View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe
Default Re: Breaking New Ground

Curating Joltik, Part One

Spoiler:
Overall

Okay so, I’m noticing a marked improvement from drawing to drawing. You’re getting better at shading, colors, and you’re playing around with other elements like Joltik’s reflection here. I like this, it’s so adorable I just want to hug it!

Dynamics

I love what you’ve done here! The outlines on everything are crisp and neat, even those without physically drawn outlines. You use color changes and shading to give everything a clear outline. With Joltik himself, the lines are tapered and thinner where they need to be to give it that natural feeling. I like that you used a water droplet to show his face instead of having a ‘normal’ pose we see all the time here on URPG, as well. The fact that you have his back to us is also very cool; it shows that you think about the entire Pokemon as a whole and not just what we see all the time in the anime and games. I do think that the background here is rather boring and dull behind the leaf itself; I would have preferred to see a forest or a lake or something to complete the image and give it that polished feel. Also, some of the lines look a little shaky, especially around the water droplet and at the top curve of the leaf. Try smoothing those out in your next drawings.

Colors/Shading

This is the coolest part of this. Your bright color choices, with the bright yellow of Joltik against a soft green leaf on a light blue background make for a pleasing sight for my eyes. The fade in the water droplet to show a reflection, mixed with the partial clearness of the blue water upon a green leaf is show very well here. I also note the blended, gradient colors on Joltik himself, the leaf, and the droplet. It looks very natural and makes for subtle realism. I also like the consistency in shading, and the use of the shading to make Joltik’s fuzz stand out a bit more. Things I could say about some of the color, though, that you could possibly work on: the leaf veins should probably be darker, not lighter, and they’re a bit thick and too faded to be realistic. Leaf veins are dark and show up better than the leaf parts themselves. I also think the background needed something other than a monochromatic, non gradient color.

Pokemon Accuracy

Joltik is perfectly accurate, even his fuzzy little butt.

Advice

1. Give your background more layers; behind this leaf needed to be a forest or something to give this image continuity.
2. Watch the outlines of your stuff that doesn’t have a marked, black outline. I’m noticing that it’s a bit wobbly and shaky, though not by a large margin. For perfect curves, try a paths tool for guidance?
3. Research the objects you are drawing and make sure to make them look as they are supposed to in nature. While you are exceptionally good at drawing these things, I feel like you could take that extra step and look up the material to make something really stand out.

SCORE

Definitely giving you a 60/100 here for amazing color blending, excellent use of background, drawing a Pokemon from the back AND front, and clean, flawless artwork. Keep drawing, Gun!

Curating Joltik, Part Two

Spoiler:
Overall

Can I just say, I want to hug this tiny bug. I love the use of soft color and the irresistible look on Joltik’s face! Everything is also so neat and precise, which is probably one of my favorite things about your art.

Dynamics

Excellent outlines again, and an adorable little mini story/background here. You like bugs on pillows, apparently, but that doesn’t make this one any less good. I like some of the fine details here, on Joltik with his fur, and on the pillow itself with that little yellow stitching pattern you draw in. However, one thing that sort of bugs (lol) me about this drawing is that the outlines on Joltik are particularly thick, especially when compared to the first drawing, and the rest of the background has no outline at all. While it worked for the drawing before, since Joltik had very thin outlines, this one seems a bit out of place. I also think you could do with coloring the outlines a darker color than the actual color of your subject, much like Disney and other artists do with their art. It adds a polished look and seems less harsh. For continuity in this drawing, I think either everything needed an outline or you needed to tone down Joltik’s outline.

Colors/Shading

The color choices here are very good. The purpley pink of the pillow makes Joltik’s body stand out a little more thanks to opposing colors on the color wheel. The shading is all consistent, and I notice that you used it to show some wrinkles in the sheets under the pillow on the left. The gradient here is a bit more cartoony on Joltik himself while the other things look more faded in, though it’s not a huge difference. It’s just something I noticed. I also think you could have made a couple of layers of darker shading directly under the pillow and under Joltik for depth, and some outwardly drawn shading indicating a dent in the pillow would have worked here better, like you did for Venipede. One small nitpick as well is that the shading on Joltik doesn’t vary on his face and on the fur of his right leg as we look at him. His lips/mouth should probably have been left mostly brighter or had the shading follow the ‘U’ shapes to show the dimensions, and the fur on the right should have differed from the rest of the smoother, straight leg.

Pokemon Accuracy

Yup, he looks good, including the proportions and even all down to the shapes of his fur.

Advice

1. Tone down the outlines if you aren’t going to give everything an outline. Maybe use a thinner brush next time or try for outlines around everything. I suggest colored outlines, but you may not prefer that method.
2. Vary your shading to the shape of the object for proper depth/dimension.
3. Add a few more dark layers of shading to your drawing for even more dimension, and use the shading to your advantage for dent lines etc.

SCORE

55/100, which means Joltik is caught!

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 04-05-2013 at 11:26 PM.