View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple
Default Re: Pokemon in Hidden Grotto?

I've been trying for a few days to get a Gligar from the hidden grotto, with no luck so far. Basically, the mechanics work like this:
  • For every 256 steps you take, there is a 5% chance that the grotto will regenerate.
  • If regenerated, 40% of the time it will hold an item ball (the items change depending on location)
  • 40% of the time, it will be a hidden item (these tend to be shards, mulch, or mushrooms)
  • 20% of the time, you'll see a pokemon, however this 20% is divided up between various different pokemon found within the route.

As you can see, the likelihood of encountering pokemon is pretty low, however not all pokemon in each grotto appear at the same frequency, and the 20% occurrence rate is distributed unevenly between the pokemon.

For example, in route 23, where I have been hunting Gligar, there is a 7.5% change of the regeneration resulting in a Zangoose, 7.5 for Seviper, 2% for Golduck, 2% for Absol, and only 1% for Gligar. This means that for every 256 steps that I take, there is only a 0.05% chance of me getting my Gligar. However, once you do find the pokemon you want, I suggest you save before battling it, as while its IV's and gender cannot be reset, its nature can, so you can get one with the right nature reasonably easily once you encounter it in the first place, particularly if you have a pokemon with synchronise and the desired nature at the front of the party.

Serebii has a full list of which pokemon and items are found where, and the chance of them occurring.

I've been going for well over 15 hours, and counting

Last edited by Neptune's Disciple; 11-21-2012 at 01:20 PM.