View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 AM
espeorb Offline

Default Thank you for holding this up.

A message to the admins, the community and whoever else may visit this site:

No one knows who I am. I signed up to this community when I was twelve years old. It was literally one of the first times I'd used a computer - back in 2005 I had an old, rickety desktop with Windows ME (not even XP!) on it. I was a huuuuuge Pokemon fan when I was a kid, and I remember the joy it brought me sneaking gameboys and link cables into school. That's why I joined up originally: to talk more about my favorite video game. Pretty simple.

Looking back on these old posts, it's funny how a lot of the stuff I did would foreshadow future events. I tried my hand at absolutely horrible art with no background except my will to create, and six years later I looked down at a pencil and decided I wanted to learn to draw. I have a long way to go, but I'm studying every day.

I think I actually joined this right when I'd started middle school proper. Since then, I've:

-Become a homeschooler
-Learned to program in two languages
-Gained a best friend of four years on the other side of the country who I went to see this summer
-Had a love, lost a love
-Graduated high school
-Finished multiple semesters of college early while working toward my degree in Information Systems Analysis
-Worked an hour a day for a year on art skills
-Written sprawling, hundred-page stories based on, of course, video games
-Gained a job, a car, saved up to move out on my own
-And, finally, found a link to this old forum today.

In a way, it's almost haunting. In France, there's cave paintings created by some manner of humanoid thousands of years ago. The things they wrote and drew - no, posted - on their walls are the only memory we have of them today.

Similarly, my twelve year old self still exists here in a sort of mellow stasis. The Internet is the world's largest locker for time capsules, and this forum is the oldest time capsule I have. So I just want to thank the community for keeping it alive and kicking, and for helping foster my love for the fantastic world of video games and technology. Thank you, everyone.

-Espeorb

Last edited by espeorb; 10-18-2012 at 06:21 AM.