Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Dynamic_Entry Offline
New Trainer

Default Help Building My Pokemon Team

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I'm sure there are enough posts about team building help, but well... I would like some help too.

I've never been much of a competitive battler, so lately I've been looking up guides on team building. So far, I've decided on 3 pokemon to have in my main team, but I'm having trouble deciding on the other 3. My team sofar is as follows:

Milotic
-hypnosis
-ice beam
-recover
-surf

Starmie
-psychic (thinking of replacing this with recover)
-surf
-thunderbolt
-ice beam

Dugtrio
-earthquake
-aerial ace
-rock slide
-hidden power (bug)

My basic idea is to have Milotic be my main tank and use hypnosis (since he can take hits when it misses). This would force the other person to switch out, and Starmie and Dugtrio would be used to pick off the sleeping pokemon left over at the end once I've taken care of the rest of their team (dugtrio would be especially good for this, since his ability keeps them from switching).

I still need a bit of advice on what to use for the rest of my team. I've been thinking of using Weezing as my physical tank/hazer, and possibly Heracross or Metacham as a physical sweeper (I'm not sure if they can be made fast enough). However, I don't know if those pokemon will work well with my current team.
Any advice on how I should further go with my team would really help me. Please keep in mind that I'm trying to avoid using legendaries (any pokemon not allowed in the battle tower)
Thank you in advance.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Steven Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Steven
Default Re: Help Building My Pokemon Team

You have a huge weakness to grass, that's all I can really say.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Kenny Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Yeah, and you don't want to use 2 of the same type in your team.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Dynamic_Entry Offline
New Trainer

Aren't Dugtrio and Starmie fast enough to not have to worry about grass types (especially since Starmie knows ice beam and dugtrio knows a bug type move)? I'm not planning on having them take hits anyway since they would be pretty much dead with any attack.
The thing is that I have already started ev training Starmie and Milotic, so I would rather not change them. I'm not really married to having Dugtrio though.
Do you have any other suggestions on a good physical sweeper that would help cover Starmie and Milotic's weaknesses? Is having two water types really going to be a big problem?

Last edited by Dynamic_Entry; 05-13-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Lunatyk Offline
Experienced Trainer

Sceptile is faster than starmie and dugtrio, but they're right you need to have another type of sweeper on the team.