View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: Is stealing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Stealing music implies that it is a physical CD one is stealing. If you are talking about pirating, which is a much more grey zone issues, then we can begin a discussion.

The issue of the matter is that you cannot definitively say that pirating a particular song will inhibit the income of artists, managers, and production companies. What's missing from your equation are the gained sales from pirating. Several bands in the past relied on Napster in order for people to notice them and end up buying their albums. Even now with the advent of the 99 cent song downloads free distribution of songs certainly help. Case in point, many artists such as Sarah McLaughlin are against the draconian music industry offenses against pirating.

Secondarily, what you provided was an extrapolation and nothing more. Record companies did that long ago and was already shot down because it is nothing more than an extrapolation. It is difficult to separate the numbers of "pirate, and would not buy anyway", "pirate, bought it", and "pirate, but would have bought it if it couldn't be pirated". Hence grey area.

Case in point, I never knew moumoon existed until I randomly downloaded one of their songs. I currently own 3 albums by moumoon and 1 more is coming in the mail soon. Had there been no free distribution of this music, moumoon would have seen a strict 4 less album sales because I was never exposed to it.
This logic doesn't make much sense to me. If artists sometimes depend on pirating to get noticed, then money should not be a part of the equation. For example, if I'm pirating music and a particular band or artist is brought to my attention, I'm not going to buy their music, when I've already been pirating in the first place. I'll just continue to pirate their music. There is almost no motivation to buy music in this fairly common scenario, eliminating much, or possibly all of that "gray area". I fail to see the logic behind illegally downloading music and proceeding to buy it. That being said, I would call your "case point" both a strange and unusual rarity.

Then you could argue that there is a long-term flux of money with big events that depend on how well the artist is known, like concerts. But even that can't apply here because many lesser-known artists don't have many of these events anyway. If they do, it's likely not on a large scale, so the crowd that hears about them from pirating should be almost negligible. It might apply more to mainstream artists that are known worldwide, in which case both the small audience and miniscule change in money do not matter anyway.

Quote:
It'd be nice if kids don't work in sweat shops and get to go to school, but the only other option is death by starvation. There will always be morally ambiguious situations to any act. I think that you are downplaying the situations of the many who are starving, because often there are no favourable options as imposed by societal constraints.
It is because this topic is so ambiguous that there are so many other options to those that are starving. There are some scenarios where the only viable option is stealing food for survival. But this is just such a specific situation, and often there are other possible solutions. Have people in this family attempted to find work? Is it possible for them to find work? What other food resources are available? Where the family lives plays a large role in this as well. Does the family live in or near a large metropolis where there are likely homeless shelters or locations where they can do odd jobs for a few bucks?

These are a few of many random questions that greatly affect the individual circumstances of those who consider the option of theft. Well if stealing is an option for you, then you have to weigh the consequences in the high probability scenario that you are caught. Perhaps you're given a slap on the wrist and told to get out. Maybe you're locked up for some time. In some areas of the world, you can be killed. Is it worth taking the chance when there is probably another option with less drastic consequences? It depends solely on the case and the thought-process of the starving victim, as well as the value of the lives involved and the graveness of the situation at hand.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 03-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.