View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Default Re: Christian Feminists? Oh, the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
That is not true at all.
Oh, really? It's not true that one doesn't need the law to be saved?

Quote:
And even if it did mean that the old laws were destroyed, how do you justify the Christian belief in the Ten Commandments, or the lack of acceptance for homosexuals? That is what cherry-picking is.
The laws weren't destroyed, there's the thing. Can't believe I didn't bring this one into the discussion before, but here you go:

Quote:
"We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers–and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine." -1 Timothy 1:10, NIV
Not made for the righteous. Christians are made righteous through faith in Christ; therefore, the law is not made for believers, who do not need it to be pure seeing as they've already been made pure through Christ's sacrifice.

The Ten Commandments are separate from the Old Testament law. God wrote the commandments with his own hand, while Moses - guided by God - wrote the Mosaic law. Homosexuality is another can of worms entirely. Homosexuality is denounced as a sin repeatedly in the New Testament as well as the Old Testament. It's still a perversion of the marriage guidelines God himself laid down for mankind. That's not to say I'm going to go beat up/ridicule a homosexual, because the Bible calls believers to show mercy and compassion to all, believers or nonbelievers, saved or sinners.

As for cherrypicking... Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black in this scenario.

Quote:
And this justifies the passages in the Bible how? This justifies current bigotry within religion how? This only makes the case worse, even if the idea that the original covenant was made void is true by Biblical standards.
You want an honest answer? It doesn't. I never set out to justify anything, just to point out several passages that clearly state that following the Old Testament law will not get you saved.

But do you want to know something else? Nothing, and I repeat, nothing justifies bigotry within modern Christianity. Christians are called to love and show compassion and mercy to all, like God shows mercy to those who sin against him. The fact that 'believers' shun or hate anyone made in the image of God is a flaw within their hearts, not with the Bible or with God. I don't have any problem with homosexuals, frankly; one of the people I talked to most last school year was a homosexual. If I know a homosexual I'll tell them that the Bible says their behavior is sinful, sure, but it's up to God to judge. Not me. Or you. Or my grandma. Or your cat. See my point?

Quote:
And if faith is all you need, it can be an easy justification for committing acts of evil under God's name. As long as you truly believe, you are fine. This is an incredibly immoral view.
I hold to the belief that no-one who is truly saved and knows the unconditional love of God would deliberately commit an act of evil.

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D