View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009
Default Re: Gotta Catch em' all Kanto: Yellow Version [RP][Open]

Aidan’s eyes grew wide. In a frightful panic, he threw up all the defenses he could muster around his mind. The assault came an instant later, and despite his best efforts, his resistance was swept aside with little afterthought. Kara’s psyche invaded his, winning control of all his senses. Terrible screeching filled his ears, and he glanced up in time to see the lockers around him burst open, releasing a storm of loose papers. Out of the cluster closest to where Kara stood, a monstrosity stepped out into the hallway, saliva dripping from its saber-like teeth.

Its head circled around to Aidan, staring him down with red-glowing eyes. With a menacing growl, it took a step closer.

This isn’t real, this isn’t real, Aidan told himself over and over. But what was real, and what was not… that was entirely up to Kara now. He was living in whatever world she wanted to create now.

The monster’s tiger-like fur sparked with electricity as it slipped past Kara, eyeing the boy intently.

“I expected better from my brother’s son,” the witch scowled, folding her arms across her chest. “Obviously, you have none of his talent.”

As if beckoned by her words, the monster roared and emitted several bolts of electricity from its body. The white-hot streaks slithered across the lockers, though one of them coursed right towards Aidan. The boy screamed as the current shot through is body, stabbing its scalding fingers beneath his skin. He tried to conquer the pain; it was all an illusion, he knew, but Kara’s control over his senses were so complete that he couldn’t tell his body otherwise.

His vision threatened to black out just before the pain abruptly stopped. Aidan fell to his knees, gasping for air. He felt Olive rub against his arms in an attempt to bring him back to reality. Fighting to stay conscious, the boy wheezed, “Why? Why do you do this to me?”

“You need to understand, Aidan,” he heard Aunt Kara’s boots clack against the floor as she passed him by. “Unless you protect yourself, people can trick you into believing whatever they want you to believe. Your other five senses are your weakness, for if you lose them, you lose your grip on reality. You need to learn to guard your mind, both from detection and from invasion.”

She paused, considering him for a moment. “I’ll admit, you can hide yourself pretty well when you want, but… That won’t help you unless you learn how to fight back. I’ve done what I can for you… It’s a pity you didn’t get far. Just… don’t embarrass us.”

Aidan opened his eyes to find the hallway empty. The lockers were just as they existed before Aunt Kara’s intrusion. Neither the witch nor her electric beast of an illusion was anywhere to be seen. It was just him, and a very troubled Eevee. She glanced up at him with her watery brown eyes, wanting to comfort him in some way. But the boy had cut himself off from the world. Curling into a ball, he wrapped his arms around his knees and allowed a few tears to fall down his cheeks.

After recovering his strength, Aidan wiped the moisture away from his eyes and stood. Without a word, he retraced his steps back towards the cafeteria, Olive trailing right behind him. To his dismay, he found the room utterly vacant—even the food had been cleared from the tables.

“They… left without me?” the boy stared despondently around him. Heaving a sigh, he groaned, “Why is everything going wrong for me today? Maybe… Maybe it’d be better if… I just gave up.”

<Aidan…> Olive leapt up onto a bench, finally getting his attention. <This isn’t like you. Where’s the happy, eager little boy I know is my Master? You were excited for this adventure! What happened? No, you know what? You listen to me!> She stomped her front paw down. <This is supposed to be your day. Don’t let that horrible woman get to you! I don’t care what she says—I think you’re the best. And you know what? You can be whoever you want to be! You are your own person! What right does she have to tell you what to do?>

The white-haired boy was silent for a moment, considering her words. “You… you really think I can do this?”

<I don’t think. I know!> she wagged her tail with emphasis.

A warm smile eased his troubled expression. Reaching out to scratch her behind the ears, he said, “Thank you for believing in me.”

She leaned into his hand, enjoying the attention, before leaping up on the tabletop and taking on a playful stance. <So, who’s ready for some adventure?>

His smile grew wider. “I am!”

<Then let’s get going! I bet we can catch up with the others if we move fast enough!>

“Aidan!” A voice interrupted their conversation.

Aidan involuntarily flinched at his name, but when he turned around he saw the DM enter the cafeteria. The boy blinked in bafflement, wondering what Max was still doing here.

“What are you still doing here,” the man asked. “Why didn't you leave with the rest of the group?"

<Hullo!> Olive jumped slightly, just as surprised as her master was.

Aidan ignored her for the moment, stumbling through a reply, “Oh, um… Well… I had to…”

<Um, you had to… finish an assignment?> Olive tried to help.

“I was…”

<Rescuing orphans? No—that sounds too exciting…>

“I was using… Er, the restroom,” the boy finally came up with an excuse, grinning sheepishly.

<Oh, that’s a good one!>

<Shh!> Aidan directed the thought to Olive.

Max stared at him for a moment, but returned, "The reason doesn't matter now; we have work to do if we are to catch up with the others. Let’s go."

“Yessir!” the boy jumped to attention, though relieved that he was going to have help tracking down the others. Hopefully, they hadn’t gotten too far ahead. Sweeping Olive up to his shoulders, Aidan turned from the cafeteria and followed Max to their next destination.

Character Count: OVER NINE THOUSAND!!! (seriously, it's a lot--two posts' worth, lol)
Points Earned: 5
Total Points: ...5
Accumulative Points: 5