View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu
Default Re: If by "Christian love" you mean hatred & contempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
Ooo the "The Bible was written by God" argument! I love that one!

All the Bible is is circular logic. I can do circular logic too. Watch.

God didn't write the Bible. Why? Because the Bible isn't perfect. Why isn't the Bible perfect? Because it was written by people, who are imperfect. But God wrote the Bible! Therefore God is imperfect! But god can't be imperfect. Therefore god doesn't exist and the Bible is a load of ****!

The Bible is imperfect because humans have been trying to "perfect" it for centuries. Chapters have been removed, even entire Gospels.... For example the Gospel of Judas. (look it up)
Books and chapters were never removed from the Bible. Everything was decided before it was put together to best show the messages that God was trying to convey through people.

But I will go through the verses you quoted and point out that what you're trying to say is simply a misunderstanding on behalf of the reader. The Bible is full of symbols and paraphrasing, and it takes a lot of studying to actually get what it's saying because of how it was worded back then. It's also due to the Greek and Latin translations that it comes from.

Quote:
First (Genesis 1:1-2:3)
(Humans were created after the other animals.)

And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image.... So God created man in his own image.

Second Account (Genesis 2:4-25)
(Humans were created before the other animals.)

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
The first account is indeed stating that man was created after all the animals were. The second one, however, is just stating that God brought the animals He created already to Adam. I can understand the misunderstanding with how this is worded, but I guarantee you that what I say is true.

Quote:
First Account (Genesis 1:1-2:3)
(The first man and woman were created simultaneously.)

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Second Account (Genesis 2:4-25)
(The man was created first, then the animals, then the woman from the man's rib.)

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them.... And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Your statement of the first account is flawed, as you forgot to include the verse before it (chapter 1 verse 26), which states, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Basically, that says God created a man, and both genders for the animals. The woman of the human species came later.

Quote:
Moving to the Gospels and later:

John (the Baptist) was in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. Mark 1:14 John was not in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. John 1:43 & 3:22-24
John 1:43 states nothing about John whatsoever ("The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.”"). John 3:22-24 is about the baptism of Jesus ("After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24 (This was before John was put in prison."). Failed argument.

Quote:
Can one pray in public? (Matthew 6:5-6) Jesus condemned public prayer. (1 Timothy 2:8) Paul encouraged public prayer.
1 Timothy 2:8 states, "8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing." which says nothing about praying in public, nor do the previous verses (or the ones after it) hint at it. It's basically saying that prayer should be done among men, as they are heads of the household.

Quote:
If we decide to do good works, should those works be seen? Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works." 1 Peter 2:12 "Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that ... they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation." This contradicts: Matthew 6:1-4 "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them…that thine alms may be in secret." Matthew 23:3-5 "Do not ye after their [Pharisees'] works ... all their works they do for to be seen of men."
I see no contradiction, I see Matthew saying to do good works for the glory of God, not to do good works just for the attention.

Quote:
When was Christ crucified? Mark 15:25 "And it was the third hour and they crucified him." John 19:14-15 "And it was the preparation of the Passover, and about the sixth hour; and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your king…Shall I crucify your king?" John 19:14-15.
You do realize that those books were written by two different people, right? Either one of those accounts could have been hearsay.

Quote:
Has anyone ascended up to heaven? Elijah went up to heaven: "And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." 2 Kings 2:11 "No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man." John 3:13
It looks like you misquoted John 3:13 (No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.). As for the argument you're presenting, I guess I can give you that. I'm not familiar enough with 2 Kings to be able to translate it.

Quote:
Is scripture inspired by God? "all scripture is given by inspiration of God." 2 Timothy 3:16 compared to: "But I speak this by permission and not by commandment." 1 Corinthians 7:6 "But to the rest speak I, not the Lord." 1 Corinthians 7:12 "That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord" 2 Corinthians.
You failed to quote the verse before 1 Corinthians 7:6, which states, "5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control." As for the other verses you pulled from 1 Corinthians 7, Paul is simply giving advice of his own will. Another failed argument.

Quote:
Now who wrote the Bible?

Of the four Gospels in the New Testament; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Three of them, Matthew, Mark and Luke, are called the synoptic gospels. This is because they agree moderately well on the life and teachings of Jesus, although each is a little different from the other two.
I hope you realize that the Bible was written by MANY different people (some books state who the author is), and the four books of the Gospel was written by four different people, each writing from their own perspective of what they saw and heard.

Quote:
There is some evidence to suggest that the genesis creation story (namely the first chapter), existed before the book Genesis did. And was part of a polytheistic religion. Hence the leftover of:

Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
The existence of those pronouns refers to God and his angels.

Quote:
There is also evidence of lots of civilisations (China, etc.) being older than Noah's flood.
What does this have to do with how the Bible contradicts itself? Explain.

Quote:
NOW: if you were to tell me that when I was Christian that I was a "bad" one, then you are as well. See according to the Catechism it's, get this, YOUR fault that I'm atheist. Yep. You failed in YOUR duty to keep me nice and Christian. Your fault. Dig it? YOURS. Now you have to say that in your next confession.
It's not a Christian's job to "keep someone nice and Christian." It's a Christian's job to spread the Gospel (SPREAD, not shove it down peoples' throats, as in, we're supposed to talk about it and not force it on anyone) and model their lives after Jesus' life and live by the fruits of the spirit.

Quote:
I believe that religion, especially this blind faith, is dangerous. Millions have died in religious conflict, in the name of their respective gods. Isn't killing still killing whether or not it is in the name of a deity? Is it still wrong to believe that killing is bad? Should I walk over to my neighbor who is Muslim and shoot him, and when the police question me I say it was because he was a non believer? It sounds wrong because it is. Yet millions have died in the same conflict for the sake of faith and religion. The Crusades, the Spanish Conquistadores, the Inquisition, the French Wars of Religion, Protestants vs. Catholics, Thirty Years War, Taipeng Rebellion, the Islamic notion of Jihad, the Jewish Milchemet Mitzvah, the Christian Milites Christi, the Holocaust, the Reconquista, and many more.
I agree, it can get dangerous, but that's because of the extremists that pop up and think that everyone should believe what they believe so the world can be at peace and not have to fight amongst themselves about what the believe. Humans like simplicity. If they don't know about something or if someone's beliefs differ from their own, they get scared, angry, etc., and do something about it.
Also, the Holocaust was just an extermination of the Jews because Hitler had an extreme hatred towards them, despite that he was one himself. As for his reasons why, I've yet to go into them, so don't pin this on me.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |