to go through a total existence failure.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Well, pretty much everyone gave you advice on how to write fanfiction even though you are blind. Yeah, take their advice. :)

If you want to write a Pokemon trainer fanfiction, go ahead. No one is stopping you! ^^ Most are not good because it is bascially copying from either the game or anime's plot. Plus, those stories don't pass second/third chapter. Maybe you can break that cycle :).

It's good though that you are planning ahead :) One trainer fic I recommend for you to read is to check out Saber's fic "Pokemon Revelations: Cross of Fates" in Serebii forums. It starts out like the FireRed/LeafGreen games, but then it gets good. Plus, it is finished! ;D One warning though: it is quite long! ^^;

Well, good luck!

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)

Last edited by Bay; 08-30-2007 at 07:29 PM.