View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
alaskapidove Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Default Re: The URPG Times: Special TPW Edition (4/12-5/3)

Interview with Alaskapigeon;

How long have you been involved with the URPG?

I have been in URPG for a little over two years now. I joined the second day the BMG branch was open.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself (Positions held, interests, etc)?

I'm a ref and grader, I like pina coladas, long walks in the rain, and ushering condemned spirits into the afterlife.

How many condemned spirits have you ushered, would you estimate, over the last two years?

Oh, I'd say it's somewhere in the thousands range now. All dem fornicators and fiends.

What are some of your favorite features included in the game?

Dat story section has always been a soft spot of mine. It's really helped me to grow as a writer and the other graders (DAT SCOURGE) have gotten me to read some pretty epic stuff. 8)

How do you feel about the community?

The community here is excellent. I have made the best friends of my life here and they help me get through every day. The URPG is an amazing place filled with amazing people and if I could go back and do everything again, I would still come here.

I'd say that the best part of the community here is how everybody seems to genuinely like and care about each other. Not much of a question, but I definitely agree with the people we're surrounded by being excellent. (:

Indeed. We're all a family here. It makes me happy.

Is there any advice you'd have for newer players?

Don't drink anything anyone gives you and a good first Pokemon to write for (other than Magikarp) is either Poliwag or Machop. Machamp and Politoed are both great Pokemon and they only take 5k to write for.

Those are all very solid suggestions!! However, what if you offer them a pina colada? Would that be safe to drink, or is that how you usher spirits?

No. Don't ever accept drinks from me. Ever.

SO THAT'S WHY I CAN'T REMEMBER THE OTHER NIGHT. What happened after I passed out from that drink?

All the things happened.

How long have you been a Ref/Judge/Ranger/Grader for?

I've been a grader for a pretty long time. Not sure exactly, but I think I was one before I used AIM a lot so it's been like a year and a half. I've been a ref since last summer.

What attracted you to that (those) position(s)?

I like reading everything and so I figured it'd be a good way to make money. As for reffing, I just thought it'd make me more useful.

Of the pieces that you've read, are there any particular favorites you'd suggest others read? (YES, I PUT YOU ON DA SPOT. XD)

Well, I didn't grade it, but I love Scourge's Looking for Hell and Running Through Daisies (not biased at all). Another favorite of mine is Jess' Bad Egg. Scourge's style is in all seriousness incredible. She's at the quality of a published writer and her prose is unique and she's got it developed to the point where I could tell her apart from someone else based on her writing. In Jess' case, I think she's a master of suspense and is an amazing horror writer. There's lots of other people's stuff that's great too, but those guys just came to mind.

I'm sure that both of them appreciate the praise. From what I've read of their work, both are indeed truly phenomenal writers.

What are some of the challenges of being a Ref/Judge/Ranger/Grader?

Being a grader is tough because sometimes you have to read and review things that are not... good. In any way, shape, or form. But you grade because you love it, so even when it's difficult, it's a labor of love. As for reffing, whenever I have to do something that requires remembering things really fast, my brain panics and I end up doing something stupid. 'S the same reason I suck at driving. I'm doing everything great, 'cept I'm in the wrong lane... Yeah.

Hopefully you avoid any mishaps in both driving and reffing, then. DON'T DRINK AND REF/DRIVE. It sounds as though you truly enjoy grading stories. What do you believe are the best qualities for an aspiring Grader to have?

Graders should be patient and have good people skills and judgement. Even when you grade a terrible story you need to be able to pick out good things so that the author doesn't get discouraged. You also need to have a lot of integrity n' stuff like that. Grading is like anything else, where you get better the longer you do it, but if you're already good at writing you'll probably make a good grader. If not, it's not too difficult to pick up.

It sounds like a good attitude is the most important thing for those looking to become a Grader. I could see it being a challenging balancing act, what with walking the fine line between criticism and appearing rude or insensitive. Have there ever been any instances where you've felt bad having to fail a Story capture?

Oh, yeah. There've been times when I could tell someone put in a lot of effort but still came up short of what they needed. It just happens and the best thing you can do is to help the person improve. Chances are the kind of people who exhibit that much effort are likely to take your advice and work at it.

What I like so much about the Stories are that, in addition to the reward of earning a Pokemon (or several), it offers the writer a chance at personal growth. I hope that everyone reading this writes at least one Story, as I feel there's a lot to be gained by doing so.

What do you like most about the position(s)?

I like reffing because it allows me to help newbies and I make a metric buttload of cash. Grading is rewarding for me because I can help people become better writers and hone my own abilities.

Reffing sounds to be a viable way for anyone to add some extra money to their pocket. Who should consider applying?

Pretty much everyone. It's not a difficult thing to do and it's easy to find someone who will help you practice for your Ref Quiz/Test.

I'd say everyone reading this should feel comfortable applying for being a Ref. I know from experience that Refs are always in-demand, so hopefully a few more people will enlist.

What are you looking forward to most about the coming expansion?

I'm really excited for all the new members. I love the members we get on BMG, but to get so many will be incredible. I'd like to add more members to our family here because it'll make everything even more fun. :D

I'm excited about that, myself. It'll be great to see so many new faces, and to get to know a (hopefully large) portion of them. We're already a [S]dysfunctional[/S] fun crowd, and I really hope the new members become a part of our family here. Lastly, any closing words? Be they of wisdom or the lulz (or both)? :D

I'll repeat what Scourge has always told me:

"Follow your heart (if you still have one), eat lots of cheese, keep your ears clean, and watch out for ducks."

Thanks for the interview, broham.

That is sage advice, indeed.

Thank you for your time, Alaska!! Stay [S]sexy[/S] glorious. (:

-----

Interview with WinterVines;

How long have you been involved with the URPG?

I've been with URPG since September of 2010. I am Driftveil City's Gym Leader, which is Ground-typed. I'm also Sandalstraw Division leader, which is the contest branch. It's tough-attribute, so I have Ground, Rock, and Steel Pokemon. I am a Ranger, Grader, and Referee. I like the URPG style of battling because it's a little different than the games. It needs a different mind set, and I like that most battles are like a puzzle. The community here is great. They've been like a second family to me.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself (Positions held, interests, etc)?

I became a Ranger first, on the 13 of January. I loved the roleplaying and the chance to make multiple characters to take on expeditions. My Ranger character is my favorite one. The biggest challenge here is when voice disks don't work, because you want your Trainers to get a good mon list and have a good time.

I was a Grader next, on the first of Feb, so a year and three months about. I'm going into writing for a career, and grading is very much like editing, which I love to do. The biggest challenge in this job is other people's grammar. XD

I was a Ref last, because I'm a great procrastinator XD I did the test on August 7, so nine months on that one. I like math too, and reffing is nice and simple. It's also fun to watch your dice screw people over and hax XD You actually learn a lot about battling by reffing. The biggest challenge here is figuring out the small random facts that don't come up very often. Sometimes people have to hop on the game and test them, especially with some of the B/W changes.

Is there any advice you'd have for newer players?

What I'd tell newer players: Battle a lot. If you really want to learn how, do it often. You learn more from losing than you do winning. Most importantly, just have
fun. ^^

Story of the Week
By Buoysel

This issue's Story of the Week goes to a rather special member, whom we have all come to love and adore. He's German, fuzzy and a little illiterate, but this co-editor of the URPG Times has wrote a story which I thought deserving of Story of the Week. Having personally graded it, I can assure you that, although not the most readable of things, a lot of effort has been put into the story by GMANDIDDY. We catch up with Michael in the next few chapters of Revelations, as well as meeting Martin and some evil-sounding Pokémon. In a world where not many know of the existence of these otherworldly creatures, how will Michael stop them in their tracks? Will Martin ever find his lost family? Of course, those questions aren't answered in the story, but I think they will be sometime soon. It's a super exciting thing, okay?

CONGRATULATIONS. Eat this 1,000, Gmandiddy.