View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: Is stealing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I don't think that it's as uncommon as you think with people who pirate and buy CD's for artists that they really like. In general there is motivation in it that most people nowadays don't want to deal with the hassel of file sharing websites and what not. It's not an uncommon scenario for one to just buy songs on itunes afterwards for any particular artist. Hence why these services have been doing well in the music market. It's certainly very much grey area.

However, it is known that artists make most of their money from concerts rather than from the music CD's themselves. Them being known on a wide scale without having to spend millions to pay to get onto the radio itself is in itself worth more for the artist economically speaking. Record companies, on the other hand, does make their money from CD sales. With that, it should be stated that this is why record companies and not artists are so much against pirating of music.
I don't think that's a strong point. The "hassle of file sharing" is not necessarily a strong motivator to stop pirating. If it were, then the users would likely not be pirating in the first place to avoid this hassle altogether. Also, in most cases, pirating is rather easy and requires only a couple of clicks to get music, with the biggest drawback being the possibility of getting viruses. Moreover, there are many other low-risk programs that consumers use to obtain music. Hundreds of thousands of people use "Youtube to MP3" converters and get their music in no more than a mere 5 seconds. Of course, this is just one of many methods to get music for free.

But with so many ways to get their hands on free music in just seconds, I cannot find any remotely logical reason as to why they would stop downloading free music upon discovery of some new artist. In fact, it should promote piracy even more. Imagine that you are a collector of different varieties of something small, like small carvings or sculptures. You have a vendor who has a vast array of choices, and is willing you give you what you want for free. While searching through his wares, you see a group of carvings with new designs that interest you. How much sense does it make to:

A) Leave the location that has everything you want already.
B) Pay at another location when you can already get what you want free where you are now.
C) Stop what you have already been doing and follow a course of action that is obviously less cost efficient than what you were doing at first.

If there is honestly a strong, logical reason behind this that I’m missing, I would like to know.

Quote:
The question is the morality of stealing, after all. There has to be certain cut off points for when things become "moral". Where you place that cut off point is another matter. And yes, this should be discussed in the context that the majority of humanity itself has to deal with the exact issue that they either have the option of starving or stealing because of the hierarchal structure we live in. Take a random man in rural Bengladesh and you suddenly find yourself to be in a situation where a large number of the questions you propose either doesn't exist or they don't matter at all.

Whether or not the consequences of getting caught is not of the essence of this discussion.
In a topic titled, “Is Stealing Wrong”, it is fair to argue whether or not it is a wise choice to steal because that can often help answer the question of whether or not it is morally sound. Take this instance with two possible sub-examples. There is a man running toward a river, away from a swarm of savage beasts in some jungle. The man has a gun with one bullet, and knows that he can’t outrun the beasts. He also knows that if, and when, they catch him, they’ll beat the living hell out of him before they finally kill him. In example A, the man kills himself to avoid a painful death. In example B, the man keeps running and eventually reaches the river where, to his luck, there is a boat passing by. He’s saved.

This example could be picked apart on its likelihood and tested on its relevance and whatnot, but the essence of our discussion is still there. The point is that there was a more favorable situation for the man, and he found it by examining his circumstances and not making a rash decision.

Different “starving situations” can be so variable that it would be silly to make a cut and dry assumption that the person in question must starve or steal to survive. The original post itself presents a lot of different scenarios that ask you if it's alright to steal under given circumstances. Sure, the varying conditions of starving people act as a subtopic under the question of starvation or theft, but in a topic with so many probable and different conditions, it is rather inaccurate to make such a statement across the board.
Quote:
And yes, this should be discussed in the context that the majority of humanity itself has to deal with the exact issue that they either have the option of starving or stealing because of the hierarchal structure we live in. Take a random man in rural Bengladesh and you suddenly find yourself to be in a situation where a large number of the questions you propose either doesn't exist or they don't matter at all.
Also, I’d like clarification on this. How does the “hierarchical structure” that we live in allow us to deal with this situation in this cut and dry context? It’s obvious that humans live in a hierarchical structure. That’s why some of us are starving and others aren’t. But I don’t understand why this gives any validity to what you were saying.
And you've indirectly proven my point yourself by selecting a specific scenario, out of many possible ones, and explaining how some of the specific circumstances, or absences thereof, affect one's position to steal. It’s not that those questions don’t exist, you’ve just answered “No” to them, thereby forming a particular situation that should be analyzed independent of others that differ from it.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 03-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.