Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Nitro Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Nitro
Default Re: WAR XII Discussion and Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
Alright, we'll go with Option 2.

Also, sorry to be a killjoy here, but I think we need to make sure we do away with the "pure nonsense" teams like Octopus Babies and so on. I know, some people think it's cute and funny, but that kind of stuff is better saved for a parody WAR.

Yeah, you could legally make a team like "Pooping Seagulls," "Apocalypse Dung Beetles," and "Alien Butt Monkeys" that comply with all the rules, but think about what you're doing to the WAR's image when you do stuff like that. It's okay to clown around, act like a fool, and not take the WAR seriously when the WAR is in parody mode, but when it's not, try to keep things real. Otherwise, the other teams are not sure what to do, especially in the RP itself. If the RP was supposed to be like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings, "Pooping Seagulls" is like trying to force Monty Python and the Holy Grail down on people when they were expecting something more serious. If you have all the teams with goofy names and nonsense goals, sure, then it works and can be pretty loony, funny, and enjoyable if done right and everyone's in the mindset to do it, but when some are and some aren't, you've got a confused hybrid of the two that doesn't know what to do with itself.

Since the general preference is to keep the WAR more serious, level-headed, and realistic, let's stick with that approach and not try to deviate from it.
Really? @_@ Octopus Babies was able to win a WAR, I would add. Clowning around and acting like a fool, as you said, doesn't give enough credit to teams like that. If we were clowning around and acting like a fool, what were the rest of you guys doing that you couldn't even beat a "nonsense" team?

I understand wanting to keep the WAR serious and level-headed, that's reasonable. But, to be honest, I'm in this thing to have a good time. The way I do that isn't through being serious and level-headed. General preference or not, it would really ruin WAR for me and people in a same situation to me if you killed off the "nonsense" teams. For what, even? The RP? For one section, no matter how important, it's really kind of stupid. Most of the heavy-hitters and WAR veterans love the RP, but for those who aren't that way (me), I feel like it's a terrible trade-off. One section for what's basically the entire WAR to me? The WAR's image and all of that, that's being incredibly superficial. The WAR is a competition across different areas of Pokemon fandom, and the purpose of it is to be fun. If you want to portray it as serious business, that's a lie. It's fun, and letting everyone have fun, not just the people taking it so seriously as to want to eliminate the less serious teams for the sake of an image and seemingly the RP section.

The "general" seem to take WAR more seriously than I do (not in terms of the competition, but just as a concept in general), and that's fair. But to be such douchebags about it that you cut off the kind of teams I like is unnecessary and snobbish. I'm trying to imagine myself in your shoes, and I find your reasons for eliminating less serious teams to be superficial and self-serving. If you put yourself in my shoes, I hope you see that I'm just losing what I personally like about the WAR to have fun.