View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: If by "Christian love" you mean hatred & contempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessu View Post
Books and chapters were never removed from the Bible. Everything was decided before it was put together to best show the messages that God was trying to convey through people.

Actually...

* Psalm 151
* Wisdom of Solomon
* Susanna
* 1 Maccabees
* 2 Maccabees
* 3 Maccabees
* 4 Maccabees
* Sirach
* Baruch
* Tobit
* Bel and the Dragon
* Azariah
* Epistle of Jeremiah
* Prayer of Manasseh
* 4 Ezra OR 2 Esdras
* Judith
* Additions to the Book of Esther
* 1 Esdras

Were all removed from the Protestant Bible in 1769.

But I will go through the verses you quoted and point out that what you're trying to say is simply a misunderstanding on behalf of the reader. The Bible is full of symbols and paraphrasing, and it takes a lot of studying to actually get what it's saying because of how it was worded back then. It's also due to the Greek and Latin translations that it comes from.

The first account is indeed stating that man was created after all the animals were. The second one, however, is just stating that God brought the animals He created already to Adam. I can understand the misunderstanding with how this is worded, but I guarantee you that what I say is true.

Your statement of the first account is flawed, as you forgot to include the verse before it (chapter 1 verse 26), which states, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Basically, that says God created a man, and both genders for the animals. The woman of the human species came later.

This argument is questionable, considering the Old Testament's supposed authors may or may not have even existed. Much of the Old Testament was rewritten during the Babylonian captivity.

John 1:43 states nothing about John whatsoever ("The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.”"). John 3:22-24 is about the baptism of Jesus ("After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24 (This was before John was put in prison."). Failed argument.

1 Timothy 2:8 states, "8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing." which says nothing about praying in public, nor do the previous verses (or the ones after it) hint at it. It's basically saying that prayer should be done among men, as they are heads of the household.

I see no contradiction, I see Matthew saying to do good works for the glory of God, not to do good works just for the attention.

You do realize that those books were written by two different people, right? Either one of those accounts could have been hearsay.

Which suggests that most of the Bible is hearsay. That puts the Bible's validity in a very difficult spot.

It looks like you misquoted John 3:13 (No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.). As for the argument you're presenting, I guess I can give you that. I'm not familiar enough with 2 Kings to be able to translate it.

You failed to quote the verse before 1 Corinthians 7:6, which states, "5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control." As for the other verses you pulled from 1 Corinthians 7, Paul is simply giving advice of his own will. Another failed argument.

I hope you realize that the Bible was written by MANY different people (some books state who the author is), and the four books of the Gospel was written by four different people, each writing from their own perspective of what they saw and heard.

Yet strangely enough, it was all written by God. Hm?

It's not a Christian's job to "keep someone nice and Christian." It's a Christian's job to spread the Gospel (SPREAD, not shove it down peoples' throats, as in, we're supposed to talk about it and not force it on anyone) and model their lives after Jesus' life and live by the fruits of the spirit.

You are responsible for you fellow Christians. You are a fellowship that claim to believe in the same thing. Even the Bible implies it.
"Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." (Eph 4:3)

I agree, it can get dangerous, but that's because of the extremists that pop up and think that everyone should believe what they believe so the world can be at peace and not have to fight amongst themselves about what the believe. Humans like simplicity. If they don't know about something or if someone's beliefs differ from their own, they get scared, angry, etc., and do something about it.
Also, the Holocaust was just an extermination of the Jews because Hitler had an extreme hatred towards them, despite that he was one himself. As for his reasons why, I've yet to go into them, so don't pin this on me.
Thank you for at least saying that it is dangerous. Not necessarily just because of extremists, but at least now we are getting somewhere.

I am German. I know all about the Holocaust. Hitler was Roman Catholic, and refers to God in his book, Mein Kampf. The hatred of the Jews stems all the way into the Catholic Inquisition. Jews were despised by Christianity, and many Christians still share that anti-Semitic viewpoint today.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-01-2012 at 10:11 PM.