View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Eevee trainer Offline

Default Re: Anybody think survival horror has gone downhill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Buyer View Post
I personally prefer Dead Space over Silent Hill, simply because I didn't find Silent to be Scary. I liked Dead Space for it's jump scaring technique and how no matter how many times you look at the vent, expecting one of the necromorphs to jump and cut your face to bits, it'll always come from the other vent.

But in all honesty, most horror games have to kind of trim it down because less and less people are being into horror games and more people are into action. They have to expand their horizon or else they'll fall short and won't make as much money. I mean they can still do it, but they also have to think of the kids out there. Parents won't complain about an action typed shooter, but if a kid is having nightmares over a game then they'll complain day in and day out.

But for me, I think it'd have to be Dead Space > Resident Evil > Fear > Silent Hill.

But that IS only my opinion.
I agree, I prefer Dead Space over Silent Hill as well. But people have different tastes. As for finding Silent Hill scary, again different tastes, I mostly loved the stories and symbolism of the Silent Hill games. By the time I began playing the Silent Hill series, I had already played Dead Space 1 and 2, so it didn't quite scare me.

Again, I agree that the action genre audience may be larger than the horror genre audience. Which is quite a shame in my opinion as the genre may be dying out with larger companies. On the other hand, this may be a larger opportunity for indy companies.

As for having kids get scared, they shouldn't be playing rated M games in the first place, so there isn't a need to trim it down for that reason. XD If they have nightmares from playing the game, then it's the parent's fault, not the company's.

|.:Art Gallery:.|.:.|.:Battle Log:.|
|.:My once trade thread:.|
Pearl FC- 4984-8127-7088 | SoulSilver FC- 1763-4967-6519 | Black FC- 0991-1240-1790