View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe
Default Re: Breaking New Ground

Curating Tentacool

Spoiler:
Overall
Overall, this is a dark, moody piece and I absolutely love it. The setting and shading is perfect in this picture.

Dynamics
You went lineless with this, which, like I've mentioned before, is a difficult task to accomplish when trying to make your focal points visible. You've managed to do this with subtle shading and color differences, anyway, which I love. I notice the background's gradual change from dark to light, giving the illusion that Tentacool is dragging the Luvdisc into deeper waters to kill and eat it (ooh, creepy). I also like that you have a silhouetted Tentacruel in the background, watching over with unknown intent. Is it going to steal the Tentacool's food? Is it a parent watching its offspring makes its first successful kill? Is it initiation into the Tentacruel gang? Who knows!? It's wonderful how you keep me so curious. I love the somewhat sad and scary story behind this. It also adds depth and dimension to the picture--'Cool seems closer to us while 'Cruel looms in the background. It's not often we see Pokemon do 'bad' things in the wild to survive, and here is a glimpse of what wild Pokemon have to do to eat and get by. One thing I noticed is that Tentacool's tentacle is above Luvdisc's eye, making the little fish look like it's making a sad expression. I'm not sure if you did that on purpose but it looks cool and makes for a nice touch. I also like the slight glow you put on the red gem thingies that adorn Tentacool/cruel's heads. I think the only thing I can pick on is the fact that there's no real texture or substance to the water. Perhaps some floating plankton particles? Seaweed? Background Pokemon? A few more details and texture and you'd have an even more brilliant piece.

Colors/Shading
The colors are great in this, and I love the shading job. I see a few different levels of shading, all sharply contrasted against the light source. Great job there; the lighting here really sets the mood extremely well. The only thing I can say is that the right side is super dark and almost obscures Tentacool, but it looks like it's done on purpose so I can't pick too hard.

Pokemon Accuracy
Yup, Tentacool looks good, as well as Luvdisc and 'Cruel's silhouette. I can even see the probiscus beak thingy on Tentacruel.

Advice
1. Uh... I'd say maybe, um. More texture to the water? And add some more Pokemon in the background. Perhaps Luvdisc came from a school of fish from somewhere back behind! That's really all I can pick on.

SCORE
This deserves way beyond what it needs. I give this a solid 60/100 for mood, shading, colors, accuracy, and backstory. This is excellent work, my friend. Tentacool is caught.

Curating Poliwag

Spoiler:
Overall
Very nice break from what you've done before with the cutesy, as well as the previous picture. I like to see artists expanding their horizons and trying something new.

Dynamics
You have a Poliwag attacking something just to the left of the viewer, making for a very dynamic and actiony piece that comes 'right at your face'. The bubbles are getting progressively larger as they come forward and right off the page. I also noticed that you shaded each one and varied the transparency as they overlapped, much like Venn diagrams. I like that attention to detail! I like Poliwag's expression, as well. A few things that I think you could work on in this image; Poliwag's eyes are a bit off. If you look, the space under the iris on the left isn't the same amount as on the right, making him look a bit derp but not by too much. His feet also look a bit awkward for some reason. I think maybe it's because Poliwag doesn't have that bit of leg before his foot-it's literally just an oval stuck to his little tadpole body. He sort of looks like he's standing on something rather than swimming, as well. Again, here you could have added a bit of texture to the ocean water to make it more realistic. And perhaps add some background elements that put Poliwag somewhere other than floating in an unknown space. Other than that, though, you have very clear lines again and it's a strong image.

Colors/Shading
The colors are nice and crisp, though I do wish you'd had some opposing color wheel choices for a more actiony picture. That makes for a bit of energy and 'pop. The shading is perfectly done again, though; you seem to have a knack for that.

Pokemon Accuracy
Poliwag is totally accurate. Except maybe the foot-leg-stalks, but I'm not gonna pick on that.

Advice
1. More background and more depth/dimension. Make the perspective really count with some background elements to make it look like Poliwag is closer than he appears.
2. Texture. Give the water some texture; add those wave light thingies, put some particles in, make a few lines to show water current and direction, add bubbles around the body parts of Poliwag that are moving around.
3. Make sure to make the eyes even and to check the pose before coloring for less awkwardness.

SCORE
I give this one a 50/100, since it lacked a lot of background elements and had a few minor hiccups here and there. This means that Poliwag is caught!

Curating Cherubi

Spoiler:
Overall
Awwww.

Dynamics
The lines on this are great! I also like that Cherubi is in tall grass like in the anime. The sleepy pose is also pretty sweet and adorable. I also notice that you approached the shading a bit differently than from before here. The background is lacking a bit, though--it's sort of simple and a bit boring compared to some other stuff I've seen you do. Adding more layers of grass, some foreground grass stalks in front of Cherubi, and putting some other green shades in the grasses would probably make this piece a bit better. I do like the clean, crisp lines and colors here, though.

Colors/Shading
The colors are vibrant, though again I wish you had a bit more contrast and differences in color since it seems a bit monochromatic besides Cherubi itself. The shading is kinda neat; it's like it's being lit from directly up above by the sun. You followed the roundness of Cherubi nicely and gave the illusion of three dimensions. The background needed the same treatment, though, as it seems you didn't really touch on that much besides the gradience from top to bottom with that grass.

Pokemon Accuracy
Cherubi is accurate, even down to the leaf shape! Great job eyeing up the detail there.

Advice
1. Add some new colors and shading to your backgrounds so they don't seem quite so monochromatic.
2. Give the picture depth and dimension by adding foreground objects as well as background objects, and variate the 'natural' bits of drawings (i.e., grass and trees) by making them go every which way, variating colors, and making everything different heights and angles.

SCORE
I give this one a 50/100 for neatness and shading, though the elements above detracted from the score. This means that Cherubi is caught.

Curating Venipede

Spoiler:
Overall
I am seeing some serious improvement in digital art here and I absolutely love it. And can I just say, you have a great talent with drawing cute things? I want to hug this Venipede so badly!

Dynamics
As you mentioned before, finding an image of the underside of Venipede is very difficult, though you managed to put the pieces together enough to illustrate a wiggling, belly-up baby bug just fine. I love the thin lineart here, as well; it's very appealing to the eyes and makes your details look fine and delicate. I can tell how much time you've spent on this because of the level of detail put into the bug. I love its pose; it looks like an infant holding its arms out for someone to come and pick it up! This is seriously probably one of my favorite images of yours on here so far. The only thing I could pick on is that you don't really have much of a background, but the fact that it's on a pillow or a sheet makes this okay. I like the lines you put as a 'dent' for its light weight pushing down on the fabric.

Colors/Shading
The colors are vibrant and pretty, but the shading... oh man, the shading in this is amazing. Layers upon layers of shading and highlights make this Venipede look so 3-D it's unreal. I can really tell that it has a hard outer shell and a softer belly because of the hard light you put on its shinier face. The dents in the fabric under it are accentuated by a light layer of shading as well, which just completes the look of an infant wiggling around on its bed.

Pokemon Accuracy
This is completely accurate, in spite of the difficulty you had in finding an underside-image for our poor little bug here. Great job!

Advice
1. Try adding a bit more of a dynamic background for these things. Try challenging yourself just a teensy bit at a time to add an element or two to the background and you'll get better and better. I believe in you! Look how good you got with digital art so fast!

SCORE
I give this a 65/100 for the sheer amount of work you put into shading this thing and making the lines so neat and thin. This is reminiscent of the actual cartoon and Sugimori's work; perhaps even more detailed. Venipede is caught.

Curating Oddish

Spoiler:
Overall
Oddish in the snow? Wat? But it loves it, aww lookit it's little adorable face.

Dynamics
There are several things I notice about this piece, especially when compared to your old Oddish. The lines are neater, the shading is better, and the background has a better angle to it, and matches up with your focus better. I also notice that you faded some of the lineart to make the snow appear more heavily before it. The fact that it's jumping around in the snow is great, too, and makes this piece more interesting than Oddish walking down a pathway. He's hopping around and quite obviously enjoying himself! The cuteness of this is just, oh my god I want to hug it. I guess I could sort of pick on the fact that your snowy hills don't have lineart marking them out, but I think it works this way, too. You could probably give the background a bit more depth, though, perhaps with a hill that's farther away, some different colored snow with darker shading, etc.

Colors/Shading
The shading in this is great! I see consistent lighting, some different layers of shading, and blending, as well as highlights on Oddish's eyeballs and tongue. The shadow in the snow fits because snow isn't really that solid, so the shadow would fall and be a bit blobby as well.

Pokemon Accuracy
Oddish is accurate, though I'm not sure if I should mention that you're missing those little lines under his eyes that seem to be in the anime and show. I have no idea if they're consistently there all the time, though, and it seems minor enough to ignore.

Advice
1. More depth to the background, and perhaps give it some lines to match the focus Pokemon, as well.

SCORE
50/100, which means that Oddish is caught.

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 04-02-2013 at 06:45 AM.