View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 AM
precita Offline

Default Re: What did you think of the Contest episodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I guess I didn't really find them interesting to watch. I haven't rewatched any of them in a long time now (since they first aired!) so I don't really remember them that well. I wasn't a fan of May so that probably added to it.

I really wasn't a fan of contests during Sinnoh either, though the Grand Festival really impressed me with the creative combinations used and I have a new found respect for them. (A bit late, I know!) I think it's just something that has improved over time. Who knows, if I went back and watched May's contest battles now I might be impressed!

What's your opinion, precita?
I suppose the difference you're talking about is they started adding CG effects to the appeals and battles in DP which made everything look more impressive.

Kanto, Johto and Hoenn didn't use those CG effects during the battles or contests due to the old animation style. I think during the Battle Frontier saga is when they started doing it for the first time as some of May's ice beam appeals were obviously CG animated.

So that's probably what you were noticing, they did it in DP to make the battles look more flashy, not just in the contests but in Ash's battles too.