View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 AM
GallantlyGlaceon Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to GallantlyGlaceon
Default [WAR XI] Where the Heart Is [Judged]

This is really a rush job, but I had to get something in this week. >.<

Also, the song near the end is Empty Apartment-Yellowcard. I recommend listening to it, especially since it'll help you get a feel of the emotions near the end. ^^

Rated PG-13 for minor swearing.

Riiing! Riiing!

Oh, who the hell is calling me at...
I opened my eyes and turned over, looking at the digital clock next to my bed. It took me a minute or so to discern the glaring lime-green numbers, but once I did, I groaned with pure annoyance. Five in the morning?! Nobody even gets up this early during summer!

I moved onto my belly and flipped my pillow over my head in a futile attempt to shut out the ear-grating noise. Whatever. I'll just call them back la-

“Hey baby? I know you're probably still asleep, but I was wondering if you wanted to come down to the park for a while. Sorry it's so early, but I just couldn't wait to show you this thing I got the other day! You'll love it!” The click of the message ending barely reached my ears.

Five seconds later, I was changing into my usual clothes and punching buttons on my phone with the speed of lightning. Barely a second passed before I heard the same feminine voice as before on the other end, “Hey Gabriel. I thought you were asleep?”

“Of course not,” I answered, my conscience ignoring the blatant lie I had just told.

“Then why didn't you pick up?”

“I was...” I glanced around as I tried to come up with an excuse, and noticed my hairbrush laying on the dresser. “...I was combing my hair! Yeah! You know how tangled it gets when I've been...” I paused, putting the phone down so she couldn't hear the yawn escaping my mouth before picking the device back up and speaking again, “...laying down.”

I could have sworn she rolled her eyes, even though I obviously couldn't see her at the moment. “Riiight. Sure you were.”

I acted as if I hadn't heard the skepticism in her voice, “Hey, you said you had something to show me at the park, right?”

The sudden change of topic seemed to brighten her up. “Oh yeah! I was at the Pokemart the other day, and some old guy was sitting next to the entrance, giving out these sweet Pokemon for free!”

I frowned slightly, not sharing the same enthusiasm as her. “Wait...you didn't take one of these Pokemon, did you?”

Due to her somewhat high-pitched voice, her shocked tone, when used, was always practically shrieking. I soon realized this when I found myself holding the phone a few inches away from my ear as she spoke again. “Of course I did! Those Pokemon were awesome! And free! Why wouldn't I?”

I sighed inwardly and adjusted the phone so that it was between my ear and my shoulder as I continued to get ready. “Clare, that guy could be crazy or something. No sane person sits in front of a store and gives out stuff for free unless it's like samples or something. It probably has fleas, or poison, or-”

“Oh, stop worrying so much! He wasn't a hobo or anything; he had one of those fancy lab coats that scientists wear! And besides, it couldn't possibly have fleas.”

If I hadn't been holding the phone with just my shoulder and ear, I would've cocked my head in confusion at her words. “How can you be so sure that it doesn't-”

She cut me off before I could even finish my query, “You'll see it when you come down to the park in five minutes.”

My mouth was wide open in surprise before she had even hung up. Five minutes?! What does she think I am, a Jolteon?

Nevertheless, I thought it better to comply and hurry up than keep her waiting. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, especially Clare... I shuddered as I recalled the last time I accidentally enraged her, and rushed myself even more to “freshen up”.

Any respectable dentist would've been mortified to watch me forgo teeth-brushing and simply guzzle a cup of mouthwash. I took a moment to look at myself in the mirror, brushing my long, mostly unkempt light brown hair aside and blinking my sapphire eyes several times in an attempt to make them appear more aware and not half-closed with exhaustion as they usually were right after a nap.

Once I was satisfied, I ran over to the door, nearly tripping numerous times on the various items littered across the dusty, wooden floor of my apartment. I really need to clean this place someday...Just as I was sloppily tying the shoelaces of my sneakers, I looked out the window and noted the slight darkness and approaching clouds on the horizon. There's a storm coming. I shook my head and decided to think nothing of it, immediately afterward throwing open the door and stepping outside.

The moment I was out of the warm comfort of my heated abode, however, my teeth were already chattering. I could feel an unpleasantly cool breeze on my exposed arms, and was glad I had chosen to wear jeans.

As I sprinted across the metal scaffolding, I glanced down at my wrist-watch. 5:28...I don't know what time she hung up, but I'm probably already la-

Before I could finish the thought, I found myself flying through the air. Oh shi-I felt cold fear during the heartbeat that I was falling, before intense pain replaced said frightened feeling as I tumbled down the stairs. I winced with every bounce, and upon finally hitting the bottom, muttered a stream of curses that my mother would surely smack me for if she had heard them.

I lay there on the cold, concrete ground for a few seconds, waiting for the pain to subside. Stupid idiot! How could you forget the stairs were there?

Sighing in exasperation, I stood up, being cautious not to touch any of the bruises on my body. Damn, that hurt. Well, at least no one saw me. Just as I turned around in the direction of the park, I heard giggling. I surveyed the area around me, finally resting my eyes on a small group of elderly women sitting on a bench a few feet away. Once they saw me looking at them, they covered their mouths with their hands. However, a few snickers betrayed the polite gesture, and they soon burst out into laughter.

I stuck out my tongue at them, and was about to shout something, but restrained my anger. I need to get a move on. I won't let those old hags take advantage of my fiery temper.

I dashed down the streets, not even pausing at an intersection to look both ways before crossing. It wasn't like I really needed to do so anyways. Most of the people inhabiting Goldenrod City were nocturnal, including myself, so it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd only been asleep for a couple of hours at the time that I was heading to the park.

Visitors always loved how the city was full of looming neon-yellow and orange buildings that were practically squished together in some areas, creating labyrinthine side-streets. For the citizens, however, it wasn't so awesome. I was, in my honest opinion, an average-sized guy, but I still had to squeeze my way down an alley between two huge warehouses in order to reach the main street.

I gasped as soon as I was in open space once again, before jogging over to the entrance of the National Park. As usual, there was a guard posted there to look out for any suspicious-looking people. And, again as usual, instead of doing his duty, he was passed out over the counter. A minute stream of drool was hanging out of the corner of his mouth and dripping onto the polished oak surface of the counter. I scowled in disgust and continued on through the opening without even bothering to wake him up. Figures. He was probably up all night just like everyone else around here. Am I the only person who goes to bed at a normal time?

Inside the park, it was actually peaceful for once. There were many gravel paths that led all around the park like a maze, yet there was still an immense amount of plant-life in the area. Granted, most of the woods beyond were fenced out, but at least the scenery was still there. Morning dew clung to the emerald-green branches of the potted plants placed here and there, and in the distance, the hills were shrouded in cloud-like mist.

I stood there for a few minutes, admiring the tranquil serenity, until I remembered the reason I came here in the first place. Ah crap! She's gonna be so mad at me!

I skimmed the area and saw a couple of benches next to one of the fences that I had somehow overlooked earlier. Sitting on one of these benches was a blonde, female teenager. I would've thought she was cute, had she not been glowering at me. For a split second, I thought about just walking around and acting like I hadn't seen her. Wait, she just saw you looking at her. You can't do that. I sighed under my breath, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jeans. Might as well face the music.

I shuffled over there, my head down as I stared at the ground in a way that most people would consider shy, although I wasn't at all shy. I was just scared out of my freaking mind.

When I finally got over there, I stood in front of her. She didn't say a single word, instead continuing to sit there and glare at me.

She probably expects me to apologize and break the awkward silence. “H-hey there, Cla-”

And that's when she exploded.

She immediately jumped up when I began to speak. “Gabriel Graystone! I told you to be here in five minutes! It's been ten!” she yelled right in my face.

It's a good thing I'm used to her somewhat short temper. If it were anyone else, I would've smacked them upside the head, hard. “Geez, Clare. Calm down. You sound just like my mother. I'm sorry,” I replied calmly, raising my palms as if I were surrendering to a battle.

The intense rage still shown in her cyan eyes for a few seconds, before returning to her usual perkiness as if nothing had happened. “Oh, I forgive you! I was just playing around!” she giggled.

Why do all of my girlfriends have to be bipolar? I pushed that odd thought of my head though as I spoke, “Oh, what about that Pokemon you got?” I was, admittedly, curious as to what she had gotten. She loves all that adorable fuzzy crap...Maybe it's a Jiggypluff?

She grinned eagerly, pulling a Pokeball out of her pocket. “I kinda wanted something more...fluffy, but this is still sweet!” she said, promptly throwing said device onto the ground.

I knew it. If it's not that, though, then what could it be? As it turned out, however, I would soon find out it was something much different.

The moment the Pokeball hit the ground, a crimson beam shot out of it, soon forming the shape of the creature that had been contained within it. A couple seconds later, the red glow faded, exposing a...thing.

“Uhh...what the heck is that thing, Clare?” I asked her warily, pointing at the Pokemon she had sent out. It had an orange body that was almost shaped like a tack, with strange cerulean eyes and two bolts of silver electricity constantly around it.

She frowned slightly at my puzzlement. “It's a Rotom, silly. They're like...what did the guy call it...plasma! Yeah, they're like electricity, except in Pokemon form! Isn't that awesome? Like if the power ever goes out, we can just use this cute little guy!” She was pretty much squealing by now, hugging the Rotom so tightly it had to be painful, as if it were a stuffed animal and not a living being...It was living, wasn't it? So far, it hadn't reacted at all to my confusion or Clare's excitement, simply hovering there with a blank expression.

If she can touch it without being electrocuted...”Hey there, little guy,” I said, carefully reaching out to pet it.

As soon as my outstretched fingers made contact with it, though, pain rippled through them and quickly throughout the rest of my body. I screeched and pulled back, examining the slight blackened, scorched surface of my fingertips.

Clare, despite her adoration for the Rotom, was horrified. “Rotom! Why did you do that? I've never seen you hurt someone!” She turned to me with an expression clearly full of pity. “I'm so sorry, Gabe. I don't know why he did that. Did you put on some weird deodorant or something?”

My body was still aching slightly from the electrocution, and I just barely managed to shout out between gritted teeth, “Of course I didn't, Clare! That thing's just weird! What the hell possessed you to buy something as stupid as a glowing ball of electricity?!” I wasn't usually so harsh even when angry, but the fact that I was in searing pain fueled my irritation.

She backed up a couple of inches, obviously hurt. “You don't have to be so cruel, Gabe,” she said softly, patting the Rotom's back soothingly.

I scoffed at her. “Cruel? I'm just being reasonable here, Clare! I thought you were gonna have some stupid adorable thing, and then you have this! How in the world did you think I would like that?!”

A tense silence enveloped us for a second, before I saw tears welling up in the corner of her eyes. “Oh, don't be such a crybaby,” I muttered, not realizing that she'd heard me.

That was the last straw. The tears came in full force and she sobbed loudly, running away. Instead of chasing after her and apologizing, I stood there, watching as her slim form disappeared behind the walls of the guard outpost. She was still clutching that bothersome ball of plasma, which was still so blank that it could probably be considered dead if it weren't made of electricity.

I don't know how long I stood there without moving an inch, but eventually people started streaming in. That's my cue to go. I thought solemnly, trudging slowly back home. I'm fairly certain that a couple of people I know greeted me as I walked by, but I didn't even look up. I was too engrossed in my thoughts.

As soon as I got home, I merely shook off my footwear and walked over to the bed, collapsing onto my soft mattress. I would've been glad to lay back and regain the sleep I lacked due to my morning affair, but no matter how much I tried, I knew I wouldn't be able to do much of anything until I got my swirling emotions and mixed thoughts sorted out.

I know I shouldn't have gotten so angry at her, but she was being stupid! Who goes out and buys a Pokemon like that? Why couldn't she have just bought a Cleffa or something? They're harmless, and she could probably squeeze them all she wants like a plush or something. I sighed, running a hand through my messy hair. I shouldn't be so angry at her. It wasn't her fault. I mean, she's always been a sucker for stuff like that. And besides, it wasn't hurting her, just me.

I closed my eyes for a few seconds. ...In fact, she's always kind of annoying like that. I mean, she's cute and cool sometimes, and then other times, she gets on my nerves. “Maybe I should just break up with her...” I unintentionally said out loud, my voice breaking the stiff silence.

Suddenly, I heard other sounds drifting in from the kitchen. Is someone coming in? I got up and peeked around the corner. Of all the times to visit m-

It wasn't a person coming in, though. Barely audible music was coming out of the speakers of my old radio on the table. I frowned slightly as I walked over to it, picking it up. Huh? I didn't turn this on...

Instead of turning it off, though, I turned up the volume. I haven't listened to this thing in ages. I wonder what's playing...

“Call me out
You stayed inside
One you love
Is where you hide...”

I nearly pressed the off switch. Oh god, I hate this band. I thought to myself, yet curiosity and boredom prevented me from turning off the music.

“Shot me down
As I flew by
Crash and burn
I think sometimes
You forget where the heart is~.”

I actually found myself smiling at this. That's exactly how I feel right now. Should I break up with Clare, or try to mend our relationship? My mind was heading towards the latter option, but then I recalled how I'd screamed so hatefully at her and sighed with sorrow. Even if I wanted to, I'd never be able to. She won't just forgive me for being so mean to her.

“Answer no
To these questions
Let her go
Learn a lesson
It's not me
You're not listening now
Can't you see
Something's missing
You forget where the heart is...”

I was enjoying the soft tone and fitting lyrics. I guess I am learning a lesson from all this, and now I don't even know what to do anymore.

“Take you away
From that empty apartment
You stay
And forget where the heart is
Someday
If ever you loved me
You'd say
It's okay!”

That...that's almost like it's telling me what to do. I shook my head. Nah, I'm going insane. There's no way that a song would happen to come on that would tell me what I should do.

“Waking up
From this nightmare
How's your life
What's it like there
Is it all
That you want it to be
Does it hurt
When you think about me
And how broken my heart is...”

This stream of lyrics made me think of the consequences of whether I broke up with her. If I broke up with her, I'd be single and lonely. Plus, she might turn out to be better in the future. She has lots of good qualities that tend to get overlooked...

“Take you away
From that empty apartment
You stay
And forget where the heart is
Someday
If ever you loved me
You'd say it's okay...”

I didn't even notice I was crying until I saw the tear fall onto my sleeve. Yeah...She may be over-dramatic, but she can be really kind too...And even resourceful.

“It's okay to be angry and never let go
It only gets harder the more that you know
When you get lonely if no one's around,
You know that I'll catch you when you're falling down
We came together but you left alone
And I know how it feels to walk out on your own
Maybe someday I will see you again
And you'll look me in my eyes and call me your friend...”

I stood up, finally having come to my decision. I have to ask her to forgive me for my stupid outburst. I don't know whether she'll accept me or not, but I'll never know unless I try! I had only shed a few tears, but I didn't want other people to know I had cried. I went over to the sink and poured some water over my face as the last of the song's lyrics boomed out of the radio's speakers.

“Take you away from
That empty apartment
You stay and forget where the heart is
Someday
If ever you loved me
You'd say it's okay
It's okay, it's okay...”

The instruments were just dying down as I headed for the door. Before my hand touched the doorknob, though, I turned around to look at the radio one last time. Wait...the reason I hadn't turned that on was because it stopped working months ago.

Shrugging, I stepped out the door. Guess it must have turned back on or something. Old junk does weird stuff like that. I thought to myself as I shut the door behind me, not noticing the tack-like, glowing shape that slipped out just as I was closing it...
[12:38:20 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH" <---- Yup.
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."

Last edited by GallantlyGlaceon; 06-29-2012 at 04:51 AM.