View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 AM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro
Default Re: Getting Started: READ FIRST!

AOL Instant Messenger

In the URPG, we have two main methods of battling: on AIM and on the forum. In this thread, I would like to stress the use of AIM for battling over the forum.

-The Case for AIM-

Forum battles take longer than AIM battles. A simple 1v1 can take days to finish, and longer battles such as a 3v3 can take over two weeks. Although forum battles are great if you're battling an opponent in a completely different timezone, if you're close to them (or really even if you're not) AIM battles are much faster.

AIM battles take much, much less time. A 1v1 usually takes about 5 minutes. 3v3's take longer, obviously, but not too much longer; they usually go from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Larger battles last longer, but their length is still much shorter than a forum battle of the same length.

On AIM, you can talk with your friends and find potential battlers. All of our refs have AIM, and there's usually one always on. Plus, on AIM, you can participate in FFAs, large free-for-alls between 6+ members, where you can earn much more than the $1000 from a battle. These rarely occur on the forum, but on AIM, they occur fairly often.

Having an AIM account also gives you access to some of the special events. On AIM, there are auctions, where many different (and rare) Pokemon are put up for sale, and sometimes there are mini-tourneys after those. The National Park holds events where they giveaway free items that you cannot buy in the Park shop. Also on AIM, there are sometimes random Pokemon giveaways- these usually accompany a party or an auction.

-Conclusion-

We highly recommend that everyone who participates in the URPG get an AIM account. It allows you to participate in faster battles, FFAs, special events, and allows you to talk with other members and connect with them.

You can find a list of all the referee's AIM screen names over here (PE2K | BMG | PWN).

AIM Installation Tutorial:

Spoiler:
So how do you make an AIM account? Go to the AIM website and find your way to the "Create a Username" portion, or just click this!. Then go download AIM from the main homepage, and you're good to go. (Alternatively, if you can't download due to whatever reasons, you can also use AIM Express which can be found on the same website since it doesn't require installation.)

But, you say, what if I can't download anything? I have an answer for you- use Meebo! Meebo is probably the best in-browser AIM, and it also offers other chat services too! The major setback on Meebo though is that you cannot see your dice rolls which can be easily remedied if you have others in a chatroom read them off for you.

I hope you've been convinced to get an AIM- it really enhances your URPG experience, and you will enjoy URPG more if you have an AIM and participate there. Here are a list of URPG Refs and their AIM usernames- so you know who to ask to ref!

It should be noted that any URPG battles or events that take place on AIM are under URPG jurisdiction and the event host or ref has the authority to kick anyone out for improper behavior. Additionally, if a member continues to cause a problem, they will likely be banned from the URPG.

If you're still confused about how to install AIM, here's a AIM Step By Step Tutorial, created by Hypocrisy is Fun of Pe2k.

Spoiler:
Some people are having problems with getting AIM to work, so I've put this tutorial together to help them out.

Sorry if we dont need it, but I'm sure it has to help some people who dont know how to get it to work.

Step one: Go to AIM | Chat, Share, Connect and go to "Get A Screen Name."

Step 2: Continue Your Journey.

Step 3: Fill out the following boxes.

(Dont worry about putting real information, they only ask for it to help you with weather, movie times, ect.)

Step 4: DOWNLOAD

Step 5: Save it somewhere, or else.

(Sorry if my browser is different than yours, but it should look kind of similar.)

Step 6: Look for the icon

Step 7: This should pop up:

Step 8: Dont click these. :P Continue.

Step 9: Agree!

Step 10: This should pop up.

Step 11: Grats, now LAUNCH

Step 12: Type in your account info

Step 13: Yeaaaaaaaaa I'm logged on! ^_______^

Step 14: I NEEDZ THE BUDDIES TO BATTLE! So add them. :)

Step 15: Add your desired friend's info.

Step 16: Double click their name, and start the battles! or chat, :P

This is the current version of AIM, but the older ones should be pretty similar.

Congrats, you have AIM, NOW BATTLE!

If you have questions; ask?

-AIM Blast Chats-

There's also a new feature called AIM Blast Chat. Setting it up is quite easy, and doesn't take much time. It solves the problem of not being able to see dice rolls in normal chats if you're using Meebo, as you're able to see dice rolls in blast chats even if you are using Meebo.

There's also a FAQ/Help Section at the link I posted above, if you need any extra information. Additionally, if you need more help with certain commands, enter a blast group, and type "!help" (without the quotes) for a list of commands to be used in the blast chat.

The URPG has an official Blast Chat for general discussion called [URPG Chat]. Feel free to ask in General Chat (PE2K | BMG | PWN) or on AIM for an invite.

*Thanks to Stinky for the AIM section, and to Iridium for the AIM Blast section.