Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Team: Revolution Uprising.
Position: Against Legalization.

OK, I'm just going to be frank: WHY does the US, or really any country in general, NEED MORE addictive substances?
Implying cannabis isn't already around and thriving. Oh yeah, and did I mention that cannabis isn't addictive? You don't get withdrawal from not smoking. Psychological addiction is another thing all together, since people like to do what they like to do, be it smoking weed or playing video games, I don't classify this as "addiction", just "enjoyment".
Quote:
They're dangerous, they usually alter one's mental psyche, and quite frankly, if the drug itself doesn't kill you, many a times the mental alterations consuming the drug brings about as side-effects will wind people up in the situations to kill themselves.
Really? I have close to 100 stoner friends, who have never once been brought to wanting to kill themselves because of weed. The everyday world is more likely to make my friends want to kill themselves (income disparity, poverty, war, bullying, etc.).
Quote:
Legalizing this, for starters, will assist the Mexican Drug Cartels, which the US consistently stops on a regular basis to keep them from selling it illegally.
Keeping it illegal gives the drug cartels the green light to sell it at whatever price they want, and acquire vast amounts of wealth in the meantime. Now these super powerful drug cartels are responsible for 50k+ deaths in Mexico, with no end in sight.

Quote:
To have the ability to sell the drug legally will result in more revenue for an illegal organization.
HECK NO. Marijuana being sold legally would be regulated and controlled just like alcohol, and where I'm from, the government sells it. Meaning it would actually cripple these illegal organizations that thrive off the illegality of cannabis.

Quote:
And it's not like that just because it's legal to sell Marijuana doesn't mean there won't be laws limiting its trade that the Mexican Drug Cartels will still break to keep business flowing.
Just stop, you have no idea what you're saying. The only reason these cartels even exist is because of the illegality of drugs and the lack of a regulated market to sell these products on. When the market exists, these organizations cease to be illegal and become honest, average corporations.

Quote:
Also, Marijuana users have a greater tendency to fall into other illegal drugs, and mixing drugs together can have some bad consequences (ranging from long-term mental and/or physical disabilities to death to who-knows-what else).
No, stupid people and drunks have a greater tendency to fall into other drugs. Just because someone smokes weed doesn't mean they're automatically going to do anything else. Each drug is different, and people who smoke weed like the side effects of weed, not the side effects of heroin.

Quote:
Legalizing Marijuana is, in many more ways, opening Pandora's Box. Considering the three posts cover different reasons why to legalize Marijuana, Iíll explain myself more via the criticisms I give to the others.

Typhlosion Explosion, despite being from my team, I will have to cut your post open and give my criticisms.

I would like to point out that the reason there are more deaths from Alcohol is partially because Alcohol is a stronger drug, but more so because Alcohol is a substance that people can legally have, unlike Marijuana-meaning that they have easier access to it by legal means, quite unlike Marijuana, and once people have obtained it and put it into their bodies, there is little government intervention that can stop someone that's really drunk from breaking laws-who wouldn't think about all the laws and regulations once they are that impaired, as it's been proven countless times. There is a law about drinking and driving, and people still drink and drive, mainly out of the fact that they won't really think about that law while drunk. The same applies to Cannabis in that, once people are drugged up, they are less likely to acknowledge the laws surrounding their condition (or really laws in general), and may proceed to break those laws.
Perfect, now tell me how many rules are broken on a daily basis by these illegal users of cannabis. You'll notice no change. You can't make stupidity illegal, so stop trying.

Quote:
Typhlosion Explosion is correct: Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than Cannabis, because its effects and addictive properties are more powerful and potent than Cannabis. However, that does NOT, in any way, overshadow the fact that Cannabis is STILL a drug, and can still impair your bodily functions and your mental reasoning in the short term and long term, and due to this is dangerous. The reason there aren't more deaths by Cannabis is because it isn't legal yet, and if it was legal, there would be more deaths. The fact that there ARE deaths while people are affected by the drug at all is cause for action.
Know what's a drug? A drug is anything; a chemical that interacts with the brain. Cannabis is non-lethal, so the reason there's no deaths from cannabis intake is because it's im-*******-possible.

Quote:
It is a major folly of judgment to take a drug and use it for recreational purposes at all, and oneís ability to perceive the world as it really is can also become quite impaired at higher dosages. Marijuana does have addictive qualities, and if they receive effects of withdraw, they won't feel comfortable and will smoke weed more to avoid those effects, how addiction works. The state of mind people are put into while under the effects of Marijuana is different for everyone, as well-and, again, some higher-than-average doses can lead to hallucinations/illusions.
No, marijuana does not have addictive properties. I know because I've been smoking for the last three years. Never once have I experienced withdrawal from not smoking, no loss of appetite, nothing. As far as the effect goes, marijuana is nothing like other drugs (alcohol, etc). These drugs create a foreground effect where the drug is powerful and impairing. Cannabis is a background effect, enabling you to do your normal day-to-day things while high. And my god, I wish I could hallucinate while smoking weed, but you have no idea how impractical it is to smoke that much without falling asleep.

Quote:
The reason we keep Cannabis illegal is to keep MORE people from getting hooked on Cannabis, and possibly still doing illegal things to get at it. Even if Pot should be legalized, there would be regulations and punishments for breaking regulations won't stop them from being broken, possibly even more than the ban itself.
Actually, there are several well documented cases of cannabis' illegality being single-handed caused by businesses with conflicts of interest (big pharma, the prison industry, etc.). But by all means, forfeit your freedoms for the illusion of safety. I can keep myself safe, I don't need some suit telling me what I can and cannot put inside my body.

I'll pick apart the rest later.