Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Maza Offline
New Trainer

Default Re: Battery Replacement v1.2

I finally got the casing open of my Pokemon Gold cartridge and managed to change that battery. Trust me, it is very very simple if you read through that guide even once. Although I accidentally dropped some tin on the chip but since the game works just fine, it couldn't have hit any critical spot :). So just to warn all of you not-so-experienced-ones when you are wielding that soldering iron, keep it in the upwards position while holding it (to prevent any of the tin leavings from dropping in the wrong places). Pretty common sense but I just wanted to point that out :).
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Fallen Latias Offline
Amateur Trainer

Hey, thanks, now I can revive my Silver which has been dead for quite a while...

< This is a Latias! ^^ Feel free to give it Anything!
: 2 Cuddles,
:
Level: 10
Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 AM
aceb22bro Offline
Amateur Trainer

i am glad that i do not have gold version then

pm me to get your pics shoopified
Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Shadow Tyranitar Offline
Experienced Trainer

Say, I have two questions. If you replace your battery, will your saved game be deleted? And if you restart your old game, will it save the battery and then you won't have to replace it? Please answer.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 AM
aceb22bro Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Tyranitar View Post
Say, I have two questions. If you replace your battery, will your saved game be deleted? And if you restart your old game, will it save the battery and then you won't have to replace it? Please answer.
yes, since it supplies energy to keep your saved data ok, then it will all be deleted, but if you replace it, then it will save just fine until that one runs out

pm me to get your pics shoopified
Old 08-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Shadow Tyranitar Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceb22bro View Post
yes, since it supplies energy to keep your saved data ok, then it will all be deleted, but if you replace it, then it will save just fine until that one runs out
So, if it takes a second to get the cry of my lv 100s in my boxes, is that the battery mustering all it's energy? And, I don't think you answered my first question, sorry, I didn't understand.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Teepet Offline
New Trainer

Ah, a battery! That's why I lost my save when I washed my game >w< good thing I wasn't very far that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Now regarding your game. I would be surprised if the battery was an issue. Dead/dying batteries usually affect the saved games or the clock. You could try replacing the battery but I doubt it will help . If you have an extra $2-5 hanging around for the battery and someone who is willing to fix it then it is worth a shot and if it doesn't work then your game is sadly as good as trash .
My in-game clock hasn't been working, could that mean that my battery is dying? I dunno how long I've had the game, I'm not even sure if I got it new or used, but it's prolly been long enough that it may be wearing down. (I hope not though, I kinda like the game I just started and having no clock is kinda handy- makes it harder for me to miss deadlines... although it'll prolly be a pain in the butt for some things later on.)
Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Kirby Grunt Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kirby Grunt Send a message via MSN to Kirby Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Kirby Grunt
Default Re: Battery Replacement

Now all i need to do is find my pokemon R/B... but my GSC games never failed me before...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Cooltrainer Jennifer Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
5 to 8 years. Maybe more maybe less. I don't think playing or not playing will have much of an effect. Most Gameboy games have some kind of battery in it but you don't see them dying. I believe it's the crystal oscillator, which keeps the time, which has the biggest effect since it is constantly using the battery's energy.

You can however replace the battery with a newer one which should have a lot longer life.
will you get your game back?

CRYSTAL TEAM
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltrainer Jennifer View Post
will you get your game back?
I'm pretty sure that once you change the battery, any saved data you have will be lost. My battery hasn't died yet, so I'm only going from articles I've read.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
pokeholic94 Offline

you don't need a soldering iron. if you get ne of those small screwdrivers that are flat, you can bush the tabs in, replace the battery, then push the tabs back into their original position.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Does the battery replacement affect all GBC games? Or just Silver and Gold?

Because, otherwise, I'm going to need to watch Pokemon Blue and Yellow, which I got secondhand and I have no idea how old they are

I don't want to lose my beautiful Crystal game! It was the Pokemon game I got! Then I became obsessed...

Lol, even if the battery dies, I have a Dad around, they're always useful XD

Do you mean a Flathead Screwdriver Pokeholic94? Or whatever you call them...

The Brood is growing!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Does the battery replacement affect all GBC games? Or just Silver and Gold?
The reason why the batteries Gold/Silver/Crystal games die is because of the clock function. To maintain the time in the games, the battery constantly has to run.

So to answer your question about whether your Blue and Yellow batteries dying... the answer is no they won't die, at least not for a long time, since they do not have internal clocks .

On a side note, I have a Crystal cartridge which needs a new battery so I will use that opportunity to have pictures exclusive to this site. I am also considering creating a video tutorial which I am sure will help some people.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:48 AM
Sakura-Fox512 Offline

According to wiki:
"A common problem found in the second generation of games is a problem with the internal battery after roughly six years. The internal battery is located inside of the cartridge which allows the game to save the user's progress. Many people have reported that their games no longer save due to this problem, and any save file that remains before 2006 will be deleted!!!.

It is possible to fix this, but the cartridge must be opened and the battery must be taken out, and a new battery must be soldered in. The battery model is model CR2025, although a larger CR2032 fits as well and will last longer. An inexpensive replacement battery can be purchased with the same welded tabs and insulating ring already attached such as the Panasonic BSG series (part # BR2032-1F2) available from Digikey. One will need to be able to use a soldering iron to remove the old battery and install the new one. One should get a battery with welded tabs such as the one mentioned above; it is difficult and unsafe to solder directly to a lithium battery without tabs.

With a new battery, the game's save file lasts a much longer time; however, any previous data saved on the game when the battery is replaced is lost."

I can not find their most Highly recommended the Panasonic BSG..... :(

Last edited by Sakura-Fox512; 03-02-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Omittchi Offline
New Trainer

I have a few questions. My Pokemon Gold won't save or when it does the data is Corrupt, so I think It's the battery. I was wondering what size battery is needed and is there a way to do this without a soldering Iron because I do not have one or know anyone who has one.