View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Shadow View Post
I am a chrstian, but my views on this aren't what people assume a Christians is. Okay, so I disagree with homosexuality, but homosexuals are people. We have differing beliefs in whether love is between a man and woman or whether it is more diverse, but that doesn't make me any better than them or vice versa. I am not to judge.

Romans 3:23 (NIV)

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Basically that is saying sin is equal. In the eyes of God, me thinking angry thoguths towards a person is as much of a sin as homosexuality.

Matthew 7:3 (NIV)

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

What I am saying is that I don't think any less of a person who is a homosexual. I disagree with their beleifs. me hating a homosexual because of disagreements on beleifs is like me hating a person because they go for a different football team. Heck, one of my best friends is a lesbian. A couple of my christian friends think I should distance myself from her. I tell them I won't. just because I disagree with her sexual orientation, that doesn't mean they are any different to me before they came out of the closet.

In dot point form:
  • Bible says homsexuality is a sin
  • Bible says everyone sins
  • bible says all sins are equal in the eyes of god
  • bible says I should not judge a person for sinning when I am a sinner
  • therefore I won't treat someone who is homosexual any different than i would treat a hetrosexual
Cobalt Shadow, you have literally made my day! I particularly like the quote 'Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?' I think that this is something that all society should learn from, especially the gay community.

I would like to clarify that when I was talking about religion before, I was talking about the extreme right. I have several Christian friends who hold a similar view to you, they may agree with homosexuality on a religious level, but to them (as it seems to be to you), they believe it is not their place to judge, and therefore it is not an issue for them. One of their churches holds services in support of marriage equality.

I am not at all against religion in any way, I have seen the good that it can do and the sense of community that it brings many of its followers. The side of religion that is seen is 'bad' in gay circles is often the view of only a few, and I believe that the gay community needs to realise and recognise that. Like I've said before, no one ever got anywhere by hate (apart from Hitler I guess, and he's not exactly any sort of role model).

While I'm sure that we would disagree on some things, I'm really glad and thankful for the level of acceptance that you, as a Christian, are able to give the gay community, and I'm sure your friend is too.