Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Ľ Other Boards Ľ Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Defining Diversity

Iíve been noticing that many sectors of business as well as social life have been placing an extreme focus on illustrating diversity. In some ways, yes, itís good to have a mixture of people so that different cultures, beliefs, and ideas can be shared as one. However, in another way, itís been the cause of separating people even further than before.

Before there was such emphasis on diversity, no one was given a label. We had gotten over the hill just after Martin Luther King and many other African-American leaders had done so much so that blacks and whites could be one, could walk together, and treat each other in sensible and humane ways. They were considered people, as one. Now, the presence of diversity labeling has again named them once again as African-Americans, whites as Caucasians, along with Hispanics and again with people of other cultures. What has this done? Simply put, weíve again been put into the mind state of labeling people by their skin tone and appearance, rather than acknowledging the fact that we all consist of one universal group of people.

Iím sure in time we could have melded together, and look at each person for who they are and what they accomplished, as well as looking upon the content of their character to the point where skin color or race wouldnít even be thought of. Instead, the emphasis of diversity has made the very label of each personís race almost like a membership card, and in some cases, a highly dominant factor.

Discuss your feelings regarding this.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Defining Diversity

I welcome openess about diversity, remembering that includes more than just race.

In the midwest, it's almost impossible to get people to LOOK at you if you aren't white and "perfect". They teach kids that it's "not polite to look" at people with different skin colors, who are spastic, fat, whatever (piercings and tatoos are borderline).

The first step in recognizing people is seeing them. The focus in my company has been to get people to open up, and realize they need to be looking at other people, and that it's OK, even vital, to notice them.

It's really sad and spooky to be one of the ghost people. I fall into that category when I have to use a wheelchair, or am having balance problems and walk "weird". When I'm well, people can see me again.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

I know what you mean ashkelon. I'm black, and it's hard for "some" people to even look at me. <_<
Old 02-20-2005, 02:10 PM
JohtoTrainer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to JohtoTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to JohtoTrainer

That's because some people think that black people will take it the wrong way if you look at them weird. White people are weird. Some people just try too hard not to be racist, and end up being racist. o_O. Weirdos.

This suit is black not.