View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
LS Offline

Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Team: Eggman Empire
Position: Against Legalization

s it is, America already has enough problems with its people. In 2009–2010, 35.7% of U.S. adults were obese (Source). As of 2009 (unfortunately, the most recent results I could find), 15,183 deaths in America were caused by alcoholic liver disease, and 24,518 deaths were alcohol-induced, and this number doesn't include accidents and homicides (Source). Between 2000-2004, an estimated 443,000 death were related to smoking (Source). Welcome to the country where many of our citizens seem to enjoy overdoing tons of different things that end up being incredibly bad for them, and there should be absolutely no reason for the government to add marijuana to the list. Sure, they could tax the crap out of it and make themselves more money. Sure, they could clear out the jails of those arrested under charges relate to just pot and save some money, and no, they can't catch everyone that illegally grows, deals, and/or smokes cannabis, but there is no reason they should let them go.

Okay, let me see if I understand what you're saying.... So you think if marijuana is legalized that there would be thousands of deaths caused by it?

While those that are pro-legalization claim that no one can die from smoking too much pot, they seem to be quite unaware that smoking pot increases the heart rate from anywhere between 20% to 100%, which leads to a drop in blood pressure and increases the smoker’s risk of having a heart attack, something that can be quite lethal. Meanwhile, while there is no proven link between marijuana and lung cancer, marijuana users can end up with some of the same respiratory problems as smokers do, such as more frequent acute chest illness and a higher risk of getting lung infections.
And then there's this one last source, which I used throughout the article.

The only reason that anyone would get any lung problems from smoking pot isn't due to the plant itself. It's because of the properties of smoke.