View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: If by "Christian love" you mean hatred & contempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Faith isn't a lousy attempt to justify your beliefs. It is a real thing, faith is. But faith in the unprovable and the completely illogical is ridiculous.

But I am not here to argue the existence of God. I am here to point out that religion justifies any violent act or threat, and it has been observed in the passed. I realize that times change, but it still does not prove me wrong. While Christianity may not be as violent as it was before, it is obvious to see that any religion is a double-edged blade.

It may offer you comfort and provide, in your mind, the most logical explanation as to how things work and how we got here, but at what cost? Humanity's scientific, technological, and social growth has been continuously slowed by the very religion you believe in. Millions upon millions of people have died for this thing called faith.

I suspect you would vote against homosexual marriage then? The U.S is so very behind in a lot of things that concern ethics. The very continent that your religion really took power in is now far more secular than your country has ever been.

You want to know something scary about your religion? Seventy eight percent of the U.S population is Christian. This includes Catholics, Evangelical Protestant, Mainline Protestants, Mormonism, Eastern Orthodox, and Nondenominational. Forty seven percent of those Christians believe the world is 6,000-10,000 years old. Forty seven percent believe that the book of Genesis really took place, literally. Forty seven percent believe that you can literally be possessed by demons. Forty seven percent think that anybody who doesn't believe in not only their religion, but their denomination is going to hell. Forty seven percent of Christians in the world's technological superpower believe that talking snakes are real. Forty seven percent believe that condoms are unreliable and evil. Forty seven percent scream for war.

Do you get it? Religion is a very scary weapon, no matter who wields it. I have no problem with you believing in a deity. Sometimes, because of my Christian programming, I find myself asking the sky for something. The only difference between you and I is that I am not ignorant to the fact that religion is an outdated, corrupted, vile poison in modern society. Deists, thumbs up. Theists, ohhh you theists. Supporting those who kill, fight, and scream. Even if it is unknowingly done.

I don't have faith that wind is there. I know wind is there. We can observe it, feel its effects, and explain why it happens. You, however, have faith that a deity exists despite the fact that you cannot observe it, feel any of its effects (that "feeling" of god has been explained through psychology), or explain how it got there or why it does what it supposedly does.

What is this?

That post was my opinion on Christianity and arguing between religions. Didn't say anything about violence or war, and I can't even see what you're trying to argue with that. It looks like you're arguing some nebulous point purely for the sake of arguing. Are you trying to tell me I'm wrong to believe in Christianity because violence has arrived from it in the past? If you are, then the argument's flaw is readily obvious. It's by this thought process that so many people had flawed and skewed ideas about Muslims after 9/11. You have allowed the acts of certain people in the past to seep into your mind and tamper with your opinions on the religion as a whole - that is what's ridiculous, and it'll easily offend massive amounts of people.

When a Christian commits an act of violence, whether he believed it was because the teaching wanted him to or not, it doesn't mean that Christianity is a model for murder. You must understand that every person's individual act is not always governed by the accurate teachings of any religion. Many people commit violent acts because of the way they were raised, things they saw in their life, or just how they have come to think. In most of these scenarios, the religion has almost no relation to the violent act. And if the person claims it does, it doesn't mean that they're correct.

So no, I don't understand a thing you're arguing, or why. This is a statement of my opinion, and I'm afraid that useless statistics or common, generic attacks on the religion have no hope to ever change that.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 01-31-2012 at 03:22 PM.