View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy
Default Re: Why PETA is WRONG About Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
I see where you're coming from, but do you really think little kids are going to understand it this way?

Are children going to look at a demonized and bloody version of their favorite pasttime, a "parody" that exhibits their favorite characters saying the most downright slanderous things and showing off completely uncharacteristic traits and think to themselves, "Right, these guys are telling me not to be cruel to animals, got it!"

No. These are children, and last I checked, blood and violence are NOT attributes of a morally sound message for kids! The only thing that's cruel here is bastardizing a franchise that a great population of today's youth has come to cherish, and then having your message presented in a way that crams itself down their throat all at once, in some twisted way of seeking the moral high ground.

Little children aren't going to understand whatever ironic message you say is there. They're going to see blood, violence, and an altogether nightmarish version of what many of them love, and they sure as hell are not going to respond 'favorably' to it.

Try again.
I suppose when I said "children" I didn't exactly elaborate - I meant at the ages of, say, 7-13 rather than 4 year-olds.

It's hardly blood and violence - the game is depicted as a parody due to the drawing style and the jokes made during the game to lower the intensity of the theme; I found the majority of it quite humorous. Sure, the video at the start of the game is a bit too much, but it's likely to get the message across to the audience. Campaigns trying to promote the negatives of Animal Cruelty have to show the bloody, violent side of the topic - it's one of the most effective ways to raise awareness!

Neither of us can really say, or interpret, what children are going to get from this game - be it the message PETA are trying to send out or the gore/violence depicted. We're not children ourselves, therefore we can't really judge what they'll see/think. I can surely say though that the video (albeit a bit too much) will definitely hit home.

Maybe we're looking into this too much, or too little in fact. This is a parody and I really can't see it doing any harm. I mean, if there's an outrage about this, would there be an outrage over Egoraptor's "PokeAwesome" video? I mean, it is a parody.

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.